Sign in to follow this  
Display Name

Ricky van Wolfswinkel back to Sporting Lisbon on loan

it''s not as simple as give him a free or sell him for £10. He has two years left on his contract and he is not going to find another club willing to pay him what he is on at Norwich. This means we will be liable to pay off part of his contract. A loan might be the most cost effective option for the club. I guess there will be a loan fee payable and a club maybe willing to offer him higher wages as they would only be commited to a years worth of wages.

As before, three main options:

1. Pay up his contract = very expensive.

2. Loan him out and therefore get another club to contribute towards his wages = less expensive, but shelving the problem.

3. Give Alex Neil a few months with him in the forlorn hope he is up to the game, or otherwise he might show enough to command a small transfer fee even if it not be sufficient to impress on the Premier League stage.

This all assumes the player hasn''t got a mind of his own or that his agent isn''t working hard to find him a slot in a club that might be interested in having him, if not his wage expectations.

Can anybody add to this list of unappetising options?

I do get the impression that opinions of the player have somewhat polarised in his absence.

He is not as bad as some are now making out, nor as good as others now appear to think he could be.

Decent player, wrong club, wrong league, wrong country.

I can agree with what you are saying Indy in that when he first arrived his movement was good and i think playing a different style of football more suited to his ability and getting the service that he required, and this obviously or so it would seem affected him, but this mental attitude or mental toughness still has to be present when playing in the premier league no matter how frustrating situations may seem.

Another loan seems to be prolonging the pain, especially when the loan recipient isn''t serious about buying. To be honest I''d rather see Hooper and Lafferty leave, at least RVW seems more professional and willing to put the graft in than those two. That would leave us with RVW, Grabban, Jerome and Loza, but ideally you''d want a Holt type instead of RVW.

I think Lafferty''s quality and temperament can be called into question, but not his ''graft''. He was prepared to move to Turkey just to get first team football when it was clear he wouldn''t get that at Norwich.

I have a lot of respect for Lafferty and his openness to moving around Europe to get regular football. (Not that it means I would play him regularly next season though)

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think Lafferty''s quality and temperament can be called into question, but not his ''graft''. He was prepared to move to Turkey just to get first team football when it was clear he wouldn''t get that at Norwich.

I have a lot of respect for Lafferty and his openness to moving around Europe to get regular football. (Not that it means I would play him regularly next season though)[/quote]I agree, I wrote that in a hurry and intended the graft to refer to Hooper and the unprofessionalism to Lafferty. I think they''d be seen by most as the main criticisms of each player.

UPDATE: Sporting Lisbon have reportedly met City''s valuation of roughly £3.8m for the transfer of RvW. Personal terms being discussed.

Don''t see how it would affect it, different positions and very different players.

Sporting are having a big re-build this season with a cash injection. Sure they are looking to bring in players for all areas of the squad.

It looks its all down to getting the personal terms agreed; better for us to have a quick break & facilitate this departure if needed.

His reputation is destroyed every newspaper article starts with the word flop.

You would think he would want to stay to prove a point but it says a lot about his character that he runs from his problems.

That said not sure he would have got much of a chance anyway as he is such a loser

[quote user="Canary Dogg"]His reputation is destroyed every newspaper article starts with the word flop.[/quote]Perhaps he should change his name.Ricky van Waveney has a ring to it.....

Both Floppy Dogg and Floppy van Wolfswinkel made me chuckle

mixed emotions on RvWs departure;  

Disappointment both at the fact he failed to deliver on his potential/our over-hyped expectations & at his vilification by some sectors of our fans.

Very pleased that the whole sorry saga is finally drawing to a close and any uncertainty or speculation is done

then back to sadness at the prospect of facing all the posts to come either celebrating each goal & lamenting his leaving or the paradoxical told you so views when he suffers another season on the bench.  

will it never end?  

And we didnt even get the chance to say goodbye/f%-k off..

zipper I am with you there. I feel we never saw the best and the style of football that led to his goals is something that I like... yet we haven''t and won''t be playing it, although I like the Cameron Jerome style.

Good luck Ricky no doubt you will be scoring in other leagues.

Good luck to him. Lisbon is a fantastic city with a great climate and he is going back to a club he knows and a league where he will score goals. At this moment in time he isn''t good enough for a top European league and probably never will be

Oh dear. And in my head I''d already said goodbye.

Can''t we all chip in to make up the shortfall?

[quote user="Fuzzar"]Oh dear. And in my head I''d already said goodbye. Can''t we all chip in to make up the shortfall?[/quote]

We offered him a four year deal,  its got to be worth our while as a club to make up an offer for some of the difference to bring some closure??

Early days of negotiations - Sporting were never going to be able to match the amount Norwich are paying him. Just how much Ricky is prepared to compromise, and how far Sporting''s new found cash will stretch.

Think a deal will be struck, but expect that Norwich may end up having to cover some of his wages for the remaining period of the contract.

If he does end up staying because he cant agree a compromise in wages it will be very awkward for him at Norwich.

The sage of RVW could turn from novelty figure to hate figure, at lease in my eyes.

[quote user="NCFC198"]If he does end up staying because he cant agree a compromise in wages it will be very awkward for him at Norwich.

The sage of RVW could turn from novelty figure to hate figure, at lease in my eyes.[/quote]I don''t quite see why that should be so. We offered van Wolfswinkel a four-year deal. Which was a gamble. If he had been a success that would have been beneficial to us. As it turns out it is to our disadvantage. But you cannot blame the player for using that now as leverage, if that is what is happening. And if he is prepared to spend the next two years stuck in Norwich and not playing proper football then he is entitled to do that.Myself I believe he will leave for Sporting, and if we think we have got a reasonable deal that doesn''t leave us with too much financial egg on our faces the details will be leaked to the EDP, and if not they won''t be.

[quote user="Canary Dogg"]In fact he was such a flop I was amazed he managed to impregnate his other half. Must have been done by artificial insemination[/quote]
Yay Waveney. Sometimes you''re good! [:D]

In his first interview when we were ''drueling'' all over him I remember him saying that "not everyone loved him".He is so right. I never saw a more incompetent/less talented player wear a Norwich shirt!Perhaps Jim Conway from a few years back. Close run thing though!