Sign in to follow this  
Display Name

Ricky van Wolfswinkel back to Sporting Lisbon on loan

Just been made aware of Norwegian journalist Jan Hagen''s tweet this morning regarding the future of RvW. The guy is fairly accurate so will be interesting to see if this has substance.

Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall Sporting will try to loan former striker Ricky van Wolfswinkel, as Norwich is willing to let him go. J.Jesus a fan of the Dutchman. [A Bola]

Personally I''d prefer to either give him a go up until January, or if not just get what we can for him this summer in the way of a permanent transfer.

Will we get a loan "fee?"

Unlikely.

Will Sporting be able to cover all his wages?

Unlikely.

This seems like another stop-gap measure in order to shelve the problem. It seems like the Wolfswinkle saga will continue to be a drain on our resources for some time to come. Such a move would confirm this.

I''d like the January option as well, but will there be room in the squad?

If we get another striker in, as seems probable, what chance will he have in any case and at what a cost assuming he will be on full wages.

Quite frankly, it has become a lose, lose situation for the Club.

Our only hopes of absolving ourselves from the mess (and it looks like St. Etienne may have been less that straight with McNally) is to sell him on the cheap or for him to suddenly metamorphosise himself into a decent striker in the realm of Alex Neil.

The best chance of achieving either of these would seem to be to keep him at our club until January. If he succeeds (unlikely), then all to the good. If he shows signs of some sort (likely) then he will be more marketable than he seems to be at the moment.

Hardly satisfactory though.

Sporting have recently had significant investment from a new board member - hence the fact they could poach Jorge Jesus from Benfica (that would be like Everton taking Jose from Chelsea in the Premier League).

No club will be prepared to match Ricky''s current wages, that just isn''t going to happen - the club might be able to secure a permanent move with a fee largely based on payments relating to achievement - goals, trophies etc.

RVW has no future at Norwich, no manager or CEO would want to pump all that money into wages for someone who is likely to be 4th choice at best. Club and player want to draw a line under the who affair and a return to a club where he is still loved would be best for everyone.

Norwich need to accept the financial hit for Ricky, and learn from the process. Norwich also need to remind themselves, ''this was bad, but not Osvaldo bad''.

(Osvaldo cost Southampton a combined £25m in fees, wages and contract termination)

If Ricky comes back discusses with AN that he still wants to prove himself in the Premier League then superb. Prove it to AN and he can be part of the squad. I still think we will buy a striker.

But again if there is a squad with 25 players + we can loan them out. You cannot have enough goal scorers and if Ricky proves himself to AN and the team then he can be a valuable return to the team.

If a package comes in which is worth it then fine if it is not in our best interest then we won''t do business, this is not as much of a problem with our promotion. It could have been a headache had we failed to win promotion.

Ricky has the summer to prove it or a move will materialise, I think we need different striker options and we do have some strikers on our books that fit AN plan A. We do have plentiful of strikers on our books but an upgrade is needed for this league with an additional striker coming in.

Jerome - will play no question

Grabban - will play but needs to develop quickly if he is a starting premiership player

Hooper - will be a plan B

RVW - ?

Lafferty - ?

if he''s leaving on loan again then to me it means 2 things:

1. he has no future here.

2. Potential clubs aren''t prepared to take the risk at this stage, Ricky needs to score goals, if he does the "0''s" will appear on the transfer fees... if he doesn''t then he becomes an expensive free transfer where someone might take a risk if he lowers his wage demands.

I don''t think it was down to Hughton; NA, AN and the St Etienner manager have all deemed RVW surplus to requirements... he''s been away for nearly a year now.. had a chance to get his head right and live up the potential he had before...

it''s not happened... he''ll probably bag 30 goals this season in a lower quality league (a couple of teams apart) and get the move... some on here will say "we told you he''d come good! why did we sell?!"

ultimately it''s been a shambles from day one... Pre season in his first year he looked shaky, unfit at best, scored a goal against Everton in his first match.

was he ever good enough? no... I was excited when he signed.. but ability wise was never there.. I think deep down Ricky knew it too.... he gave it a go but was never ever going to be good enough and slowly lost confidence in himself as the club did with him...

time to move on and good luck to him.

Yes, a difficult one and surely "lose, lose."

I suppose lending him to Sporting and getting them to cover some of his wages (and until his contract ends?) would, though, be cheaper than paying up his contract now.

OR give AN a few months with the player (if possible) as we have a some millions to go before we come to an Osvaldo situation. God forbid!

I''ve said this on other threads, but RvW has no future at Norwich City. No way he''s going to get in ahead of Jerome and Grabban, and potentially a new striker. Fourth choice, when we play one up front, and this without taking into account Gary Hooper. Where exactly is RvW going to fit in?

Sporting makes perfect sense as the club to take him off our hands.
In addition to it being his previous club, they have also not managed to keep hold of Nani, who was on loan there and very successful (He''s off to Fenerbahce). This would be a great PR move for them if they could get RvW back.

Just watching his highlights in Portugal again. There are some awesome finishes in there but the defending for every goal is atrocious, League 1/2 standard at best and the game seems slower, more one dimensional and there''s no pressure on the ball from anyone.

For me he''s a half decent striker who needs a partner to play off and isn''t suited to this countries high pressure, fast, physical game. He''s probably about on par with Grabban and Hooper but is totally the wrong type of player for us and I think we should just cut our losses and move on now, I''m not interested in seeing him given another chance because it would be futile, he''s never going to make it here

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]Just watching his highlights in Portugal again. There are some awesome finishes in there but the defending for every goal is atrocious, League 1/2 standard at best and the game seems slower, more one dimensional and there''s no pressure on the ball from anyone.

For me he''s a half decent striker who needs a partner to play off and isn''t suited to this countries high pressure, fast, physical game. He''s probably about on par with Grabban and Hooper but is totally the wrong type of player for us and I think we should just cut our losses and move on now, I''m not interested in seeing him given another chance because it would be futile, he''s never going to make it here[/quote]I don''t know if that is the same video someone posted here when he joined, but I made the point at the time that he only seemed to score one kind of goal. Either the ball came to him in a bit of space and he shot or headed the ball first time (as with his one goal against Everton), or he had enough space to take a touch and then shoot. And at that kind of instant or near-instant finish he was OK (which may well explain the idea posted here that in training he looked good. At that one thing, yes).But barring one sort-of exception there were no goals he made himself, bursting through defences, or beating a player or two. Nothing that involved imposing himself physically.  It was all pure finishing. Fine in itself but nowhere near enough And not just in the Premier League. St-Etienne fans came to the same conclusion in what is supposed to be a less physically demanding league than ours.

I would call the Portuguese League more physical than the French one.

I think the lack of strength argument is a bit simplistic. RvW did well against some horrible bruisers for Sporting and played with his instincts - at Norwich he started that way but soon started to get into his own head a little by the looks of it. He was trying to force the situation rather than doing what he does best, first time shots in the box.

Throughout his career he had never really suffered a goal drought before and I don''t think he knew what to do about it - the shocking service he had also couldn''t have helped.

I guess when you start to doubt your own ability you try to use strength to compensate, and that isn''t really Ricky''s game - but I wouldn''t say Portugal is less physical than England and it certainly isn''t less physical than France.

( Also, you don''t tend to see great defending on YouTube compilations of goals, otherwise there wouldn''t be many goals. This video of Bony at Swansea makes Premier League defending look awful for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4S_JSxaOI0 )

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I would call the Portuguese League more physical than the French one.

I think the lack of strength argument is a bit simplistic. RvW did well against some horrible bruisers for Sporting and played with his instincts - at Norwich he started that way but soon started to get into his own head a little by the looks of it. He was trying to force the situation rather than doing what he does best, first time shots in the box.

Throughout his career he had never really suffered a goal drought before and I don''t think he knew what to do about it - the shocking service he had also couldn''t have helped.

I guess when you start to doubt your own ability you try to use strength to compensate, and that isn''t really Ricky''s game - but I wouldn''t say Portugal is less physical than England and it certainly isn''t less physical than France.

( Also, you don''t tend to see great defending on YouTube compilations of goals, otherwise there wouldn''t be many goals. This video of Bony at Swansea makes Premier League defending look awful for example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4S_JSxaOI0 )[/quote]Bethnal, I will happily accept your view on the comparitive physicality of the Portuguese and French leagues, but the consensus view of St-Etienne fans (I didn''t see one dissenter) was that he just wasn''t strong enough  - as a lone striker - for Ligue 1. And Ligue 1 is generally viewed as less demanding than the Premier League.Possibly that is the answer? Perhaps in Portugal he was often playing off another striker, who was taking at least some of the physical load, while at St-Etienne he was certainly normally playing up front by himself. And with us he certainly didn''t look physically up to the lone striker role. In other words it is not so much a question of the toughness or otherwise of the football played in this league or that, but that he needs to find a team that will play 4-4-2 or even 4-2-4! Perhaps Doctor Who could transport him back to around 1958...

RVW would have probably fitted into a Stringer team, but I can''t see him fitting into a Norwich team anytime soon. Next season will likely be a battle to stay up, and I just don''t think we''d make the sort of chances he''d thrive upon.If his dissenting interview is to be believed then at least the club can learn that our reputation for top class football is long gone, despite what some journalists and commentators would have us believe.The standard we had was hard to achieve, but it went quickly and is ever harder to get back in the present era. Fingers crossed Alex Neil will get there, at least so that we can better afford some flair up front, but I''m not holding my breath.

I agree that he''s not what we need for a battle in the premier for survival, although I think we might have more about us than that under Neil.

I think his dissenting interview was more to do with Hughton and the style of play and by the time Adams got in his mind was already elsewhere, suspect he''d already done something via his agent in preparation for leaving.

AN has done a lot of work in the last 6/8 months to put something back in the club, there is a better togetherness and team spirit around the club now.

If I''d have been interviewed at that stage I would have been much more negative!!

I do hope that AN does give RvW a try. Yes he was rubbish this season, but it was Adams who was the manager and had no experience. Personally I reckon that he will play next season though but I do wonder how Grabban will do next season as he has no Premiership experience

Could he not play as a central one of the 3 behind the lone striker (Jerome / Grabban)??He has technique, can finish (so weve been told), so surely would benefit from the space created in front of him.

[quote user="HazzaJet"]I do hope that AN does give RvW a try. Yes he was rubbish this season, but it was Adams who was the manager and had no experience. Personally I reckon that he will play next season though but I do wonder how Grabban will do next season as he has no Premiership experience[/quote]

I''m sure you''re trying to make a point but, given what you''ve stated, I really don''t understand what it is. Surely the experience that Neil Adams had with RvW was extremely limited at best, so what on earth does your reference to Adams mean?

Just get rid of the useless tw*t

Sell for £10. All he''s worth.

Take the hit cut ties and let''s get in a decent striker that actually scores goals

I am unsure of Norwich''s finances, but surely the focus has to be on the defence. Season after season in the Prem, it is not the team with the greatest strikers, but the team with the most organized defence that survives.

We have some pretty shaky options at the back, heaven forbid we get any injuries there. I know RvW''s wages are an issue, but fire selling him off and getting in another untried asset can''t be the most pressing of our needs. Looking at the strikers we have, I think they can do a job to keep us up. Looking at the defenders we have makes me shudder.

Personally, I think that having a balance between defender and attack is most important. Last year, burnley had a fairly solid defence but struggled to score any goals. So yes we do need to strengthen the defense, but also our strike force I don''t think is capable of scoring the goals to win us the tight, nervy six-pointers.

I doubt we would get a £10 for the useless streak of shit.

Give him a free get his wages off the books and eradicate him from NCFC history

Our children and their children must never find out that we signed the Wolf.

[quote user="CanaryChris"]I am unsure of Norwich''s finances, but surely the focus has to be on the defence. Season after season in the Prem, it is not the team with the greatest strikers, but the team with the most organized defence that survives.

We have some pretty shaky options at the back, heaven forbid we get any injuries there. I know RvW''s wages are an issue, but fire selling him off and getting in another untried asset can''t be the most pressing of our needs. Looking at the strikers we have, I think they can do a job to keep us up. Looking at the defenders we have makes me shudder.[/quote]It is a matter of opinion but out of all our defenders and strikers arguably the one player we have who is mid-table Premier League quality, as opposed to relegation zone, is Olsson. Some might add Bassong, another defender. Whereas none of the strikers, based on past performance, is better than bottom-six, with van Wolfswinkel the worst of that group of four.As to finance, what we are prepared to pay in wages is as relevant as the amount of cash for transfers. We will not jeopardise our future by offering what for us is silly money. But we should have about as much to spend on transfer fees as two years ago, when it we shelled out roughly £20m, with another £8m in potential add-ons. So quite enough to make significant improvements in defence and attack.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]Portuguese newspaper E Bola said the rumour is spreading rapidly...[/quote]

It''s gone viral.

I thought he would be a City hero had a great reputation, scored goals lots of the bigger clubs had been looking at him, but he has been such a disappointment especially for the money we paid and breaking our transfer record to get him, i wished we had got Bony instead but hindsight is 20/20. If he goes to Sporting on loan i hope he performs and scores goals because it may mean we get some money back for him. He just did not seem cut out for the premier league he is not the first and wont be the last, im just hoping that we dont have more expensive players like him that just cant cut the mustard.

[quote user="tricky974"]He just did not seem cut out for the premier league[/quote]Whilst I can appreciate this in regards to the more physical aspect of the game, I think he''s being done a massive disservice in other areas.When he first arrived his movement and runs were excellent, the only problem was that NO-ONE was giving him the right balls and instead Hughton tried to make him play as a traditional target man which never has, and never will be his game. This clearly started to affect him mentally, and instead of focusing on playing his game and letting things come, he tried too hard to make things happen and ended up not even making the great runs and movement he started the season with, the epitomy of which was the infamous ''pass to no-one'' which showed exactly how out of sync he was with the way we were playing and the people around him.In the right setup, with the right supply, I''m confident RVW would be a 12+ goal a season striker at this level, BUT very few teams at this level play in the manner which would accomodate him and thus it''s a catch 22 situation for the guy. In a way this is similar to Hooper, in that he seems at his best when playing off a front man as part of a two, yet few teams do this these days and thus despite his finishing being probably the best at the club, he isn''t going to get the games because he can''t offer the type of play that the manager is looking for most of the time.So, despite thinking he''s still good enough for the prem, he still doesn''t fit into Neil''s style of play, as he isn''t going to run the channels with pace nor is he strong enough to hold the ball up either, which means we either change how we play to fit him in (can''t see this happening) or we help him find another club that will do this, which is probably why Lisbon are very interested in having him back.