Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Norwich City Ladies Football

Having watched and enjoyed the women''s world cup (especially without them diving all over the place like the prima donnas in the men''s game!) I wonder if anyone could give an assessment on our Ladies team? Are they anywhere near the top 2 leagues in the Ladies game?

The official website seems to be a year out of synch..........

Kathy Blake''s photo.

On the subject of ladies football here is Costessey Ladies in 1982. You might recognise someone on the back row far left. [;)] Of course the years have taken their toll but I am sure many of you will recognise the person who was a former NCISA secretary. [:P]

Shame that a post about ladies football has to result in an hilarious comment about bras. About time that some people grew up and supported female sports rather than resorting to the typical unfunny sexist remarks.

To answer the question NCFC ladies played in the South East Div 1 last year, but finished bottom. ITFC finished 2nd from bottom. Both clubs rely on sponsorship away from the Football Clubs, and are seen as very much the poor relation.

It could be argued that this is the 2nd tier as the Womens Super League is played in the summer, and some players play in both.

It''s great that even in the 21st century you still get a few "bra" gags. That really is very funny indeed, and doesn''t reflect at all on what an unbelievably naff sort of person makes them. Perhaps we could also make their kit more revealing? Oh, the laughs would never end.

If this link works it might help.

http://full-time.thefa.com/ProcessPublicSelect.do?psSelectedSeason=95852224&psSelectedDivision=553258467&psSelectedCompetition=0&psSelectedLeague=872938

Norwich Ladies play at Plantation park and have done for a number of years now.

They went through a number of changes recently and have lost their "centre of excellence"...

if you want to support an upwardly mobile Womens side come and give us a cheer at Mulbarton Belles, one of the oldest women''s teams in the county and free to watch.. season starts in September and all home games are 2pm k o at Mulberry park!

the girls would be really appreciative of the support and what a shot in the arm for an area of Grassroots football which sometimes gets overlooked.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]

Kathy Blake''s photo.

On the subject of ladies football here is Costessey Ladies in 1982. You might recognise someone on the back row far left. [;)] Of course the years have taken their toll but I am sure many of you will recognise the person who was a former NCISA secretary. [:P][/quote]Hmm!  Looks familiar, can''t remember if I did or not. [;)][:D]

Any chance of the club taking them into the fold properly, taking them seriously and making them a real part of the club, letting them use the training facilities and play at Colney etc? Many other clubs around the country are starting to do this, I see no reason why Norwich shouldn''t be doing it too! Especially given the boost England have given to Womens'' football.

Also no reason why Norwich couldn''t push up into the top few divisions given some decent backing. It can''t possibly cost that much - from what I understand it looks like they''re run on a shoestring at the minute; surely the club could afford to step up?

Womens football pyramid for this part of the world looks like this

WSL 1

WSL 2

-------

FA WPL Southern League

FA WPL Championship Division 1 SE

Eastern Region Premier

Eastern Region Division 1N

Norfolk County League Division 1

Norfolk County League Division 2

Norwich Ladies are in FA WPL division one and wouldve been relegated this season were it not for two other teams folding. The reserves pulled out of the ERWFL Div 1N half way through the season.

As it stands the setup with the Ladies is reliant on volunteers and is run on a shoe string.

The budget to run a team in the league the ladies are in is £8-10k per year, absolute peanuts compared to the men.

The biggest issue is retaining the talented players, the ironic thing is I fully expect Lowestoft Town ( promoted from ERWFL Premier last season) to leapfrog both Norwich and Ipswich next year.

Oh and they couldn''t play at Colney, needs to be a proper enclosed ground that meets ground grading requirements. The honest opinion is that NCFC ladies are linked by name alone

I wouldn''t know who''s who in the women''s side, and not much is turned up via a google image search. So maybe the club would generate a bit of interest if they put a few hi res pics up on their site? There aren''t any videos of these lasses on the club Youtube channel either.

not sure what the clubs plans are for the ladies side, it''s a shame there isn''t more done to push them.

Even though I personally have very little interest in the women''s game, it does surprise me that our club doesnt appear to have made an effort to make Norwich City women''s team a part of the club. Maybe it will happen, makes sense to me now that the women''s game is getting a higher profile.

as nice as it all is

don''t see why the club have to be involved at all would just be a drain

Archant occasionally run an article on NCFC ladies, however it does seem that no one at the EDP really cares.

Great local football coverage of all adult leagues barring the NWGFL... Come on Archant lets have a bit more on division 1 and 2.. it would help ALL teams and give them a huge boost!