Sign in to follow this  
T07

Why can't I see anyones names?

I have this problem too, I can see it on the PC at work but not my PC at home, strange!

(Marty)

We''ve never quite got to the bottom of this problem. I know of someone who can see names on the EDP site but not on the Evening News site (or vice-versa).

My suspicions are:

1 - Your browser is hopelessly out date - get IE6 or Firefox.

2 - Some Java component is missing (www.java.com - click the big download button), although shouldn''t be a problem, because there are <NOSCRIPT> option around the names.

3 - You have some security software (e.g. Norton Personal Security) that prevents Javascript for sites not in a trusted zone.

Are the names missing on both the shwmessage.aspx pages (messages in a thread) and message.aspx (threads in a forum) page. Is it all names (names can go missing if there is a  standard apostrophe '' rather than a curly one - ’ - due to it not being filtered correctly for the Javascript).

Your browser + version and personal security software (e.g firewalls, not things like Ad Aware) may help us sort this... although there is some talk about new forum software (again!).

I also have this problem, its VERY annoying! It affects shwmessage.aspx and post.aspx but I can see user names ok in message.aspx. I don''t get this problem on any other site (or not that I have noticed!).

I am using Windows XP home edition, IE6, I have downloaded the Java stuff, installed and rebooted to no effect, and have the Pinkun site as a trusted zone. I am at a total loss as to what to try next.

Thanks for the help though Vince, do you have any other ideas we could try?

Sometimes this happens to me too, but none of the above reply.

This isnt everyone either, just some people now and again in certain threads, normally it is fine.

Well for any moderators who may be looking in I''m running XP fully updated, latest Java and Firefox 1.0.4

Turned out to be Norton Internet Security. I have to turn it off to view this site..... strange though, I browse dozens of sites and this is the only one that gives a problem........