Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Robbie Brady

Totally agree Bor, there appears to be an underlying theme in most our fans that this squad will finish top 14 and that''s just not really going to happen....it might but more likely to battle all season....17th would be great.

[quote user="MancTiger"][quote user="93vintage"]A good player, but still too much of a rough diamond to be worth anywhere near £7m. If anyone thinks Norwich should pay that kind of fee then they need their head tested.We shouldn''t be looking to pay a penny more than £3m, so McNally ought to walk away after a bid of that figure has been rejected.£3m is about right in the current market for someone who hasn''t really lived up to expectations.[/quote]

I don''t think you fully appreciate how the market has moved on. You do know there is a MASSIVE TV deal coming in next year.

Not sure how you come to the conclusion Robbie Brady hasn''t lived upto expectations. I''m willing to bet you''ve never seen him play more than a couple of times and I''m not sure whose expectations you are talking about. If you mean United''s expectations then you are right, but then neither Norwich City nor Hull City are swimming in that pond!

As I''ve said if you, and more importantly your club''s management, think Brady is not worth more than £3m then I for one will be delighted because we won''t even talk things over with him until you start getting close to the quoted £9m. That price is there because we don''t want to sell him, not because we think we can get that much.[/quote]Yes I was referring to ManU''s expectations. TV deal or not, Brady could leave for nothing in a year''s time and no club is going to splash out £9m under these circumstances.I think Hull do want to sell, because they''d rather take the money now than risk getting nowt. But saying all that, some premiership club with more money than sense could easily take him for £5-6m. If we got him for £3m (or less) then it''s a good signing, otherwise I''m not bothered.Personally, I''d rather buy a decent prospect from abroad or the lower leagues than pay inflated amounts for prem players.

If I was Steve Bruce, I''d be more concerned as to why the powers that be above his head at Hull allowed one of what will likely be one one the Championship''s key players in Tom Ince to move to a direct promotion rival?

Although I don''t see Brady as an essential acquisition, I can see that he''d have his advantages. Primarily a LW, he''d provide another option from BJ there, with the similar advantage of good ability to track back and help the LB.

The fact that he can also play as a WB or LB means we also get cover for at least two positions in one player thus freeing up one squad place vacated by Garrido. That doesn''t make him worth £9m, but I can see why we''re interested.

We have already signed two new players in Dorrans and Mulumbu and Odjidja-Ofoe and Andreu will be like new players in the pre-season, so there''s no desperation, except perhaps at CB where I think Turner will be leaving. That''d be my priority position to fill.

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="Pabs"]

I''m not saying we do a QPR and splash out on mercenaries, but a player like Brady, 23 years old with two good PL seasons under his belt is likely to cost between 5&7 million.

Keep bidding low for players and we are likely to be outbid...

[/quote]

Nzonzi with one year to go on his contract left Stoke for £7m.

Do we want Brady or not? Low bids will just pi$$ off the selling club.

This reminds me of Donacster when he ran the club.
[/quote]It doesn''t me. I don''t remember us being prone to put in low bid after low bid when Doncaster was chief executive. What this does remind me of is our attempt to sign Hooper from Celtic in January 2013, when Neil Lennon, who was their manager, accused of us of making insultingly low bids that were nowhere near the asking price. "We have had an improved offer, if you want to call it an improved offer, from Norwich that’s been turned down automatically.”And a while before then, also with McNally as chief executive, when our early offers of compensation to Colchester for Lambert et al were - as a tribunal later decided - way too small.

[quote user="Indy"]Totally agree Bor, there appears to be an underlying theme in most our fans that this squad will finish top 14 and that''s just not really going to happen....it might but more likely to battle all season....17th would be great.[/quote]

17th would be a disappointment - it would be acceptable to finish there if we have a bad season, as to stay in the league is imperative, but at this point in time, it would seem that to consider us being 17th would be disappointing.    We all know that the league is tough, but if we perform to potential, we can emulate our 11th and 12th finish we had under Lambert and Hughton.  AN seems to get players playing at their best and if he does that next year, we should look forward to another successful season - and to me that would mean a mid to upper table position.

Actually, it is clear that Hull are prepared to sell.

If Bruce didn''t want to sell him, why bang on about how much was offered for him? The easiest thing to do would be to say, yeah, they offered money for him, but we''re not selling, so it doesn''t matter how much they offered as he is not for sale. Instead what did Bruce say?

“This can unsettle players, do this, that or the other, and it’s all part of the game. But Robbie Brady will not be going for anywhere near that.”

So he is pretty openly saying he could be going, just for not that price.

At this point I would say he''s worth £4-5million. Purely because of his contract situation. Snodgrass had a longer contract when comparing, and better assists and goals which in the premier league = more value/money.

I''m not saying which player is better in their expected role. The typical prices suggest that forwards and attacking midfielders who score are the most heavily sought after and cost more money.

If Brady had three years left on his contract, then he may be worth £9million tops. But even then it is doubtful. He''s got good pedigree in a lower premier league team.

Prices have become a bit daft - when looking at clubs with money to spend. Mings was ridiculously overpriced. Consider we bought Olsson for what? £2.5million?

As pointed out, the money doesn''t come along until the 2016/17 season and Norwich haven''t even played a game in the 2015/16 season yet so don''t have all of the money for that yet either.

The market is unpredictable, I think that is all you can say at this point in time. Last season Fulham paid £10million + for McCormack who scored 19 goals in 51 appearances aged 28, Bournemouth paid £3million for Callum Wilson who scored 23 goals in 50 appearances aged 23, and Norwich signed Jerome for £1.5million who scored 21 goals in 45 appearances aged 28. (stats from soccerbase).

Of the three, Jerome was the only one with real Premier League experience having played for Birmingham, Stoke and Crystal Palace.

Make of that what you will, but the evidence suggests that there are many factors involved in a transfer, and that the promise of funds in two seasons time is not really one of them. That would come down to add ons. Which is something else worth mentioning considering one would assume that Bruce is only talking about what is being offered up front . . . .

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="Pabs"]

I''m not saying we do a QPR and splash out on mercenaries, but a player like Brady, 23 years old with two good PL seasons under his belt is likely to cost between 5&7 million.

Keep bidding low for players and we are likely to be outbid...

[/quote]

Nzonzi with one year to go on his contract left Stoke for £7m.

Do we want Brady or not? Low bids will just pi$$ off the selling club.

This reminds me of Donacster when he ran the club.[/quote]

Poor comparison really. You''d have to consider Stoke to be an established premier league side now, and Nzonzi has attracted a lot of attention from teams further up the table before.

Sevilla are a step up on Stoke in that they are in the Champions League qualifying round so not only can offer Nzonzi that platform to play in but also offer more money or be squeezed of more money for the player.

£7million for a player hitting his prime at 26/27 and being bought by a top 5 (by 16 points) side in La Liga is not really that much money - especially if he is being bought to be a regular.

Again, just take a look at the sorts of money being spent by different clubs at different levels in the premier league. Most clubs bellow mid table will not spend more than £10-11million on a single player. You look at the players that go for that amount and they are typically strikers - the Benteke''s etc. Lower premier league defenders tend to be bought for around £1-5million at best.

Again, we signed Turner, Bassong for less than R.Bennett as neither of them broke our transfer record which he held until we signed RVW I believe. So for around £3.5million maximum.

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="MancTiger"] Best of luck to you in the Premier League, you''re going to need it!! That''s no disrespect to you, it''s the same situation for any newly promoted Club. The deck is well and truly stacked against you, Watford and Bournemouth. CTID[/quote]

MancTiger, I''m sure you mean well with some of your comments, however, your input on this point comes across as a tiny bit patronizing. I''m sure you realize the history of Norwich City in the top division of English football dwarfs anything Hull has on their resume. What have you enjoyed in your history....four seasons in total, is it? We may have to be counseled by the big boys on the matter but advice from Hull ( are we a city or are we a tiger ), don''t make me laugh. 

[/quote]

I didn''t read it as patronising at all - it''s a statement of opinion that newly promoted clubs have a tough time in the PL, which is hard to disagree with.  This has nothing to do with the respective history of Norwich or Hull as far as I can tell.  

Whatever we have achieved previously, and however many years we have spent in the top division, we are still a newly promoted club with a manager who hasn''t managed in the PL before.

[/quote]

First of all, I did say, "a tiny bit patronizing." Secondly, of course all newly promoted clubs will have a tough time. My point was that Norwich, as a club, has much more experience at having to deal with that than Hull City. That is the relevant part of history that you seem to think is irrelevant. Obviously, a football club is an organization of which the manager is a part. An important part, granted, but there are others in the organization who have experienced the choppy waters before that we no doubt will encounter again. I regard that experience as valuable. You appear not to. Fair enough.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]If I was Steve Bruce, I''d be more concerned as to why the powers that be above his head at Hull allowed one of what will likely be one one the Championship''s key players in Tom Ince to move to a direct promotion rival?[/quote]

That''s easy to answer. When we loaned Tom Ince to Derby last season, we didn''t think we would be relegated. Ince was not considered to be good enough for the Prem so in order to make the loan attractive for Derby we put in a £5.75m buy out clause and it was that that Derby chose to pick up.

Personally I''m not disappointed to see Ince go, he''s a bit of a mercenary and not in the same league as Brady and that''s the honest truth.

Bruce is upset now because we are in the Championship and that is Ince''s level.

17th and anything above is our goal.

We will have the smallest finances of any club in the premiership. Our squad is made of players who have played in the premier league, but not made the move from relegation battlers.

Not a problem, we do have experience, one thing that worried me was that our relegation campaign came with no fight from many players. AN won''t allow that, but we had a bad psyche at that point.

Until we have more investment and more players similar to the achievements of mulumbu would I consider us a mid table team.

[quote user="smooth"]17th and anything above is our goal.

We will have the smallest finances of any club in the premiership.
Our squad is made of players who have played in the premier league, but not made the move from relegation battlers.

Not a problem, we do have experience, one thing that worried me was that our relegation campaign came with no fight from many players. AN won''t allow that, but we had a bad psyche at that point.

Until we have more investment and more players similar to the achievements of mulumbu would I consider us a mid table team.[/quote]I doubt that will be true in terms of predicted income, where we should at least be ahead of Bournemouth and Watford.

Think the owners have quite a fair bit more money than our current ownership. I may be wrong but I think we are certainly the least richest club in the premier league.

Hope we stay up and we can begin to have interest from new investors

[quote user="smooth"]Think the owners have quite a fair bit more money than our current ownership. I may be wrong but I think we are certainly the least richest club in the premier league.

Hope we stay up and we can begin to have interest from new investors[/quote]Almost certainly true! However there are limits now on how that extra money can be used. The question is probably is how much above their income those owners are willing and/or able to spend. But I would expect us to be in the bottom three clubs in terms of wages.

Apparently another bid has gone in, this time it''s £3, 250,000 and a crate of Adnan''s Southwold Bitter!!! :-)

Not wrong smooth, Watford are spending large sums on ground upgrades and also making a few solid signings.

Bournemouth have a few quid behind them too, it would appear that we have a lot of players now back on huge salaries who need to be removed before we get more signings.

Just an observation but as always said by our board they will not putting the club back under financial risk.

I would expect a couple players out the door before any significant money spent.

Would be a great signing imo. I think he would add a bit of class to the midfield and his deliveries from set pieces it excellent. If they want 5m then I think that would be a bargain.

[quote user="MancTiger"]Apparently another bid has gone in, this time it''s £3, 250,000 and a crate of Adnan''s Southwold Bitter!!! :-)[/quote]

Sorry, we wouldn''t be offering anyone some swill from Suffolk.

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="MancTiger"]Apparently another bid has gone in, this time it''s £3, 250,000 and a crate of Adnan''s Southwold Bitter!!! :-)[/quote]

Sorry, we wouldn''t be offering anyone some swill from Suffolk.

[/quote]There are exceptions to every rule. I would be very happy to be offered the contents of the Adnams wine store at Southwold...[<:o)]

[quote user="smooth"]Hope we stay up and we can begin to have interest from new investors[/quote]Truly pathetic.Much better to stick with what we have and trust rather than throw ourselves at the mercy of some apparent ''saviour'' where the chances of improvement are small but the risks of failure are great.

[quote user="Stiflers Mom"]A bit aggressive from you Lapps my plastic friend[/quote]Not aggressive at all. Why would anyone want to replace the people who have taken the club from a very precarious position at the time of their takeover, to one that is in the strongest financial position in the club''s history. Premier League football, our own ground/training ground, grade one academy and no debt. And yet fans still want more - preferably from some famous, rich ''investor''.This is the best time to be a Norwich City fan in our entire history - let''s enjoy it, not whine about some mythical ''investor'' who may (or may not) take us to the stars.

You do seem a bit pre menstrual

They ain''t getting any younger and eventually and that will be sooner rather than later someone will need to buy them out

[quote user="Stiflers Mom"]A bit aggressive from you Lapps my plastic friend[/quote]And anyway Waveney, you were well overdue a name change, Canary Dogg was getting a bit boring. I have updated the file........Waveney Canary / Canary from the Waveney Valley / Thorpe End Canary / River End Canary / Marvin Fairlady / Lowestoft Canary / Norwich4life / Herr Flick / Humpty the canary / Wizard of Waveney / Canary fun and games / Haven Canary / Lowestoft Determined Canary / flake district canary / Down in the Chumps / Adnams Out / Cheap Cheap Canaries / What Crisis? / Fluffy Bunny / Mankey Monkey / Tufty Squirrel / Even Keel  / King street canary / Chestnut canary / Ellie Goulding / Jeff butler / john thaw / John tree / Canary buffet / The beautiful south / Festive Canary / Canary Island / River End Canary / Lowestoft Canary / Hopeful Canary / dauphinoise Potatoes / The Phantom / Hector Prune / Harry Kidd / Alexander the Great / Toby Juggs / Norwich Crazy / Canary Fest / Canary Dogg / Stiflers Mom

Someone said its 3 million, with an additional 1 million if we stay up and E Bennett. Not sure if true but pretty sure it will be undisclosed if we do eventually get Brady.