Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Robbie Brady

Unfortunately I think we need to get with the times. The PL is a different place to what it was even 18 months ago. Teams are splashing out more as the new Tv deal kicks in 2016/17 and are desperate to stay up.

I''m not saying we do a QPR and splash out on mercenaries, but a player like Brady, 23 years old with two good PL seasons under his belt is likely to cost between 5&7 million. Keep bidding low for players and we are likely to be outbid...

Baring in mind we are debt free, we should speculate to accumulate (without doing a QPR!)

Absolutely, we have no chance of staying up unless we add a significant amount of quality to our championship squad. If we are not prepared to compete in the transfer market, an alternative would be to put cash aside for a new stand. At least, something positive would then come out of our season.

I agree we should not be afraid of paying the right market price for the right player, including venturing to an 8 figure fee if needed and funds allow.

However that does not mean paying over the odds - which I am confident that we will not do and for the reason of the player being over priced rather than penny pinching on our part.

Brady is OK but I remain to be convinced by the quality of his passing / crossing for both club and country - which seems to be supported by his assists and key pass stats for a wing back / midfielder (not left back). As such £7m seems over stated; and up£5m seems appropriate to me.

IMO, this will depend on whether Brady signs a new contract. If he does, then we move on. The £9m now being talked about in the Hull press is probably based on him signing.

At the moment, our latest bid was £3m and Hull are said to want £7m. I''d expect our next bid to be around £4m and the final price being somewhere around £5m and some add-ons. That''s still a lot for an unproven player with 30 PL games, 2 assists and no goals.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]I agree we should not be afraid of paying the right market price for the right player, including venturing to an 8 figure fee if needed and funds allow.

However that does not mean paying over the odds - which I am confident that we will not do and for the reason of the player being over priced rather than penny pinching on our part.

Brady is OK but I remain to be convinced by the quality of his passing / crossing for both club and country - which seems to be supported by his assists and key pass stats for a wing back / midfielder (not left back). As such £7m seems over stated; and up£5m seems appropriate to me.[/quote]

Have to agree with all this especially "we should not be afraid of paying the right market price for the right player"If he is exactly and precisely the player we need to fill the role or roles in the team that we want him to then we go for him and our valuation will be high.But as you say ZLF, I too see him as a nearly winger and a nearly full back and as such not really fulfilling either role perfectly.Besides, if we play him pushed forward on the left (in the Bradley role) then we need to change our playing style as the long high outball that we use a lot to BJ and formerly to Lafferty would not work with Brady.If Hull do not accept our valuation of the player (what we think he is worth to us) and we walk away, then I for one would not call that penny pinching but instead call it sound business sense.

Pretty much agree ZLF - some do rather seem intent on spending the money, rather than getting ''value for money'' for want of a better term - we shouldn''t (and hopefully won''t) baulk at paying high for the right player but don''t want to be paying over the odds. There has to be some sort of consideration, or you get what is a totally stupid (reported) fee for a guy like Mings.

I''m not sure if Brady will improve the starting 11, but were limited in who we are attractive to without paying over the odds on wages.

I don''t think we will meet the Hull valuation and it will be down to Brady to push it if he wants a move here.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Absolutely, we have no chance of staying up unless we add a significant amount of quality to our championship squad. If we are not prepared to compete in the transfer market, an alternative would be to put cash aside for a new stand. At least, something positive would then come out of our season.[/quote]Highland has written us of before a ball has been kicked (again). [:S]You''d better book the venue for your relegation party now. [:''(]

Pink''un now reporting Hull are holding out for £5 million for him. Twitter account @ubernorwichcity saying we''ll go back in with £4 million up front and £1m added if we avoid relegation.

Sounds like good business if true.

For 5 million would not be a bad signing, at 23 still young.

So if we do sell RVW for 3.8 million this would nearly cover this transfer.

Are we going for this Dutch defender from Celtic? Or was that just press talk?

£5m for a player who can play left back or left wing with plenty of room for potential is not a bad figure at all.

It would certainly add a good level of competition for Bradders and Olsson.

I guess it just depends where we have budgeted our transfer and if the figure is within McNally''s kitty for that type of player.

I''ve got to say for 5m I''d be disappointed if we missed out on him... unless we''ve got someone much better lined up. As someone said above me, I''d imagine this one will be put to bed either way by the end of the week at least

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Absolutely, we have no chance of staying up unless we add a significant amount of quality to our championship squad. If we are not prepared to compete in the transfer market, an alternative would be to put cash aside for a new stand. At least, something positive would then come out of our season.[/quote]Highland has written us of before a ball has been kicked (again). [:S]You''d better book the venue for your relegation party now. [:''(][/quote]

This is not a championship squad, we have a great depth of PL experience, and we need to add to the size of the squad, not rebuild the team ! c''mon Highland don''t need to be so pessimistic before a ball is kicked !

its a promotion winning squad with some premier experience (not the same as prem quality) with strengthening needed in some positions to make us a good prem side with a good squad depth/options

Clear reasons to be optimistic but also cautious while we wait reinforcements..

This is not the key signing, centre half, right back and if Ricky goes then a centre forward is needed.

It is an area we may need cover and if he knows he will be a bit part player fair enough. I do think Olsson will start when fit and Johnson will start on the left to begin with.

But again our bench is going to look strong, I would expect the murphy boys to be on the bench and this puts them down a little further and so no surprises.

With Brady''s fee now set at something more reasonable the suggested 5m and posters on here saying 4m (plus an extra 1m depending on survival) I think that this is better business and i hope we have been looking at Van Dijk but if not how about Curtis Davies, we are normally linked with him but i have''nt noticed anything this time. The only problem is Hull with there stupid valuations of there players, but i did read the other day that they need to sell before bringing in anyone else.

Apparently Steve Bruce has said our offers are ''embarrassing'' and are nowhere near their valuation of him, having rejected bids of £2m, £2.5m and £3m.

As Ricardo said earlier in this thread - a player is only worth the price someone else will pay.If £3m is ''embarrassing'', why are we the only offer on the table at the moment? Looks like we''re the only club interested in him, which put''s us in a great negotiating position.I think McNally and team are currently playing a blinder.

Actually, Bruce does have a point and he makes it quite well.

Our offers have been on the low side so I would hope that they are intended to "soften up" Hull''s resolve.

I think that, if it happens at all, a fee of around £5m will be the likely outcome.

I am beginning to hope it happens. Maybe I, too, have been softened up.

Having read that article, I''d hazard a guess and say that Robbie Brady will be a Norwich City player before the squad fly to Germany/Austria next weekend.

As has already been said, McNally is playing a blinder here - we''re going to get a very good player for around £5m IMO.

Either McNasty is playing a blinder or extremely naive at best if he thinks he''s going to land Brady for £3M.

If Mings who has played just the one full season in the Championship is worth £8M (cough), IMO we won''t get Brady for anything less than £4.5M with add ons.

We''re also debating this at the back end of this thread:

http://www.not606.com/threads/transfer-thread-summer-2015.300700/

Hull are just bitter at being relegated and us taking them to the cleaners last summer. I dont see a queue of clubs wanting to sign him either. He would be a solid player but not a matchwinner like Holt or Snoddy

No player wants to play in the Championship. These bids will turn his eye and he will soon ask for a transfer. I think £3.5 milllion plus £500k add ons will be enough to get him.

Back McNally on this one, slap in some low offers but keep coming back letting the player know we want him.Nobody else in for him at the moment so no need to bid big for a player with one year left on his contract.Meanwhile Hull are trying to get Brady to renew his contract whilst he knows a premier league club want him on higher wages.Don`t forget that Hull slapped a £15 million price tag on Brady and they are already down to £5 million

Dogg, admittedly it looks pretty shoddy at the moment but I''ll reserve judgement until August. I don''t know why we have to wait for rvw to leave before getting a new striker tho. We will miss out on some food players if we dawdle until we get that oaf out of the club.

Norwich probably have to wait as if Norwich don''t sell RvW they will still have to pay his wages. Rather obviously.

Norwich''s wage bill will jump back up to roughly the level they were paying when relegated - there probably isn''t a huge amount of room for manoeuvre after the signings of Dorrans and Mulumbu.

Watford and Bournemouth can splash a lot of cash as their wage budget will still be significantly lower than Norwich''s, who effectively had a lower-table Prem squad in the Championship.

Signings coming into the club will almost certainly have to be offset by players leaving.

I can''t see McNally being too impressed by Bruce''s unprofessional tactics. Look between the lines when Bruce says: "Robbie Brady will not be going for anywhere near that... If it happens, it happens but Norwich are nowhere near the figures we would even think about accepting at the moment."

Bruce is willing enough to talk about Brady ''going'' and ''if it happens, it happens'', and goes on to compare Hull selling Tom Ince, also 23 and a LW, to Derby for £4.75m. Ince, however, has a Transfermarkt ''asset value'' of £4.55m compared with Brady''s current ''asset value'' of £1.4m. Derby paid £200,000 over Ince''s ''asset value''. Our £2m bid was £600,000 over Brady''s ''asset value''. There is nothing embarrassing about that, or £2.5m or £3m and Bruce knows it. It''s just gamesmanship on his part.

The Transfermarkt ''asset value'' is indicative of a starting point in negotiations or what is called the bottom edge of the ''negotiation zone'' between buyer and seller. Derby started at an ''asset value'' of £4.55m and moved up to a final price of £4.75m. It would seem that Hull were keen to sell, even though Ince had two years left on his contract (Brady has only one) and the same degree of potential that Brady has. The contract negotiations with Brady are Hull''s last desperate gamble. If he signs, then fine and we move on. If he doesn''t, they either keep him for a year and then get nothing or sell him now and get £3m or more.

Steve Bruce - you''re an embarrassment for trying to sell us a lemon for £15 million ! Oh it''s down to £5 million now is it ?

Whatever the price it''ll be a pretty lacklustre signing.

Is he better than Snodgrass or Pilkington ? Don''t think so !

Real "Average Joe". We need a better quality of player.

A waste of time & effort.

McNally you have better things to spend your time on - like trying to secure VVD !

Norwich going quietly about their business whilst Bruce sees fit to tell his local rag that we have made three bids and air his dirty linen in public.If Brady becomes unsettled by all this and asks to leave only one person is to blame.