Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Esquire

Afobe / Wickham

I don''t know if these names of popped up before and if they have I apologies. But I think we should be looking at promising England-based strikers not the likes of Larrivey etc.

Benik Afobe was immense for MK Dons and then at Wolves. He seems to perform in which ever league he is played. He is an absolute unit and has a great eye for goal. He was an Arsenal youth player who never got the chance until he moved on. I reckon he''d be worth a 5-6 million bid. Such a promising player.

I also rate Connor Wickham as someone who, under the right management could be an absolute gem of a player. Yes, he''s ex-Ipswich and no doubt most people on here would rule him out based on that alone but for 5 or so million - I reckon he could be an excellent addition to our team.

These players are both young(ish) and home-grown and I believe would increase in value.

I''d love to see us buy Afobe especially - such an exciting talent. You could say unproven at PL level - but I think he''d easily step up.

Afobe would be a great signing, definitely.

If we could get Wickham for cheap I''d be all for it, mainly just to see the meltdown on twtd.

Wickham for me is a bit of a strange one. Has all the attributes to be a quality striker, but since leaving 1p5wich he has flattered to deceive somewhat, apart from the little purple patch he went through when Sunderland had the late surge of form that ultimately contributed to our relegation from the Prem. he doesn''t seem to have delivered on his potential and hadn''t even managed to cement himself as a regular starter for Sunderland.

Clearly there''s some talent in there somewhere, so for me it begs the question as to whether he has the right attitude. If we could get him in for circa £5mil which I doubt very much would happen, and Alex Neil felt he had the right mentality, then I would be happy with it. But I have my doubts over the latter and I don''t see him being the type of personality that Alex Neil seems to like. Obviously I could be well wide of the mark, but it''s just my personal observation and opinion on him.

Afobe I haven''t really seen play much, but sounds highly rated and I would trust the Club''s judgement.