Sign in to follow this  
grefstad

Sterling sold -Liverpool coming for Redmond?

Beggars belief that Sterling is worth £50 million. Not sure i would want him in our team as is. There are far better players out there.Equally if he IS worth £50 million, then Redmond is worth AT LEAST half of that.

Liverpool won''t be in for Redmond - I cannot see him getting into their first team on a regular basis so why would he leave? Not to say the lad couldn''t because he clearly has a lot of promise as shown in the second half of last season.

If they do come knocking and we get £25m for him, then yes it''d be a shame but it would be good business. £25m would buy a lot of quality for the side.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]we know Liverpoo have got 49 million quid... so they can have redders... for 38 million![/quote]

They had to give QPR £9M, that must''ve p1ssed them off a bit.

[quote user="Platonic"]I''d be much more concerned about Redmond in the January window.

At the moment he still represents a massive punt for a premier league team due to age and lack of real top-flight experience, and as others have pointed out he''ll certainly be ''overpriced'' (expensive) due to being homegrown.

With our favorable fixtures in the opening stages of the season, he has the opportunity to turn a few heads and gain some goals/assists. If there''s even a sniff of a bigger club needing a fresh play maker in January, that''s when we really could be tested if someone comes in with a £20m+ offer.

Incidentally, I find this whole ''overpriced'' idea is somewhat annoying. A player is worth what a team will pay. Players do not have an intrinsic value, it is always based on the market that they are in. Homegrown players are more valuable in the market due to the rules, the fact that they know the league, will likely integrate into a UK team more easily, etc etc etc. It is what it is, and is why we should be looking for players outside of the UK market, as it is incredibly rare that you''ll find a UK player that is a bargain.[/quote]

In many ways, Redmond is one of those UK players who would be a bargain. Wiki tells me we paid £2m + £1.5m in add ons in July 2013, so if we were to sell at £10m+, that''s a hell of a return in 2 years. For the record, I''d rather we kept him, or if Liverpool do want him, we should ask for Jordan Ibe as part of the deal.  I''d like to see us put in a cheeky bid for Demarai Gray or Berahino too, both would be great for us.

On the Sterling to Man City thing, it feels morally wrong that City are buying English players just to satify the homegrown rule. They have the luxury of leaving them on the bench with little or no intention of playing them. The players (and their agents) meanwhile will collect their £100k+ a week and the England team continues to suffer.  I don''t have a solution, but insisting on 6 or 7 homegrown players in the starting line ups might be a better solution than just having them in the squad of players.

It would be stupid for Redmond to go to Liverpool as he defiantly won''t play much and so if they won a trophy he wouldn''t get a medal. If he stays with us he also won''t get a medal (as I can''t see us winning any trophies) but I do believe he will play regularly which could earn him an international call up to the England first team, as he''s been doing really well for the U21s

[quote user="Woodman"]

[quote user="Platonic"]I''d be much more concerned about Redmond in the January window.

At the moment he still represents a massive punt for a premier league team due to age and lack of real top-flight experience, and as others have pointed out he''ll certainly be ''overpriced'' (expensive) due to being homegrown.

With our favorable fixtures in the opening stages of the season, he has the opportunity to turn a few heads and gain some goals/assists. If there''s even a sniff of a bigger club needing a fresh play maker in January, that''s when we really could be tested if someone comes in with a £20m+ offer.

Incidentally, I find this whole ''overpriced'' idea is somewhat annoying. A player is worth what a team will pay. Players do not have an intrinsic value, it is always based on the market that they are in. Homegrown players are more valuable in the market due to the rules, the fact that they know the league, will likely integrate into a UK team more easily, etc etc etc. It is what it is, and is why we should be looking for players outside of the UK market, as it is incredibly rare that you''ll find a UK player that is a bargain.[/quote]

In many ways, Redmond is one of those UK players who would be a bargain. Wiki tells me we paid £2m + £1.5m in add ons in July 2013, so if we were to sell at £10m+, that''s a hell of a return in 2 years. For the record, I''d rather we kept him, or if Liverpool do want him, we should ask for Jordan Ibe as part of the deal.  I''d like to see us put in a cheeky bid for Demarai Gray or Berahino too, both would be great for us.

On the Sterling to Man City thing, it feels morally wrong that City are buying English players just to satify the homegrown rule. They have the luxury of leaving them on the bench with little or no intention of playing them. The players (and their agents) meanwhile will collect their £100k+ a week and the England team continues to suffer.  I don''t have a solution, but insisting on 6 or 7 homegrown players in the starting line ups might be a better solution than just having them in the squad of players.

[/quote]

True, but you can''t blame the clubs for the fact that English players are prepared to take silly money and not play football. Some players just don''t seem that fussed (Shaun Wright-Phillips springs to mind). Also, specifying who''s in the line-up should not be taken out of managers hands.

I think some real financial incentives should be made to clubs with a decent youth system that leads to youth players breaking into the 1st team, much in the same way businesses get incentives to have apprentices. Money, sadly, is the only thing that makes the football world go round.