Sign in to follow this  
Davness

Joaquín Larrivey

A lot of sources in Spain, including Mundo Deportivo are reporting that we''re in for Joaquín Larrivey. 30 year old striker from Celta Vigo, some even suggesting he''s traveling here for a medical today.

Bit out of the blue! Can''t claim to be all that familiar with him. Any expert Football Manager verdicts..?

Goals to game ratio of 0.27 with 87 goals in 313 Games aka one goal every 3.6 games I think?

Not really the best stats in the world so I hope this isn''t true.

Fabio Quagliarella stands a bit better at 0.3 goals to games ratio

Played at CR in a friendly recently (2-2 draw) and was a real handful. Would be a decent signing and wages wouldn''t be that high. Whilst we are there they have a solid full back who can play both sides in Johnny Castro.

know nothing of him,   seasons in italy and la liga behind him so has some experience and at 30 should be at his peak.    

Allegegly now having a medical so will see what happens - one we have been tracking or another suggestion from our need head of player recruitment?

He''ll be 31 in August. Not sure he''ll be at his peak, whoever he is.

bless you waveney - you are going down faster than stiflers mum in 2 broke girls.. 

Not really heard of him but he doesn''t sound great. If he''s bought as back up then fair enough but I preferred the mbokani talk. Seems we will play with one, physical complete striker and I''m not sure if joaquin is the man for that role.

Not the quality we were promised , would much rather have signed Gestede but it looks more and more likely that we are going to try doing it on the cheap again .

Rough player with a record for winding up the opposition, getting into brawls on the pitch, etc.Seems rather fearless.

More than decent with his head, as a fair share of his goals comes from headers.

Likely to be competition for Jerome, as we seek to run a campaign with 2 power forwards and 2 smaller ones.

So, one of RvW, Grabban, Hooper has to go, most likely Hooper to be used as bait for the hopeful transfer of Van Dijk.

Also takes penalties.

Got zero resale value, but can surely do a job for us for a few seasons. For a reported 2 mill EUR, might be worth a punt.

The price rumoured makes it a bit more attractive, but still not convinced.

Surely just a replacement for RvW if he leaves, leaving us with Hoops, Grabban and Jerome. As you say grefstad 2 big 2 small.

Would rather we were aiming for a bit more young quality like Jerome though...

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Not the quality we were promised , would much rather have signed Gestede but it looks more and more likely that we are going to try doing it on the cheap again .[/quote]

WE DON''T HAVE VERY RICH OWNERS, why can''t people understand this?

You get 120 Million ish over the course of 4 years if you''re relegated in your first year back, we have not just pocketed 120 Million. Wages will have just gone up 40% across the board, we''ve just spent a year at vastly reduced income and prices are currently over inflated to hell.

(Without risking our existence again) We can''t afford much more than a 25 Million playing budget this year (Inc wages/agent fees) and we still need about 4 or 5 more players. This type of signing is better than Morison for example who we signed in 2011 and look how that turned out. We are going to be shopping for this level of player, it''s not doing it on the cheap, we''re spending everything we can, it''s just compared to every other PL club what we can spend isn''t that much.

Daryl Murphey is quoted at 4 Million ffs, of course we''re going to be looking at left field, unproven targets like this guy, who knows what he can do?

Besides I''d rather have players like Mulumbu and Larrivey managed by Alex Neil than someone more expensive and ''proven'' managed by Tim Sherwood or Steve Mclaren

If this guy is a Grant Holt-style of player as he sounds then it''s fine by me. There''s a lot more to an attacking player than their goal-scoring record, they are not always used as a main ''goalscorer'' (eg both Holt and Jerome pre NCFC, Lafferty last season) so it''s far more down to what they can being to the team. I''m willing to give whoever AN et al decide to sign a decent go - I recall when we signed Holt there were plenty slating it.

Was originally disappointed with this, then I compared his stats to Michu''s, who also played for Celta Vigo, and realised this was much more pleasing. Hopefully this guy can have a similar season to Michu''s first one in the PL. For around £1.5m its certainly worth a punt. Could go very well indeed.

I''m always weary of older foreign players, nothing to prove and just looking for the best pay day to top up pensions!

Don''t know the guy, don''t go on historical goals per game after RVW signing and will just wait to see who signs and how they perform.

Who are you?

Laps posted;

Paddy Davitt ‏@paddyjdavitt

#ncfc interest in #celta striker Joaquin Larrivey gathers pace. Rpts in #argentina now in London 2 finalise move. 2 yrs deal, 1 yr option.

Got to love the fact that our esteemed reporters at Archant seem to get all their text and reports from reading this forum! Can you name the last time they actually came up with a genuine reported interest in a player on their own? No don''t think so! Lazy journalism!

If this is at the price floating around it seems a solid move that may or not come off. He seems to score the vast amount of his goals with his head or from the spot, both very useful assets to have.

Not really sure the issue, it''s hardly anywhere near the risk of RVW, if he scores 3 or 4 goals this season he''s made his money back.

Seems more and more likely one of Hooper or Grabban is outbound though as I doubt this is the only Striker we will buy this season.

Add to that looking at stas he seems to be very strong in the ar and winning headers, looks like a good option as a lone striker as also while a strength there seems to be more to his game than that. Little excited by this if it comes off, he may be the next Michu, if he''s the next RVW at this price, does it really matter?

If he can get us 10 -12 goals a season certainly worth a try, our midfield could benefit from his style from what can gather about him, Hooper is possible departure IMO, hopefully in a "player /cash" deal with Celtic.,

Rather under-whelmed but will wait to see him play. Was expecting us to be in a slightly "higher" market than 30 Yr old journeymen though....

See my earlier post on penny pinching - this does not fill me with confidence at all. Palace - a club much own pedigree- signing real talent today whilst we are linked with nothing very special...come on Norwich get out the check book and let''s show some intent. Doing it on the cheap is not going to cut the mustard

What an unusual signing this will be if it happens and I sense general disappointment all-round us gathered here.

Not well known, not prolific and not young.

The first thought might be that the Club should have learnt their lesson from signing players from the Portuguese League.

The second thought might be that there could be some link with the RVW saga, but there hasn''t been the hint of any sort of swap arrangement.

Somebody has seen something in this player that we could do with, but I doubt if the rest of the Premier League are quaking in their boots.

Interesting but, on the whole, underwhelming.

We''ll see. Might be a masterstroke.

Oops, Celtic Viga are Spanish so that makes all the difference.

Superb signing, despite being not well known, not prolific and not young.