Sign in to follow this  
Eccles from Beccles

Stop worrying

It may be a premiership squad, but a relegated squad. I am aware that tactics and the manager a partly to blame but there were certainly a few times the squad looked a bit out of their depth.

Do i think the current squad can stay up? Of course they can, we do have plenty of quality and experience. What i think is ridiculous is the notion that we will comfortably stay up. It only takes one injury crisis or relegation by 4 or 5 points to make the failure to strengthen key areas look foolish.

[quote user="93vintage"]I didn''t realise this was an episode of Question Time where every point is dissected in minute detail. I''m not going to bother replying to every numbered point to clarify or define what words like

long, big or good are intended to mean, as most folk will probably be smart enough to

comprehend the general ideas.Rather than turn this into an exercise in point scoring you might want to read Bethnal''s reply which covers the gist of what I was trying to say. We''ve both made fair comment and pointed to where the club can improve.[/quote]Now you know. It can be just that. A post like yours, making several claims, some of which are open to debate and/or factually questionable, may well get dissected in detail to see whether it stands up. It has nothing to do with ego-driven point-scoring. It is a sign of the health of this message-board that views do get vigorously challenged.

Isn''t it a bit rich accusing Hughton of short-term thinking? His brief for the first season was to keep us in the PL no matter what. That priority was the board''s, not Hughton''s. Even so, he clearly had the longer term in mind because he set about adapting from Lambert''s "attack is the best form of defence" to a style better suited to longer-term survival in the top division. His not being given the time to complete the job was indeed down to short-term thinking, but not on Hughton''s part.

I would never blame a manager for short-termism, that''s their job - deal with the here and now.

The club should be structured in such a way that the manager is dealing with the current season and preparing the team as best as possible for the next game. The board should be securing the long-term success of the club, through scouting, youth development, philosophy and succession planning.

Clubs that have been very successful over sustained periods of time have either managed to separate these two sides of the club well Chelsea, Barcelona, Bayern, etc or have had one manager in place for a long period of time and he feels very secure, Arsenal and Fergie era Man U. It is impossible to plan to have a manager in place for 20 years, that happens by luck and extremely talented individuals.

@bethnal

Agree entirely on the merits of the continental system -- director of football + coach. Unfortunately very few British managers are prepared to work within it. To quote Nigel Pearson in a different context: "Ostriches"!