Sign in to follow this  
Hog

Islam Slimani 2

Thought I''d try again hopefully without the racist crap!

A player I have long admired, possesses the attributes to make him a success and on paper ticks the right boxes....

But, he''s from Sporting Lisbon, and that alone should make us wary...

His religion is irrelevant imo and if he did join I would be pleased.

Looked strong in the World Cup so the Sporting thing may work to our advantage if we can use the sheep in wolf''s clothing as a makeweight.

Has the first thread been pulled? So some moderation goes on then.

I don''t know what other people wrote, but his religion isn''t entirely irrelevant. When I read his name my first thought was how do footballers manage to play at a high level if they are doing Ramadan?

I have friends who do the fast, and it is not easy, especially as by 3pm all you want to do is lie down and wait for sunset.

So I looked up the dates for Ramadan, and they do not coincide with the football season until 2020.

I can''t see why the Sporting thing makes any difference in terms of whether it''d work out - we''ve bought both good and bad players from various clubs over the years, it''s down to us to try to do our homework and be sure he''d fit and be what we need. Obviously if they still want RVW that might help things along.

Well our scouting system is all but non existent regarding foreign players so i would be very wary you could get a benteke or a RVW. This would only make any sense id RVW goes in part exchange but given he cannot agree terms that would probably even mean us subsidizing his wages . The downside of getting promoted is that RVW will be back up to about £40 000 a week.

Trevor Hockey wrote "I have friends who do the fast, and it is not easy, especially as by 3pm all you want to do is lie down and wait for sunset.

So I looked up the dates for Ramadan, and they do not coincide with the football season until 2020."

A great example of that was Youssef Safri, he was quoted (I recall) as saying he got extremely tired and training was therefor much harder, to be fair he always managed 100% on matchdays.

Muslims can ask their imam for special dispensation to perform their fast outside of Ramadan if it has a negative impact on their career. Many athletes used this when Ramadan and an Olympics clashed one year.

Silmani had a great World Cup in 2014 and would be a very good addition in my opinion. He is strong and mobile, and whilst probably not going to score 15-20 goals himself he brings others into the game. He is the perfect fit for a lone striker role. Whether Sporting will actually let him go is another matter, they are looking at breaking into the top 2 in Portugal - a monumental feat against Porto and Benfica - so losing their best players isn''t in the plan.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Well our scouting system is all but non existent regarding foreign players.[/quote]

I dont think it was that poor to be honest;  we were linked with decent players before but failed to land some,   rvw sticks in the mind but that sort of purchase fails for many reasons,  not just scouting.  we have had many more home based transfer failures including previous record signings. 

Last season was simply not one where we needed overseas players,  we had the budget to secure proven performers in the league and paid approrpiately for them. 

I do wonder if this improves with our latest appointment; if he can bring as wider net with him our non uk understanding may have improved.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Muslims can ask their imam for special dispensation to perform their fast outside of Ramadan if it has a negative impact on their career. Many athletes used this when Ramadan and an Olympics clashed one year.

Silmani had a great World Cup in 2014 and would be a very good addition in my opinion. He is strong and mobile, and whilst probably not going to score 15-20 goals himself he brings others into the game. He is the perfect fit for a lone striker role. Whether Sporting will actually let him go is another matter, they are looking at breaking into the top 2 in Portugal - a monumental feat against Porto and Benfica - so losing their best players isn''t in the plan.[/quote]

Agreed

Think he''s definitely the best name we''ve been linked to so far and for the right money could potentially be a very good signing for us. As others have said, whether Sporting will let him leave is an interesting point. That said, players are so powerful these days the lure of the Prem could be enough. The other issue is, it''s rumored that other prem clubs are interested in him too - if that''s the case we might not be the most popular destination given the whole RvW situation!

Must admit I had to look him up as World Cup has been lost in my memory just about now. This would clearly be a significant signing, if the rumour is reliable, then surely we must have a chance of signing him. Him being a Muslim doesnt come in to it.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Well our scouting system is all but non existent regarding foreign players.[/quote]

I dont think it was that poor to be honest;  we were linked with decent players before but failed to land some,   rvw sticks in the mind but that sort of purchase fails for many reasons,  not just scouting.  we have had many more home based transfer failures including previous record signings. 

Last season was simply not one where we needed overseas players,  we had the budget to secure proven performers in the league and paid approrpiately for them. 

I do wonder if this improves with our latest appointment; if he can bring as wider net with him our non uk understanding may have improved.

[/quote]

The statement about foreign scouting being non existant is also completely incorrect.

Richard Money who manages our opponents tonight was scouting for Norwich before the Cambridge job and did a lot of scouting in Belgium.

[quote user="Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man"]I didn''t see the other thread, but if people are taking digs at Slimani because of his religion, why has nothing been said about Mulumbu being a Muslim?As for Ramadan,  I remember Youssef Safri taking part in it every year when he was here.[/quote]Taking a wild guess, because the people who make those sort of remarks aren''t intelligent enough to make the connection unless someone''s first name matches their religion. Or it''s Osama, Saddam or similar...

Muslims close to the Antarctic Circle are perishing by the thousands in the name of their faith. With Ramada coinciding with the equinox, there are no hours of daylight allowing them to eat.

The religion of the player is irrelevant, as long as he is able to adjust to the rigours of playing the game in England (i.e no special treatments, etc).

People following other football leagues than just the English leagues will know that this is a very good player indeed. He made his name perhaps for the international public during the World Cup 2014, and was certainly not a household name to anyone before that.

Industrious, wholehearted efforts, team player, does not take success for granted, etc.

I am guessing his workman-like ethics would sit well with Alex Neill.

Getting this player would be a major coup, but there are apparantly other Premier sides interested in him as well.

The equinox occurs in March and September, I think you were meaning the solstice. Also, close to the Antarctic Circle would be in the Southern Ocean or on Antractica itself. Also, Ramada is a chain of hotels and not a religious observance.

A pathetic attempt at humour and factually incorrect...well done you!

Apples

Solstice, yes. Obviously Ramadan got auto corrected Apple.

Nobody is doing research in Antarctica? Not many daylight hours in southernChile this month, and when Ramadan happens in mid December it will impact more people with limited or no daylight.

Way to miss the point.

Muslims working in polar regions can observe ramadan according to the nearest city which has sunrise and sunset (or use the time in Mecca).

Apples

I think the main point that is being missed by the Gofer is that its during the hours of DARKNESS that Muslims can eat during Ramadan. Having been in The Gambia and Morrocco during the holy month i can say with certainty that not all Muslims observe it to the Letter of the Koran, much as not all Christians observe Lent.

Of which there are many ,Webbo. Some good , some bad, mostly a bit of both.

This thread is a bit more interesting than shirt sizes...try that for a parallel universe.

to be fair most people branded as Christians by statistics

are people like me who are not Christian in any ways shape or form

Corrected again. You are right, wcork. But the point still stands, just gotta be 6 months off or at the opposite end of the planet.

Not everyone who practices a faith does so wholeheartedly. With Christianity, for example, the idea that you truly accept God trumps whatever weaknesses or faults you may have. For those planning to accept God at the last minute, please remember God is not an idiot. :p

Plenty more people attend church with great regularity but are as unChristian as can be the other 167 hours of the week, but don''t you challenge them on their commitment to God!

True Gaynor, just for the record, I''m a committed , tolerant, Humanist.

Back to footy, Slimani is the kind of player I would like to see us sign.

I don''t know, I mean what if he celebrates his first goal for us by jumping into the Barclay End and blowing himself up?  We''d get no return on investment and lots of innocent people would die.
Too risky for me, I''m out.