Sign in to follow this  
Lewis Esquire

Rookie Transfer Policy

What is going on at Carrow Road this summer with our transfer dealings?

We somehow managed to get Mulumbu signed on the dotted line, but every other link seems to be laughable. We''re getting linked with players that are no better than the ones we we''re looking at when in the Championship.

This whole charade regarding this striker from Spain and the comedic negotiations with Hull City are making Norwich City look like absolute rookies in the transfer window.

Whilst everyone else is looking to add quality to there squads for next season we are purely adding numbers. If you think that Mulumbu is our major coup this Summer then I fear you are in to a big downfall when you see him on the pitch. He is an adequate premier league player.

The way our Summer dealings have gone so far I can''t see our team setting up any differently from how Hughton tried it last time round in the Premier League. Sit back and hope to counter attack.

Come on City! Show some intent!

Austin from QPR

Gray from Birmingham, Yedlin from Spurs

and Van Dijk from Celtic. For about £30 million would make me a lot more optimistic. I genuinely think these are realistic targets, that is if we want to stay in the PL.

Well at the moment we are not signing players that are no better than we already have. simply, we are not signing anyone.

The two players we have signed from West Brom has been good business.

I can understand why people are getting concerned about our lack of activity, but im convinced things will step up before the window shuts.

In regards to setting up the same a Hughton, no way. Neil is a much stronger character, we will go for it even if we do play five in midfield. which we should and will.

no way is Austin coming. the others would be good and more realistic

I''m not sure what all the panic is for from some people.

AN clearly needed to look at what he currently has in the squad and would need a bit of pre-season to do this. The squad he has doesn''t need wholesale changes unlike Bournemouth and Watford so it''s no surprise they are grabbing what they can get as fast as they can, in my view we just need to tweak certain positions.

There will be plenty of discussions going on behind the scenes, Mulumbu was an easy signing as he was clubless so therefore we only needed to negotiate with him and his agent.

If you look at the transfers that have gone through so far, how many that have moved would we have wanted, yeah of course some of those that have gone to more established clubs would be great, but let''s be realistic here, even if we believe we are a better option that someone like Palace, Cabaye would have never chosen us and take the gamble on a newly promoted side.

As for rumours, they are just that and I''m amazed how many ''rumours'' actually start based on insider knowledge on forums from people that are speculating.

[quote user="Lewis Esquire"]What is going on at Carrow Road this summer with our transfer dealings?

We somehow managed to get Mulumbu signed on the dotted line, but every other link seems to be laughable. We''re getting linked with players that are no better than the ones we we''re looking at when in the Championship.

This whole charade regarding this striker from Spain and the comedic negotiations with Hull City are making Norwich City look like absolute rookies in the transfer window.

Whilst everyone else is looking to add quality to there squads for next season we are purely adding numbers. If you think that Mulumbu is our major coup this Summer then I fear you are in to a big downfall when you see him on the pitch. He is an adequate premier league player.

The way our Summer dealings have gone so far I can''t see our team setting up any differently from how Hughton tried it last time round in the Premier League. Sit back and hope to counter attack.

Come on City! Show some intent!

Austin from QPR

Gray from Birmingham, Yedlin from Spurs

and Van Dijk from Celtic. For about £30 million would make me a lot more optimistic. I genuinely think these are realistic targets, that is if we want to stay in the PL.[/quote]
Adequate for the Premier League is fine by me. I would be more concerned if he were inadequate.
Also, does it really matter who we are getting "linked" with (who does all this ''linking'', by-the-way?). Surely all that matters is who we actually sign. No? What is important to you is purely the names that are ''linked'' to us throughout the summer?
And what do you mean by "we somehow managed to get Mulumbu signed on the dotted line"? What a bizarre statement!
Oh, wait; there''s another one... "we are purely adding numbers". Chuckle. We''ve added two so far; both of them proven Premier League players with several years'' experience of keeping ''there'' (sic) team up there.
And, finally, what you write at the end there; do they become unrealistic targets if we don''t want to stay in the PL then?
PMSL.

I wouldn''t say that was a ''bizarre statement'' as we don''t seem capable of putting in a valid bid for one player how do we have the competence to actually get a player through talks and in to signing.

I''m not panicking about lack of signings. It''s the way Norwich are being perceived in the press and footballing world that is getting me annoyed. We used to be reasonably descreet with our dealings and now every failure or ''cock-up'' seems to be getting reported in the press.

We seem to be lacking any professionalism!

WARNING

BEWARE OF CHIP20 - They''ll pull your posts apart more than your average grammer teacher.

What ever happened to freedom of opinion? Apparently mine are wrong!

This forum really is full of a bunch of wasters.

I get where you''re coming from but we''ve had 2 examples of the recently and neither of which came from us.

Steve Bruce is making noise as he wants more money, and the agent made the fuss about the guy from Celta Vigo (Lav something or other)

Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about either of those, seems we have gone about our business quietly and been dragged in to all of this negativity by others.

Who is this Rookie Transfer? I''ve Googled him to no avail, and there''s no highlights of his goals on Youtube.

I do hope that the club aren''t breaking their promise to buy British - Rookie doesn''t sound like a very English name - still I suppose it could be American, like the name Randy...(insert Lafferty joke here).

It''s a shame there isn''t a ''like'' button on here Trevor Hockey''s Beard...

Finally a bit of light-hearted non-serious humour.

I''ve been in more relaxed board rooms then this forum.

[quote user="Lewis Esquire"]WARNING

BEWARE OF CHIP20 - They''ll pull your posts apart more than your average grammer teacher.

This forum really is full of a bunch of wasters.[/quote]
Could you possibly point out, for the benefit of dunderheads like myself, specifically where I have curtailed you freedom of opinion? All I have done, as far as I can see, is pointed out where mine differs from yours:
  • You clearly feel that ''adequate'' for the Premier League is not sufficient; I happen to feel that it is (for the time being, at least; perhaps we can aspire to players who are too good for the Premier League once our feet are more comfortably under the table).
  • You indicate that the number and calibre of players we are being linked to in the press is of huge significance to you; I responded with my opinion that who we actually sign is more important.
  • You express surprise that we signed a player; my opinion is that this statement is odd because that kind-of happens for most clubs over the course of a transfer window. I can''t recall many windows where we didn''t sign somebody.
  • I''m not sure what your specific point was about "purely adding numbers". We have added just two so far (one, if you consider we already had one of them for the tail end of last season) and both of them seem like proven Premier League quality to me.
  • Yeah; I''ll give you my last sentence. It was fairly flippant and I didn''t really have a constructive point to make with that one. I''m sorry. The PMSL was a bit of an exaggeration too. I did laugh out loud, but my pants are, in fact, still dry.
I''ve not written anywhere that your opinions are wrong; I''ve just pointed out where mine differ. The great thing about opinions is that they are always right, because they are personal to the individual who holds them. But, people are also free to challenge them. Why did you put yours on a discussion forum if you don''t want anybody to express disagreement? Did you seriously expect every single respondent to concur with you?
You put a short text up on a discussion board to be...discussed. I responded with my thoughts. Again, would you care to highlight specifically where I have forbidden you from having an opinion?
Yours in peace,
Chip20.

Yeah Lewis, Chip has actually answered your comments with some good arguments about why he disagrees with you. The fact that you have responded to him in the way you have just speaks volumes about the real purpose behind your OP.

[quote user="Lewis Esquire"]WARNING

This forum really is full of a bunch of wasters.[/quote]

You probably meant to say either ''this forum is full of wasters'' or ''the members of this forum are a bunch of wasters''

Lewis something typed:-

"They''ll pull your posts apart more than your average grammer teacher."

"Grammer?" "Grammer?" Say no more.

Schoolboy error that. Say no more.

How much longer will this semi-educated, bumptious twit bore us with his nonsense on this discussion board before he either disappears completely or metamorphosises into similar, under a different, but just as stupid, pseudonym?

[quote user="Donkey dangler"]This summer reminds me of the farce regarding Crewe and Hulse during the Doncaster period.[/quote]
In what way(s) please? It rings faint bells but I must admit I''ve forgotten the finer points. I think I''m getting it confused with the one regarding Durham and Chester during the Telford era. Had we failed to sign more than twenty four new highly capped internationals by mid-July that year too?

Rich T''s assertion that Bournemouth and Watford went in to the summer with weaker squads than ours and have been signing players in an attempt to catch us up is, frankly, laughable. Can I remind him - and anyone else labouring under this misapprehension - that both clubs finished above us in the table, scored more and conceded less than us. Does the word ''complacent'' mean anything to you, Mr T?

[quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Donkey dangler"]This summer reminds me of the farce regarding Crewe and Hulse during the Doncaster period.[/quote]
In what way(s) please? It rings faint bells but I must admit I''ve forgotten the finer points. I think I''m getting it confused with the one regarding Durham and Chester during the Telford era. Had we failed to sign more than twenty four new highly capped internationals by mid-July that year too?
[/quote]

So you take the pi$$ while admitting you have no idea about the farce that occurred regarding Hulse and Crewe.....may I suggest you research the comments made by Crewe and think about the comments made by Hull otherwise you will look like an utter ****!

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Can I remind him - and anyone else labouring under this misapprehension - that both clubs finished above us in the table, scored more and conceded less than us.[/quote]Can I also remind you that for a large section of the first part of the season, we suffered at the hands of Adams management, and had we instead have had AN in place during that time, we''d likely have finished top, scored more and conceded less than both other clubs...

We have hardly been linked with a better player than we already have , we seem to have spent the whole summer trying to sign Mr bang average from Hull and making a complete mess of it . Go into next season with Whittaker and Martin as first team starters and hoping the likes of Jerome and Grabban will score enough to keep us up and i think we will be returning to the league below much quicker than last time .

[quote user="Donkey dangler"][quote user="Chip20"][quote user="Donkey dangler"]This summer reminds me of the farce regarding Crewe and Hulse during the Doncaster period.[/quote]
[/quote]

So you take the pi$$ while admitting you have no idea about the farce that occurred regarding Hulse and Crewe.....may I suggest you research the comments made by Crewe and think about the comments made by Hull otherwise you will look like an utter ****![/quote]
I would far rather you just answer the question I asked. It would save me a lot of time.

regardless of the OP''s trolling efforts the reason the club is lacking in transfer activity is because we were hindered by having to go through the play offsthe automatic promotion places give teams the extra time to prepare, hence why city are still trying to secure a measly 6 million deal for a left wingerbut it does make you wonder when a championship club have just dumped 5 million on stewart downing, i do fear the prudence thing yet again, as ive said before, top flight football is big business, if youre not willing to spend youre probably going straight down again.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]We have hardly been linked with a better player than we already have , we seem to have spent the whole summer trying to sign Mr bang average from Hull and making a complete mess of it . Go into next season with Whittaker and Martin as first team starters and hoping the likes of Jerome and Grabban will score enough to keep us up and i think we will be returning to the league below much quicker than last time .[/quote]
Did we not survive quite comfortably in the Premier League in 2012-13 with Whittaker and Martin as first team starters while relying on "the likes of" Jerome and Grabban to score enough to keep us up? Do you think any of our current squad are of sufficient quality to keep us up? If not, do you really expect the Club to replace every single one with international-quality alternatives?
We managed to stay up for two seasons the last time we were promoted. Who had we signed by this stage back then that was a sufficient upgrade on what we already had for your liking? We were hardly brimming over with exciting and proven Premier League performers by mid-July back then, IIRC.

Watford supporters might similarly point to the fact that they had four managers last season and had they appointed the last bloke sooner they''d have p****d the league. I pray that the tunnel visioned views of some posters to this site are not reflective of all NCFC supporters. The closer we get to the new season without an influx of quality players the more convinced I am that this is going to be one of the toughest campaigns ever. I shudder to think what Palace''s Zaha and Bolassi will do to good ol'' boy Russell Martin and co on the first day of the season. Mark my words, it''ll be a wake up call for a lot of you

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Watford supporters might similarly point to the fact that they had four managers last season and had they appointed the last bloke sooner they''d have p****d the league. I pray that the tunnel visioned views of some posters to this site are not reflective of all NCFC supporters. The closer we get to the new season without an influx of quality players the more convinced I am that this is going to be one of the toughest campaigns ever. I shudder to think what Palace''s Zaha and Bolassi will do to good ol'' boy Russell Martin and co on the first day of the season. Mark my words, it''ll be a wake up call for a lot of you[/quote]I know this is going to be a tough season, I think the vast majority of people sussed this out as soon as we were promoted.No tunnel vision just reality. Yes we could do with a couple of high quality signings but it doesn''t happen overnight. No need to panic.

If we don''t get going soon then we''ll probably be looking at raiding the Championship bargain bin for a target man. Could be someone like Matt Smith at Fulham.

Depends on which Watford manager you mean Thetford.

If you mean Jokanovic, who was their manager for 35 league games and got 68 points, then based on that average they would have got 89 points in the whole season. AN got 46 points from 22 games so on that average we would have got 97 points in the whole season. So no, Watford wouldn''t have P*ssed the league.

Of course, if you''re talking about their current manager, he hasn''t managed Watford in a competitive game so there''s no telling what he might have done in the Championship.