Sign in to follow this  
Steve H

Opinions on Francis transfer?

My own thoughts are that, while it is a shame to see such an obviously talented player move on, the following things have to be considered.

If the fee is in the 2 million bracket, we can get at least 2 quality signings in to fill the void, and give us more strength in depth. 

We also won''t have his agent stirring things up during the autumn & winter for when the window re-opens. Lets face it is his agent who has been constantly stirring the situation up and will continue to do so.

Also despite his goals after his return (Vs Pompey, WBA & M''boro) he was nowhere as interested as he was once Charlton declared there interest. As far as I am concerned his ego is way to big.

And if he couldn''t get up for the Fulham match which had 20 million plus riding on it he''s not really gonna be up for the likes of Crewe away etc.

Good Riddance

I''ll wait to see what fee or fee and player(s) we get for him...

OTBC

My opinion is good riddance, sod off.  I would like to say I wish him well but I would be lying.  He is gutless, he didn''t even have the nerve to tell Worthy he wanted to leave.  He has shown no passion or commitment to the club that gave him the chance to play in the PL in the first place.

My other opinion is that in a years time he will line up against NCFC in a reserve game for Pompey!

Bye Damo, I hope you enjoy the smell of the landfill as you enter Pompey.  The stink matches your attitude! 

I agree, we should get a decent price for Damo, but I cant stop thinking that this deal will be a player plus cash deal with Linvoy Primus coming in the opposite direction. After all Worthy has been a fan of his for some time.

I think we do need to bolster our defence.

Damo was shocking against Fulham and his agent is a pain in the ass, so if the price is right and Worthy uses any transfer money wisely, I dont see us missing Damo too much and from what I hear Jarrett is an ideal replacement.

So according to the story on the home page Pompey are saying they haven''t made an improved offer. Seeing as our official site talks about a ''further expression of interest'' rather than a further offer then it seems maybe Pompey are telling the truth on this.

To be honest I really don''t like this situation and it seems to me as if there may be a rather nasty alliance between Francis'' agent (who like all agents is trying to set up a deal so that he get his cut) and Pompey who are trying to get Francis on the cheap.

As Zipper rightly points out Francis is on a long term contract and therefore we should not be held to ransom over this. Either Pompey pay a fair price - which in my opinion is a minimum of £2 million - or they don''t get him. I would also like to see a sell on clause as part of any deal because as we all saw in the first half of last season Francis has got the potential to be a real Premiership star.

I have just read that Pompey have denied that they have made an offer for Damo, but if thats true why is he out of the squad for tonights game?

Before we all jump in and wish good riddance to one of our players, we should remember that he hasent yet signed for anyone!

The bottom line is that no matter how talented a player, if he wants away you have to let him go.

I would rather have Charlton in midfield who WANTS to play for Norwich.

How about Primus plus 1 million?

i think he is no longer of any use. We should sell him and i dont think he is worthy more than 1mil but hopefully clubs wont see that. Kristiansen, commons/etuhu and sodje/Morgan would be a lot better

If we get anything around £1.5M plus Primus it will be a good deal - although Linvoy is not particularly fast, he is very experienced and consistently performs at around 7-8/10. We will get no more for Francis IMO ''cos there is no-one else who wants him (so no bidding war), and there are question marks about his committment - not exactly great selling points.

With Worthy''s skill at getting bargains I would expect at least two quality signings plus the aforementioned Primus (and Dean Marney as well).

Shopping list: Primus, Marney, Commons, Chorley, Etuhu

It is a right mess.......................

Francis'' agent wants him to go as he profits from any transfer.

Francis wants to go because he a) has fell out with Worthy and b) wants to play in the Prem

We want him to go because he simply is not committed to the club

Pompey would like him at their club

So, should all be simple, but of course hinges on the money.  We want as much as possible for him but Pompey (who are also running a business remember) think that because of all four points above they should be able to pick him up cheaply. The fact is, it seems that nobody else has come in for him so Pompey see it as a good chance of picking him up cheap. From their point of view (and remember they will have spoken directly to his agent as well as Damo himself probably) how do we benefit by keeping a player who simply does not want to play for us, they will be thinking that we take their offer or we end up with a potential £1.5m player sitting in the reserves.

I genuinely think that as time has passed Damo has had his bluff called by the club, he thought he would be snapped up earlier (by Charlton perhaps if they had managed to sell Euell), NW''s statement about expecting him to be here for the Coventry game has thrown him and now his agent is having to take the lead and go to clubs and tell them he wants to leave us - he simply does not want to be here at the start of the season.

Get rid of him I say and hope we draw Pompey at home in the cup next year so we can give him some serious stick !!!

Mark .Y.

[quote]It is a right mess....................... Francis'' agent wants him to go as he profits from any transfer. Francis wants to go because he a) has fell out with Worthy and b) wants to play in the Prem ...[/quote]

Top notch summary Mark Y

Fact is, Francis was useful to us while he gave his all for us. When he did, there can be little doubt he''s been a tremendous asset to us.

Now, though, frankly he couldn''t care less about the club that forged his reputation. He''s a Premiership player by reputation because of us, and while he is here he should give 100% out of pure gratitude for that. If he wants a move, fine, but at continue to work your best for the people that employ you now.

[quote]It is a right mess....................... Francis'' agent wants him to go as he profits from any transfer. Francis wants to go because he a) has fell out with Worthy and b) wants to play in the Prem ...[/quote]

For all of the above reasons I think that we should dig our heels in and tell Francis that if he is so desperate to go to Pompey he (and his agent) can get them to stump up £2m or we will play him in the reserves all season.

This "transfer" stinks - Francis is contractually committed to Norwich and I believe is technically in breach of that contract by instructing his agent to talk to other clubs. Isn''t this precisely the same thing as Chelsea have been fined for doing the flip side of?

This latest rumour that he is "on strike" simply adds grist to the mill. if it is the case dump him in the reserves and report both him and his agent to the FA for technical breach of contract I say.

Good riddance to a highly over-rated, lazy, arogant and uncommited average player. I think he''ll flop at Pompey this season just like Kenton did at Southampton. £2m for a player who can''t pass and goes missing for vast periods of the match is a superb price and let''s hope Popmey don''t realise this before he signs his contract.

Our most unpopular former midfielder since Tim Sherwood?

[quote]Get shot of the little swine and invest in more committed players.[/quote]

That speaks volumes for me Yella Fella. He has to go, we don''t want him, he doesn''t want us.

Whilst he''s here, its affecting club morale.

Ged rid and quickly. Damo if you''re reading this:

S*D OFF!.

[quote]Well Primus definitely won''t be part of the deal. Injured for the next 3/4 weeks.... http://boards.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=922&p=16&style=1&forumId=3253&action=1&replytoid=21...[/quote]

I dont want Primus as part of the deal - his days as a 7 out of 10 performer week in week out are long gone and he was poor for pompey last year according to the couple of pompey fans I know.

He certainly is no better than shacks or charlie and so why invest in an older player?

Damo is worth £2m of anyones money and light weight make weights wont make the difference we need in midfield - 10 goals for the season are needed in the replacement and we need the funds to buy this now - not after appearances installments etc etc.  Failure to get promotion this season will mean a much larger rebuilding next year so we need the players and therefore cash now.

OTBC

I totally agree, we definatly need the cash for Francis now (I am convinced he will go), but with the season fast approaching who the hell do we bring in to replace him. I cant see anyone else at the club scoring 10+ goals next season from midfield.

Also the defence needs strengthening, maybe not with Primus, but with somebody! Look how many goals weve conceeded already in pre season.