Sign in to follow this  
Rich T The Biscuit

Russell Martin - Top Bloke

I think it''s fair to say that from reading my posts that I''m not sorry wasn''t the biggest Russell Martin fan.

Tonight I had the pleasure of listening to him talk to a group of school children at a school sports awards night and what an all round top bloke he is.

It''s was really interesting to listen to his life story, the fact he gave up his dream to get a job to fund his family and how hard he has worked over the years and the decisions he has made.

I''m sure it was inspirational to all the children that listened and he had the room hooked on every word he said, for someone who does make a career out of public speaking he was superb as a speaker.

Great work Russell and thanks for giving up your time. Was really appreciated by all that attended.

And yes, I am now a fan (although I still think he gives the ball away to much)....ha ha

Nice to see a Good Guy appreciated. Always a credit to the club and seems respected by the other players.

For me not in doubt and I have said many a time that I''m sure he''s a great guy, model pro etc.

Was just nice to actually spend time in his company listening to him and realising what a great guy he is.

All of my negativity was about his football, not his character.

I met him in Windsor Bishop (he is an ambassador for them) and he is a genuinely nice guy, then saw him a month later at Carrow Road and he recognised and spoke to us again. Have to say top guy, and loves our club they way you would want every player to, in a perfect world.

Nice post

Rich T did he say anything about his fathers illness that he mentioned in the last 360 vid? There were some posters on here or maybe it was the NCFC subreddit wondering what his father had and wishing him well.

That wasn''t the point of my post Donkey, we all have opinions on who is and isn''t but point of my post was the put a nice positive message about one of the players.

Jarders - they had a bucket collecting money for a charity that deals with Crohns/Collitis, although can''t remember the name of it, guessing that would be the one.

He''s one of the most genuine and friendly footballers I''ve ever chatted to, along with Elliott Bennett.

It''s a shame about some of the over-the-top criticism levelled at him by some. As for the captaincy/leader issue, I wouldn''t want anyone else as Norwich City captain. Top bloke.

A couple of my friends are Peterboro fans and I remember them telling me that he wasn''t great when they were in the Championship and that he had found his level in League One. I played football with both of these guys and knew that they know what they are talking about. It just goes to show what a manager can do for a player.

This lad was struggling under Ferguson, but really found his feet under Lambert and has never let us down since. I

It is always to hear stories about how nice some footballers are, especially when you hear how awful people like Gary Lineker are!

Also not known is that when Norwich released quite a number of youth players following relegation (Including those from the FA cup winning squad), Russ got in his car, drove to their house and visited them in person, explaining his journey, not to give up, and giving them contacts for people that can help them get into other clubs.

I know the father of one of those players and he said it went a long way in installing confidence back into his lad who was shot after being released, and it wasn''t just with what he said to him, but the fact that he took the time out and drove to his house out of the blue.

I must admit, i''ve been in awe of him since, and it really brought a tear to my eye when i see him lift the cup at wembley. But, it also makes you wonder what other deeds our players do that we never hear about. They all seem decent people in fact.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]As for the captaincy/leader issue, I wouldn''t want anyone else as Norwich City captain. Top bloke.[/quote]
absolutely 100%!
am I right in thinking that 3 promotions makes him our most successful captain ever?
always seemd like "one of the fans" rather than a player, by that i mean someone who isn''t detached to the realities of the world.. kind of bloke you could sit an have a pint with.

Slightly o/t, but perhaps this is a good opportunity to put in a good word for Peter Mendham. He spent ages talking to my dad in the supermarket car park not so long ago, and was really nice and down to earth by all accounts.It''s sad and such a shame that many don''t want to give him a job after having that to-do with his missus a few years back. The lad was having a tough time and unfortunately lost his temper. I don''t think he was in his right mind.If all concerned have forgiven and moved on, then so should others.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]He''s one of the most genuine and friendly footballers I''ve ever chatted to, along with Elliott Bennett.

It''s a shame about some of the over-the-top criticism levelled at him by some. As for the captaincy/leader issue, I wouldn''t want anyone else as Norwich City captain. Top bloke.[/quote]

I''m sure Russell Martin is a good person off the pitch but it doesnt get over the defensive weaknesses that were clearly visible last season. Lucky for us that Bamford wasnt fully fit for the playoff final.

In the Premiership its going to be harder.

I''m not sure we all see RM''s style of play as full of defensive weaknesses that were clearly visible, but fully accept that they were clearly visible to you (and some others), some of us see other attributes that are were also clearly visible (well they were to us) but all this is opinion on all our parts.

However, it may be RM is more suited to Prem football than Champs, as in general the oppo play a different style of football which is more suited to his natural game??

Mr Nice he maybe but so so obviously out of his depth even at champ level. Awkward with captaincy, captain needs to play.

That''s a rather OTT statement.Quite frankly that''s a load of ballbags, ball bag. ''Obviously out of his depth''??

Yep. I''ve met him once before out in Norwich. He was with his Mrs but my young nephew really wanted a picture and autograph and he had no problem spending 5 mins or so having a chat with us. He''s a thoroughly top guy and after spending a little bit of time face to face with him I totally get why he''s the club captain and had a position made up for him in our last Prem year for when he might not be playing as much as he just bleeds charisma and positive energy.

Love the guy and I actually think he''s easily a PL standard CB...But yeah, he does get caught out by hoofball sides occasionally, which we won''t be facing much next year anyway