Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Raccoon

I blame Snodgrass!

RvW is a type of player maybe not entirely into the AN mould of how he wants strikers to be.

But if used correctly, and with service to back him up, he could be a very valuable member of the squad. I see him in the same position as Hooper squad wise. He can score, but needs service.

Also, he seems to a a player that needs an arm around his shoulders. Others may respond to hairdrier treatments, Ricky does not seem to be that kind of player. Obviously, supporters like us donĀ“t know, but it sure looks like he is a more "delicate" type, that can thrive under the right manager giving him belief and support.

Under Hughton, we set up defensively, with inverted wingers making few chances for the striker. Jerome would not have played much better in such an environment either.

With AN, we have an outlook to more positive football, with old-fashinged wing play, and more adventurous gameplan going forward. This should be very promising for the likes of RvW.

[quote user="alartz"]Listen right. RvW is the WORST striker we''ve had and we were ripped off. Period[/quote]

I really do hope that Ricky gets a second bite of the cherry with us like Seb and Wes did, he seems a really genuine nice bloke so fingers crossed tightly. [:|]

After Holt left, who was the main character, captain and all round player that inspired everyone - there would have been a readjustment in amongst the players, with one or two of the players seeing themselves as the main man to take Holt''s mantle.  It appeared to me that Snodgrass tried to be that man. His heart and effort can''t be denied - and his ability to score goals - but what was wrong was his decision making, which often went against what team mates were doing - either by taking on too much himself, or in the case of the penalty, blatantly undermining a fellow player.  He was a good player, but without strict management and in the absence of a larger character/ego on the pitch - he was allowed to dominate things too much - and despite having ability as a player, he wasn''t up to being the main man, because for a large proportion of the time, his dominance was wasted.

[quote user="grefstad"]Agreed, LDC.

And it all comes from weak management on the bench. Hughton again to blame.[/quote]

I''ll agree about Hughton too, because despite my support for him, I always said that he relied on his players to be strong for him - as they were at Newcastle for him - and in our case the players/squad weren''t good enough to do that on their own (as shown with Adams, too incidentally). It wasn''t till they got another strong manager in  AN,  that they got sorted out.

Yes I agree - excellent post Clint.

I didn''t agree with RVW taking the place of Holt in the first place and I''m not sure if the incident hadn''t happened, he''d have gone on to score a large number of goals. But I think what Snodgrass did was a factor that affected his confidence.

I''m not sure where Ray gets his information - that there was no designated penalty taker - sounds pretty far-fetched or totally unprofessional for a club playing in the premiership. Snodgrass was definitely insubordinate. I knew that penalty miss would cost us. No one is bigger than the club. We''re talking about gross misconduct. He should have been kicked out of the club !

It''s a coincidence that RVW had 22 touches in the opening game against Everton where he also scored a goal. A game that Snodgrass was injured and not playing !

I''m not saying Snodgrass didn''t put in an effort for the team or that RVW is better player than Snodgrass. What I''m saying is in a season where many things went wrong, his selfish act contributed to the ineptness of our marquee player and also to our relegation.

Yes should take the blame !

[quote user="Alex "]Between reading this and the Cambridge thread, I do believe that there''s actually posters that sound positively worried that RvW might possibly come good under Alex Neil. I find that plain weird and very odd.[/quote]

Likewise, whilst he''s still our player I will always support him and hope he turns golden this year. A season in France might have helped him build up strength etc. required at this level

Hi Six Pack,

I agree, totally unprofessional, as were other things CH did or did not do unfortunately. On the basis ''you couldn''t make it up'' rest assured I didn''t.

I blame whoever scouted RVW. It doesn''t matter how we set up or who manages us he hasn''t got enough to his all ''round game to succeed in the PL and we can''t afford to carry him in a 442 and allow ourselves to be dominated in midfield every game for the sake of a decent-ish finisher

I rate our current management team as high as anyone and if they choose to stick with him I won''t question them, but they''re not miracle workers and they surely can''t completely revamp a 26 year old''s game in a few weeks right?

Even at the top of his game I don''t think he''s worth 40k a week and a compromised tactical set-up. I would fu(king LOVE to be proven wrong, but i just can''t see it

Hi Six Pack,

Thanks and the fact the players didn''t know who the designated pen taker was bewildered me!

Pretty damn sure it won''t happen under AN though.

I cant believe the level of blindness to fact that ricky was useless. Snoddy tried and scored goals that season, now hes gone people seem to discredit that for the sake of supporting ricky just because hes still our player.

Ricky is only still here because we couldn''t get rid of him. And its likely he will be gone before the season starts. If not he''ll be fourth choice at best as things stand.

Everyone wants the fairytale ending but are you serous, what did you see in him? The much talked about movement he made became a joke, it became something people said out of habit, a myth. The guy was lost.

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]I wonder who this season''s relegation scapegoat will be? My money''s on either Russell Martin or Mulumbu. Or maybe Delia[/quote]

Have already decided it is Steven Whitaker

My money''s on McCarthy being the relegation scapegoat next year despite doing everything in his power to keep an already cheap, ragtag team being torn apart by their asset stripping owner in a difficult league.

...Oh you meant us? Relegated under Alex Neil? Really?

....Okay xD If you say so!

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]I wonder who this season''s relegation scapegoat will be? My money''s on either Russell Martin or Mulumbu. Or maybe Delia[/quote]That''s what I like, a nice positive attitude.

Oh dear. Not the "real men burp, scratch and curse" argument. Perhaps he has a little class about him as a person. [quote user="alartz"]Bulls**t!!!

A real striker would have told snodgrass where to go as the official pen taker that RvW apparently was.

RvW is useless and a limp wrist. Sooner he goes the better. Bad apple in the bunch[/quote]