Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Harry Toffolo

Looked good last night as well as getting a goal; Makes me think we may not need to sign a left-back - with the amount of money we invest in the academy setup, maybe it''s time to let one of the brightest prospects come through?

I don''t think we will sign an out and out left back, just the versatile Brady. I assume that is what Neil meant during his interview the other day.

Toffolo was the player from the youth cup side that I rated above the Murphy boys and Morris.

Needs a year on loan playing each week in the championship.

League 2 opposition is much different to premiership opposition.

Ë„Ë„

Think we should give him a go as some players can just make that step up from youth team to Premier League, although I guess it would be from League 1 to Premier League in this case.

Of course if he proves he can''t be a Premier League squad player then a Championship loan would be for the best.

Worth contemplating that Pilkington made that same step up from League 1 to premier league and it didn''t seem tk stop him. I actually think the ideal age is around 19-20. It means they still have the youth and ability to adapt quicker. Still game time is important and at a high a level as possible.

Hard to judge based solely on friendlies, but Toffolo has been close to a revelation in my eyes.

I knew he was a talent, and had energy, decent pace, etc, but in the Prem it will also be a lot down to positioning, tactical awareness, etc, which separates the "raw" from the more cultured.

But as a backup member in the squad, I think he is more than capable. However, it will be better for his development to play weekly, maybe in a Championship club, perhaps mid or lower Championship.

If Brady comes, he will be no 3 in the queue, which surely brings a loan arrangement for young Toffolo.

As others have said I think if Brady joins us he might be looking towards a Championship loan deal, but he is probably the most likely to make a senior appearance out of the rest of the academy boys who haven''t so far.

I always thought he was a lot better than Ben Wyatt who always used to get far more attention

Wyatt is from Norwich, isn''t he? Might explain why.

As for Toffolo, he was just a more mature player than anyone else in the youth team. His composure was the most impressive thing for me, never looked flustered at all. Physically and going forward I think he''s good enough, haven''t really seen him tested defensively though.

I believe so and he joined the academy at the age of 6.

It obviously didn''t teach him much though as when he was released he joined Ipswich!!!

Toffolo played a lot of games at Centre-back in the youth set ups and he was very calm and composed at the back - always stuck out from the rest along with the Murphy''s and Morris. I really do not think a few Prem games would phase him too much, it''s just the lack of experience which might be exposed. I think the games coming up such as West Ham will be a much sterner test and give everyone a much clearer idea of whether he''ll be ready to step it up just yet.

Southampton seem to have had no qualms about throwing their best teenagers into the first team over the last few years, whether it is League One, Championship or Premier League level. It seems to be working out for them at the moment.However, if Olsson were to suffer a longer term injury in September or November, would we trust Toffolo to start a run of games? If we sign a new right back (which we should in my opinion- Whittaker does a job but we could probably do better) then maybe Whittaker would be the cover for both full back positions.

It''s not difficult to envisage the situation where our fullbacks are Benno and Toffolo, although we have both Martin and Whittaker to be unavailable.

I think that Benno is coming along nicely, and still has enough pace to deal with wingers, and Toffolo has come on in leaps and bounds, - he seems to have grown tall and filled out a bit. I think that the two could do well, so long as we sign a good centre back, and have Tettey to protect the centre.

[quote user="Salopian"]It''s not difficult to envisage the situation where our fullbacks are Benno and Toffolo, although we have both Martin and Whittaker to be unavailable.

I think that Benno is coming along nicely, and still has enough pace to deal with wingers, and Toffolo has come on in leaps and bounds, - he seems to have grown tall and filled out a bit. I think that the two could do well, so long as we sign a good centre back, and have Tettey to protect the centre.[/quote]Do you mean Elliot Bennett? Surely if the move to full back was going to happen, it would have by now? He''s played under three different managers since 2011 and none of them have done more than tried him in that position for the odd game.

Why are our fans so quick to write our youngsters off.....needs a year on loan, why? Could it not be possible that he has the skill and development with his full season on loan last year that he''s deemed good enough for cover to Olsson?

Southampton by bring on their youngsters as do others like Sprs and Man U and yet some would send ours on loan and then loan in a Spurs younster!

I do think we have some funny views but heyho Neil has that final say thank goodness not us fans.

I understand being cautious but I do think we''ve wasted plenty of good potential youngsters in the last 10 years or so by not giving them first team chances. As others have said, players at Southampton in particular but also Spurs/Liverpool/United/elsewhere are making the jump from the development squad to first team (and becoming $15-20m value players in the process in some cases). The likes of Morris and Loza may need a full season at Championship level before moving up; but the Murphys and Toffolo are showing the signs of being ready to compete at the highest level - and getting top flight experience is only going to help their development. With Olsson out, I''d like to see Toffolo start the season at LB; if it doesn''t work out then we still have 3-4 weeks of transfer window to bring someone in; if it does work out and then he''s squeezed out by a returning Olsson, we can look to loan him out at Christmas to get half a season of regular football in the Championship...