Sign in to follow this  
CaptnCanary

Villa in trouble?

Looks like Villa have lost their captain Delph and now Benteke. Signing 21 year old defender. They''ve only just survived recently due to Benteke''s goals. Surely they are going to be in big trouble this season?

IMO they were in pretty iffy shape to start with, so losing their main (only consistent) goal threat and best midfielder definitely won''t help.....but with £40m to spend they have scope to improve things

It was this time last year that dire forecasts were being made about Southampton, because they had sold some high-profile players, including Lambert, Lallana and Shaw. Yet they finished a place higher than the season before. Tedious, I know, but September 2 is the first sensible date for predictions (while factoring in that Koeman is probably a better manager than Sherwood).

Ti be fair to them from what the media are saying they''ve made 2 very promising signings from France. And now with £40m to spend I would expect them to do that comftably. Talk of charlie austin. I know if I was a villa fan I wouldn''t be over the moon to see adebayor replace benteke.

Gunn, Adams and Houghton are probably better managers than Sherwood. Dreadful appointment, one dimensional naive football and nailed on relegation candidates this coming season.

Imo you can''t really compare Saints and their current upward trajectory with Villa''s - the starting points are a million miles away and they have been treading water in the lower reaches of the PL for an age. But obviously no one knows how things will pan out, that''s the whole point - and why it is so astonishing to see some of our own supporters apparently already writing ourselves off.

Has the 7th highest win % in tottenhams history.

I personally think he''s a kn ob head but he did ok at spurs and did ok ish when he took over at villa. Be suprised if he takes them much further than what lambert did.

This thread glorifies the demise of Villa, a bigger club than us. This sentiment took hold with some when they lured the amazingly successful PL away from us.

Another thread gloribiggehe wonderful people of Hamilton because they accept having their amazingly successful manager hijacked by a bigger club.

We love the team we pillaged because they have sense enough to know and accept it was an upward move for their guy while we hate Villa for doing what we did to Hamilton (and Colchester).

I just dislike villa full stop. A club who''s fans just like Everton think they are big clubs....l.not anymore and haven''t been for a long time.

Love the fact their fans who gave us such shite our home game chanting Lamberts name got what they wanted.

I would love for them and Everton to go down.....dreamland.

Villa are a big club Indy.

Massive catchment and support, massive institution and ground, as befits the biggest club in our second city.

Through in their illustrious history, which included being European Cup winners, and they don''t come much bigger in the context of the English game.

The roll of the dice has deemed them not to be amongst the top six in the country nowadays and compounded by backing the wrong benefactor and a series of bad managers (with another in the pipeline.)

Like Lambert as I still do, he didn''t really do much of a job there and eventually lost the support despite the original allowances he was given due to funding not being available to him.

That remarkable goal drought last season sealed it.

If the monopoly of the exclusives is eventually to be broken it is more likely to be by the Aston Villas (and the Tottenhams and the Evertons) than the Southamptons, the Swanseas or the Norwich Citys (?) that break it.

Also, I agree with the Gopher about the relationship to our own poaching from Colchester and Hamilton Accies.

Bigger fleas have smaller fleas etc.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Imo you can''t really compare Saints and their current upward trajectory with Villa''s - the starting points are a million miles away and they have been treading water in the lower reaches of the PL for an age. But obviously no one knows how things will pan out, that''s the whole point - and why it is so astonishing to see some of our own supporters apparently already writing ourselves off.[/quote]I wasn''t comparing them in the sense of suggesting Villa would do well this season, and certainly not as well as Southampton did last season. I was only making the point that you have to wait until all the transfer dealing is done before making a judgment as to how any team will do, and in this case whether Villa will again struggle but survive, or be quickly doomed, or recover a bit.

To be fair, if it''s invested properly this is probably what Villa need. A load of money to strengthen throughout the spine of the team.
They''re a big club in terms of catchment and history but it''s not going to count for too much when it comes to signing players this season.

Much of why Villa consider themselves to be a big club seems to come from that fact that over 50% of the trophies theyve ever won came 2 centuries ago in the late 1800''s when there were only about 20 clubs in the whole football league.

The fact is theyve won ONE football league in 110 years and ONE Fa Cup in over 50 years....hardly qualifies them as a big and/or successful club?!?.

back to the present day , if Randy Lerner ,a chairman thats already trying to sell Villa doesnt give Sherwood a sizable slice ,and by that 75%ish of the £40m theyve just recouped for Benteke and Delph, then quite simply , theyre down.

...rumours are that Sherwood will try to replace Benteke with Adabayor , hardly a player who''ll roll his sleeves up fornthe coming relegation fight Villa have on their hands.

Plenty good enough for a club thats displayed a lack of class over the past few years.

The bottom line is that we all want Villa to continue to fail, and dismally, as it will enhance our own chances of survival.

In this respect the loss of Benteke and Delph is encouraging, whilst I wouldn''t want Sherwood at Carrow Road in a million years.

Its all adding up, but now depends on how the money is spent.

But that could be said of Leeds, Bolton to name a few clubs with big catchment and history! Counts for nothing.

For me these are the sides getting left behind by teams who were behind and now miles away.....Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, Spurs, Liverpool. I don''t see Villa any bigger than Everyon or Newcastle. All just above average sides in the premiership.

As for catchment well there 4 teams around there all about the same, Brum, WBA and wolves, it''s more down to luck that villa haven''t been relegated over the past few years.

I suppose it''s how you view a big team and to me they are not anymore.

The team have only to go on a decent run and forty thousand plus will be piling into Villa Park on a regular basis.

Those Holt Enders come from here there and everywhere.

When I lived in Brum I tended to favour the City, but you only had to drive past Villa Park to realise how massive that club was.

Manchester United, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest are the only English clubs who have reached the pinnacle of European achievement.

Only Wolves come anywhere near Villa in terms of size and support Indy.

Birmingham City fit the role of the poor neighbours, whilst WBA have always been a law unto themselves, although comfortably MoR, their ground is even situated within the Birmingham boundary

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]The team have only to go on a decent run and forty thousand plus will be piling into Villa Park on a regular basis.

When I lived in Brum I tended to favour the City, but you only had to drive past Villa Park to realise how massive that club was.

Manchester United, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest are the only English clubs who have reached the pinnacle of European achievement.[/quote]

"The team have only to go on a decent run and forty thousand plus will be piling into Villa Park on a regular basis."

I think the word you''re searching for there is "fickle"...and Villa are probably the most fickle in the country....25000 one week 40000 the next....and then back down to 25000 again

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Only Wolves come anywhere near Villa in terms of size and support Indy.

Birmingham City fit the role of the poor neighbours, whilst WBA have always been a law unto themselves, although comfortably MoR, their ground is even situated within the Birmingham boundary[/quote]

Not while they are in the championship but the catchment is from the same area and it would soon even out should villa drop.

Villa fans like Newcastle keep believing they are in with the sides I mention but they''re not.

Anyhow like I said I just don''t like nor ever liked Villa.

Going to the OP''s statement Villa are in trouble, yes they are, and have been in the doldrums for too long now, i''m not convinced they will see much of that £40m plus to reinvest in players.

Lerner wants to sell, sooner rather than later and he will be looking to recoup as much money as he can, i can see Sherwood spitting his dummy and walking, turbulent times ahead yet i fear, shame and a s most on here i have no time for Villa or their fickle fans.

Villa are a much bigger club than Norwich, with massive potential for growth. They are easily the most popular of 4 mediocre teams in a huge market. Better operating procedures over an extended period could see them rise like Man C have. It''s only in the last 15 or so years they''ve become one of the elites. Likewise Chelsea. Their success now was a pipedream in the 70s thru 90s when they were rarely if ever a threat to win much of anything.

GTG that could be said of any premiership club.

The size of the ground and the revenue that generates is insignificant compared to the TV revenue and merchandise if you market a successful club.

Chelsea and Man c are great examples of smaller clubs getting lucky.

With the right backer and investment it was easy to buy the league, with the fair play now in force if followed it might be harder, should be harder to repeat.

We will always be a yo yo club as our current owners don''t have the clout and will not sell without setting their criteria on the buyer.

Villa if they go down won''t be a good buy because Newcastle & Sunderland are better investments than Villa.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]The team have only to go on a decent run and forty thousand plus will be piling into Villa Park on a regular basis.

Manchester United, Aston Villa, Liverpool and Nottingham Forest are the only English clubs who have reached the pinnacle of European achievement.
[/quote]

Chelski?

No Villa will be fine. They''ll bob along just above the drop zone as they have done for a while. Austin and Adebayor up top will be enough quality.

If not they may always look to sign an inspirational young Scot whose pulling up trees in East Anglia???!