Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Public image of the club

The old NCFC website was good imo - a classy looking site with easy tio use features.  It was replaced with a hideous concoction of web stuff that looked tacky and was un-user friendly.  It has been improved a bit since then, but to me it still lacks quality - and still lacks user friendliness.  The new kit is farcical - and so was the build up to it.The welcome that opposing teams get at Carrow Road is embarrassing (I find it so, anyway). The Canary Player is poor quality - but at least the You Tube channel is good. The Wembley WallThe rather (imo) insulting 80th anniversary "thank you" to season ticket holdersThe expensive ticketing policy to casuals and away fans These are all things that reflect the club to its fans and to the wider public.  Now the club gets a lot of things right - on the pitch and off it - and footballing wise, we can''t complain that much, especially after last season - but criticism is justified imo, when things that should appeal to fans, obviously don''t.   You can never please everyone - and I know I am in a minority with the on the pitch welcome of  just our team - but really, mistakes like the new website and this new kit do beg the question about decision making and/or delegation of  decision making in regard to the public face of the club. 

Surely the public image of the club is something that the club ought to take more seriously?  When the website started it looked to me as if the website designers were told to get on with it and were trusted to do it and make the decisions themselves.  The latest kit thing looks to me to be a bit of the same attitude - "oh they know best, let them do it how they want".   If that is so, then I think that is wrong and more control needs to be exterted from the club.  If it is not like that and the decisions are made by the club - then that begs the question about how these decisions are arrived at.   Either way questions need to be asked, because imo the new kit is a fiasco imo and reflects badly on the club.  The football side of things is the hard thing to get right - and surely getting the public face right should be the easy part of running a club?  It doesn''t seem that way....

The new kit is not a fiasco to those outside of NCFC. It''s not even a fiasco to those normal city fans, just to some who really have nothing better to do. If you don''t like the shirt, then don''t buy it. Yes everyone has the right to an opinion but you really think people outside of NCFC care? Reflecting badly on the club? Seriously? It may cause some to laugh (especially at us having a 3rd kit) but in no way is it damaging our reputation. There has been and will be a lot worse kits released, by us and other clubs.

The website is generic and a lot of clubs have it. Have all those clubs gone down in your estimation because of theirs?

I think much of what the OP mentions about how the club is run in this respect is just down to the nature of modern football being ruled by commercial interests. The club has to keep generating off-field income as part of a broader plan...

- This seasons kits are indeed embarrassingly hideous but I''ve no doubt that the deal with Errea is far more attractive than using a ''bigger'' supplier.

- Yes, they''re cringe-worthy but the Wembley Wall and 80th anniversary thing are just desperate ploys to generate more revenue.

- With ticketing the rules of supply and demand will apply. If they keep selling at those pricing levels then don''t expect it to change.

- The website is a generic / template and no doubt the most cost-effective way of producing it.

It''s all horribly cynical but this is the reality of modern football. Money rules, and we''ll always be playing catch up with others.

[quote user="Kurious Oranj"]The new kit is not a fiasco to those outside of NCFC. It''s not even a fiasco to those normal city fans, just to some who really have nothing better to do. If you don''t like the shirt, then don''t buy it. Yes everyone has the right to an opinion but you really think people outside of NCFC care? Reflecting badly on the club? Seriously? It may cause some to laugh (especially at us having a 3rd kit) but in no way is it damaging our reputation. There has been and will be a lot worse kits released, by us and other clubs.

The website is generic and a lot of clubs have it. Have all those clubs gone down in your estimation because of theirs?[/quote]

If the club treats people like idiots, then that reflects on the club badly.   It seems that some people think "anything goes" these days and you are not supposed to take things too seriously.    Sorry, but I think how the club treats it''s fans is a serious subject. We are like a captive audience - we don''t choose to support he club - to most of us it''s in our blood.  It''s the club''s responsibility to look after it''s fans, not fob them off with some of the things that they do and expect us to just to sit back without saying anything.   Only by people complaining will standards improve.   The team and matches are one thing - we all need to be totally supportive there - but off field stuff to do with the club can be and to me should be a lot better.

There''s pathetic.
Really pathetic.
Extremely pathetic.
And then there''s this post.

[quote user="lake district canary"]The old NCFC website was good imo - a classy looking site with easy tio use features.  It was replaced with a hideous concoction of web stuff that looked tacky and was un-user friendly.  It has been improved a bit since then, but to me it still lacks quality - and still lacks user friendliness.  The new kit is farcical - and so was the build up to it.The welcome that opposing teams get at Carrow Road is embarrassing (I find it so, anyway). The Canary Player is poor quality - but at least the You Tube channel is good. The Wembley WallThe rather (imo) insulting 80th anniversary "thank you" to season ticket holdersThe expensive ticketing policy to casuals and away fans [/quote]
1) Nothing wrong with the build up. I like the Home and away shirts, as do lots of other fans. Evidenced by the amount sold already.
2) Me and you will never agree on this, so pointless revisiting.
3) It cost''s less than a cup of fucking coffee get the fuck over it.
4) Why is this a problem?
5) I''m guessing you''re offended because you''re not apart of it. Get to some games.
6) I agree with your sentiment on this, but I also see how the club is a business and will take advantage of demand whilst we''re in the brilliant position to do so.

Why is the "public image" of the club important?

I find enough joy and satisfaction out of watching my team play football that I understand the club is also a business and makes decisions because of this.

I don''t understand anyone that can get worked up over small matters such as these. If you don''t like an aspect of the club, don''t participate in it.

I don''t have Canary player as don''t believe it''s worth it.

I don''t often use the official website as its a bit clunky.

Whether I liked the new kit or not, I recognise there are people that will and will buy the shirts. The sales so far has more than excused the supposed ''fiasco'' of the build up also.

The wembley wall is clearly another money making opportunity but as I''m not stupid enough to spend money I don''t have on it, I''ve just ignored it.

Ticketing is supply and demand. The club knows it will sell the tickets. Again, it''s a business.

My advice....enjoy the football. It''s been really good lately and it''ll make you realise how petty those other things are,

[quote user="Ian"]Why is the "public image" of the club important?[/quote]The way the club looks is important - its public image is tied up with the way it is run, that is why it''s important.

I accept what people say about it being a money making exericse, but that public image is what I see and what other fans see.  People will disagree with me, that''s fine, but in the clubs I have been involved with, amateur of course - the whole point of those clubs is to give their members what they want - good facilities, good use of money that is available and quality for whatever activity is being pursued.   I run a  local community music group and we needed a shirt design so we would look good on stage - so I asked asked someone to come up with designs - and then they were put before some of the members of the group to ask them the one they liked the best.   If I had just railroaded a design through and it was unpopular, that would reflect on me - and the group would not be  happy their subs money had been wasted on an ego trip of one person. 

If you took a group of ten fans and asked their opinions about the NCFC kit designs, I am fairly sure that most would say "yuk" - a few appear to like them, fair enough, but to produce a shirt to so much bad publicity is not good - and that reflects badly on the club.  That is the public image - and any club I am a member of, I want to have a good image.  Just accepting everything as it is presented, laughing it off if it isn''t right is all very well, but is not going to lead to good development.  The club imo needs to be kept on it''s toes about the way it treats fans and their money.   

Too many people worry about the niceties and extras of being a "Premier League" club, and forget about the core product in my opinion.

Whilst I understand what you are saying to a certain degree, if we are a successful club in the top division, I really couldn''t care less if our kit is a bit ugly or Canaries Player is not very good. Focus on the football and the rest can follow when we are stabilised.

[quote user="Ian"]Too many people worry about the niceties and extras of being a "Premier League" club, and forget about the core product in my opinion.

Whilst I understand what you are saying to a certain degree, if we are a successful club in the top division, I really couldn''t care less if our kit is a bit ugly or Canaries Player is not very good. Focus on the football and the rest can follow when we are stabilised.[/quote]If I was running a club I would be upset if a below standard product was being offered to it''s paying members.  As for NCFC, while the football is the most important thing, its the little things that can make the experience extra special. 

I support my club and thoroughly enjoy watching my team week-in-week-out. Whilst I don''t like the kits, this, and inconsequential things such as the website don''t matter to me in the slightest once the game has kicked off.

The ''experience'' is the football, pure and simple. It''s all about the football.

You''re talking about smaller groups, societies in your examples which is fine and correct, but we''re in the top tier of one of the biggest leagues of football on the world. I really couldn''t give a toss what others think of us (mainly because we and all clubs get flak pretty consistently about something) as long as we''re successful. The past 5 years, I''d call that successful.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]I support my club and thoroughly enjoy watching my team week-in-week-out. Whilst I don''t like the kits, this, and inconsequential things such as the website don''t matter to me in the slightest once the game has kicked off.[/quote]
Ah, but that''s because you support Norwich City and the team. You''re not a media-hungry, sofa-sitting fan who cares about all the other stuff.
Same with me, kits don''t bother me,  I quite like a couple of them. The website, it''s just a template used across hundreds of other websites. I couldn''t possibly care enough to comment on it, unless it prevented me getting tickets or something.
Football. That''s what i''m concerned about.

Hit the nail on the head there. When teams enter the pitch and they''re not welcomed, I bet no away fans or the team even notices. We''re trying to win a game of football, not make friends.

I like the stripy shirt, as for the rest of the OP I''m afraid it''s verbose guff.

Does little to improve the image of our club if regular posters on this message board produce this sort of garbage.😄

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Ian"]Why is the "public image" of the club important?[/quote]

The way the club looks is important - its public image is tied up with the way it is run, that is why it''s important.

I accept what people say about it being a money making exericse, but that public image is what I see and what other fans see.  People will disagree with me, that''s fine, but in the clubs I have been involved with, amateur of course - the whole point of those clubs is to give their members what they want - good facilities, good use of money that is available and quality for whatever activity is being pursued.   I run a  local community music group and we needed a shirt design so we would look good on stage - so I asked asked someone to come up with designs - and then they were put before some of the members of the group to ask them the one they liked the best.   If I had just railroaded a design through and it was unpopular, that would reflect on me - and the group would not be  happy their subs money had been wasted on an ego trip of one person. 

If you took a group of ten fans and asked their opinions about the NCFC kit designs, I am fairly sure that most would say "yuk" - a few appear to like them, fair enough, but to produce a shirt to so much bad publicity is not good - and that reflects badly on the club.  That is the public image - and any club I am a member of, I want to have a good image.  Just accepting everything as it is presented, laughing it off if it isn''t right is all very well, but is not going to lead to good development.  The club imo needs to be kept on it''s toes about the way it treats fans and their money. 

[/quote]

Got your wires crossed there LDC, I think you meant to write "the majority seem to like the kit based on records sales but a few don''t like it".

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]I support my club and thoroughly enjoy watching my team week-in-week-out. Whilst I don''t like the kits, this, and inconsequential things such as the website don''t matter to me in the slightest once the game has kicked off.[/quote]
Ah, but that''s because you support Norwich City and the team. You''re not a media-hungry, sofa-sitting fan who cares about all the other stuff.
[/quote]Ah, but that''s where you would be wrong, if referring to me.   I care not a jot for media stuff.  I''m against all the hype and attempts at raising money to fuel an insatiable money oriented product.  And it''s not the watching from a sofa that gets me cringing - it''s when I visit CR and hear the wretched announcer go "welcome your team, Norwich City", when there are two teams coming out and two sets of fans in the stadium.  

And the club isn''t about just football. If you think that, you are missing a whole lot more. The football club is about people - on the pitch and off the pitch.    Railroading an inferior product off the pitch in terms of presentatation and quality and i include the kit in that - is not what should be happening imo.  Just get someone in who has a bit of nous in how to put on a show.  John Bond, knew how to get some razmatazz into proceedings, smiling, welcoming, friendly to all (before a match).   Being friendly and welcoming is something to be proud of - and it doesn''t mean we are being soft - in fact it can work in our favour, softening up the opposition and then doing the business on the pitch.   

[quote user="lake district canary"]when I visit CR and hear the wretched announcer go "welcome your team, Norwich City", when there are two teams coming out and two sets of fans in the stadium.[/quote]You big girls blouse! [8o|]Much better back in the day when the away team ran out first, you could boo them and boo them and boo them again until your own team came out and then the cheering would raise the roof. Didn''t need any announcer to rally the fans nor to start them singing OTBC. It was pure passion, none of this manufactured nicety you want more of.  Pussy! [:S]

"When I visit CR and hear the wretched announcer go "welcome your team, Norwich City", when there are two teams coming out and two sets of fans in the stadium".

I couldn''t care less that we don''t welcome the other team, and the majority of home fans would probably agree with me. We''re there to win, not make friends. And if you think the away fans or team care either, you''re deluded. This is no way at all would ever affect the public image of the club.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]when I visit CR and hear the wretched announcer go "welcome your team, Norwich City", when there are two teams coming out and two sets of fans in the stadium.[/quote]You big girls blouse! [8o|]Much better back in the day when the away team ran out first, you could boo them and boo them and boo them again until your own team came out and then the cheering would raise the roof. Didn''t need any announcer to rally the fans nor to start them singing OTBC. It was pure passion, none of this manufactured nicety you want more of.  Pussy! [:S][/quote]

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]Usual sh*te from Long Distance Canary .

If you feel as though you are being treated like an idiot ,,, possibly stopping behaving as such might bring a different response ?[/quote] Err... I don''t and I''m not. I prefer to think of it as me having opinions as to the running of the club and the way it presents itself.  You can either agree or disagree.  Its up to you.