Sign in to follow this  
FCC

Canaries - Yellow Shirts Please!

Would Newcastle ditch the black and white stripes? Would Liverpool not wear red? Leeds are all white! We know these kits, we associate with them.

Other clubs remain faithful with their first kits - we should have. We wear Yellow shirts. Flirt with the green - but half and half is too much!

Yellow shirts, green shorts - don''t throw away tradition for a fast buck. Never, ever do this again!

Is anyone around from when we switched from black to green shorts and what the opinion was there?

[quote user="KiwiScot"]Is anyone around from when we switched from black to green shorts and what the opinion was there?[/quote]

The wounds from that fiasco are still raw. There are old timers in the City Stand who I still won''t speak to as a result of the arguments we had over those coloured shorts. I remember after one particular argument I ended up settling it with a bottle of Watney''s right over some old duffer''s head. People say violence doesn''t solve anything, but it shut that old blowhard right up.

[quote user="KiwiScot"]Is anyone around from when we switched from black to green shorts and what the opinion was there?[/quote]Yes, me.We changed from black shorts to green in the 1965/66 season and as I remember it, there were quite a number of people unhappy about it at that time. During my first 10 or 12 years as a supporter, we always wore black shorts with a double yellow stripe so the change to green was controversial. Personally, I would have liked us to go back to black shorts with this seasons retro kit.

Well Ricardo we have a nice set of black shorts in the third strip and fo me I''d wear green shorts with the away shirt then add the yellow to finish off that dreadful third strip.

I''m with you I reckon black shorts might well look good and complete the retro look.

Yes we have nice collection of parts we can mix and match with now - halved shirts, with black shorts and green socks might be good, plus an all green away strip, and if needed a black shirt for an all black third.

Surely we went "back to black" after that Rickyyyy. Didn''t Geoffrey Watling change them because they were more durable in the wash? Imagine if the cook and her cohorts reverted to penny pinching in that scale...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Surely we went "back to black" after that Rickyyyy. Didn''t Geoffrey Watling change them because they were more durable in the wash? Imagine if the cook and her cohorts reverted to penny pinching in that scale...[/quote]We have never been "back to black" since 1965. In fact it has been unrelenting green for nigh on 50 years apart from two seasons 97 to 99 when we had the all yellow kit.My abiding memory of the change to green in ''65/66 was that it was also the time when the baggy shorts went out of fashion and the short shorts came in. It always looked to me that Gordon Bolland was playing in his swimming trunks.[:D]

According to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Norwich_City/Norwich_City.htm we did go back to black shorts a couple of times in the late 60s.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]According to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Norwich_City/Norwich_City.htm we did go back to black shorts a couple of times in the late 60s.[/quote]If this is correct then my memory must be failing and it certainly does not accord with "The Canary Companion" by Roger Smith. extended 3rd edition page 161 (KIT).

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="alex_ncfc"]According to http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Norwich_City/Norwich_City.htm we did go back to black shorts a couple of times in the late 60s.[/quote]If this is correct then my memory must be failing and it certainly does not accord with "The Canary Companion" by Roger Smith. extended 3rd edition page 161 (KIT).[/quote]

Probably wiped from your memory because it was the first two Ron Saunders seasons which were the most dire in my living memory.

And I joke not. The reason for the change was that the black shorts were more durable. We got that penny pinching excuse on the back of the sales of Davies and Curran. Zigger zigger...

He''s our saviour forever now though[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

And I joke not. The reason for the change was that the black shorts were more durable. We got that penny pinching excuse on the back of the sales of Davies and Curran. Zigger zigger...

He''s our saviour forever now though[;)]

[/quote]Millions of brain cells die every day Nigel. Apparently the ones that held the "reverted to black shorts" memory for me, have long since departed.[:D]