Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

Nigel Worthington

Did well - but poor decisions in releasing players and replacing with mercenaries for the Premier League cost him.

Turned it round after the abysmal Bryan Hamilton and his crop of misfits, freebies and European calamities.

Got the squad united and playing as a formidable and well drilled unit - perspiration rather than inspiration until we got Huckerby.

However, when you start a season in the top division of football with Craig Fleming and Simon Charlton as your first choice centre backs, you don''t deserve to be a premier league manager.

It all went wrong very quickly.

He was given one season too many and should have been sacked at the end of the previous season, he deserved better than the bile and hatred many aimed at him and his public execution against Burnley is a stain on the "family club"''s reputation.

Would be a great director of football. Is respected in the game would get the transfers over the line unlike mcnasty

Also responsible for one of my favourite Norwich chants. " your not worthy anymore your not worthy anymore"

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Turned it round after the abysmal Bryan Hamilton and his crop of misfits, freebies and European calamities.

Got the squad united and playing as a formidable and well drilled unit - perspiration rather than inspiration until we got Huckerby.

However, when you start a season in the top division of football with Craig Fleming and Simon Charlton as your first choice centre backs, you don''t deserve to be a premier league manager.

It all went wrong very quickly.

He was given one season too many and should have been sacked at the end of the previous season, he deserved better than the bile and hatred many aimed at him and his public execution against Burnley is a stain on the "family club"''s reputation.[/quote]Very much this[Y]

Having met him at a few functions, a lovely intelligent guy. Agree would have made a great director of football.

His only issue was lack of funds after 9 seasons of championship football. Made Doc a legend in fans eyes.

Nothing but highest respect as I have for Brown, Stringer, Walker & Lambert.

He wanted Ashton to be signed during the close season rather than the following January but the board preferred to build the Jarrold-N&P corner stand. Had they backed Worthy we may have stayed up with Ashton''s goals.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]He wanted Ashton to be signed during the close season rather than the following January but the board preferred to build the Jarrold-N&P corner stand. Had they backed Worthy we may have stayed up with Ashton''s goals.[/quote]When he was manager of Norwich I was doing some scouting for another club. I asked him about a Norwich first-team player. He was very honest about the player which I appreciated. I said to him that he should sign Ashton from Crewe. He didn''t know of him but was very keen to know more. That was more than a year before Norwich signed him.

Herman,I appreciated NW''s honesty with me about his player. I had recommended DA to the club that I was doing some scouting for but they had other ideas. I was totally certain of my judgement of DA so I thought that I might as well pass the tip to NW as he had been so honest with me about his player.It was certainly before July 2003 and NW said to me at that time that he didn''t know of DA. DA didn''t sign for Norwich until Jan 2005.

When managers talk to people about players they never tell the complete truth, just because he said that to you doesn''t mean it''s true and lets be honest, you do come across as a bit of a fantasist.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]When managers talk to people about players they never tell the complete truth, just because he said that to you doesn''t mean it''s true and lets be honest, you do come across as a bit of a fantasist.[/quote]I can assure you that NW was being completely honest. He thought the player was going to be leaving, said which area of the country the player wanted to live etc. He was right.

hindsight is a wonderful thing..
Worthington lost his way massively during the premiership season and probably should have been gone then (if not at the end of it)
unfortunately, and you have to blame the board for this, they showed TOO MUCH Loyalty to him that it led to all the trouble we saw... 
he was a good manager when he came in and all through the playoff and promotion season, however the clubs blind loyalty started a decline which really only ended when Lambert came in.
Worthingtons name is tarnished here...
I do honestly think if the fan''s hadn''t forced the clubs hand with the protests we''d have continued to spiral downwards under worthy and not be where we are now...

He simply bought good football back to Carrow Road after years of dross.

Was very poorly treated by the fans at the end who have very short memories. - Most probably weren''t there during the previous years just jumped on the bandwagon once the man got us to the Premiership. then got upset when they knew they weren''t going to be able to see their beloved United and Spurs the following season.

It was his time to go but didn''t deserve to go like that.

Stabilised the club after some poor years with Rioch/Hamilton but always known for tactical blunders - iffy substitutions (Sutch on for McVeigh as soon as we go one up at Cardiff...) and blind loyalty to players past their best (Gary Holt - remember the debates on here?! Selected week in, week out, even at right back...when we had actual right backs in the squad!)

Always thought he got a little lucky with Huckerby - people go on about Crouch and Harper but it was more the feel good factor of bringing in 3 Premiership players on 3 month loans, Huckerby was always the one who was going to make the difference. That season 03-04 was looking like potentially being very dull until he arrived.

The Premiership season was an absolute disaster and going 3-4 months without a win really was painful to watch. His only saving grace was that there were 2 or 3 other clubs who hadn''t won a game all season by November either, but I think eventually we were the last of the lot to have not won a game. Then the away record...THAT away record. Should have been sacked during this season that is for sure.

Somehow managed to cling on into 05-06 - *definitely* should''ve been sacked when we found ourselves bottom after the first month of the season! How he then managed to get through *that* season into 06-07 is beyond me.

Conclusion: good stable appointment during a tough time and got the fans interested again, but blind faith by the board left him hung out to dry and he far outstayed his welcome.

A decent manager (although he woudn''t make any top-six list) who was lucky that the directors showed great ambition in backing him in the transfer market, lucky that the directors didn''t back him as much as he wanted, so saving him from being responsible for a financial meltdown, and unlucky that they got all sentimental and kept him on into the 2006-07 season, so tarnishing his reputation.