Sign in to follow this  
KoromaCrab

Chris Hughton

[quote user="kick it off"]Is there a point to this thread?[/quote]
About as much as there was to our attacking potency under him.

Respected and liked throughout football, the evidence of his managerial career overall is that his teams are free scoring and with players  that enjoy playing for him.  At Norwich this all fell apart - largely through him attempting to take the club in a different direction than the players already there were used to.  Would have required three seasons with patience to sort it out, but things started going wrong too soon and his hand was forced in the second season to try and attack more, without the players really to do it, with key players being injured - E.Bennett - yes - would have given Snodgrass competition - Fer, Howson, Tettey - all injured for significant periods.   RVW and  Hooper also injured at times - and not able to capitalise on the meagre chances created through lack of midfield creativity and constantly giving the ball away or to Snodgrass - which unless he scored amounted to the same thing - his team lost their way completely in the last few weeks of his tenure. 

Now at Brighton trying to prove he can create a solid but free scoring team as he had at Newcastle and Birmingham.  The jury is out whether he will succeed or not.   I hope he does.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Respected and liked throughout football, the evidence of his managerial career overall is that his teams are free scoring and with players  that enjoy playing for him.  At Norwich this all fell apart - largely through him attempting to take the club in a different direction than the players already there were used to.  Would have required three seasons with patience to sort it out, but things started going wrong too soon and his hand was forced in the second season to try and attack more, without the players really to do it, with key players being injured - E.Bennett - yes - would have given Snodgrass competition - Fer, Howson, Tettey - all injured for significant periods.   RVW and  Hooper also injured at times - and not able to capitalise on the meagre chances created through lack of midfield creativity and constantly giving the ball away or to Snodgrass - which unless he scored amounted to the same thing - his team lost their way completely in the last few weeks of his tenure. 

Now at Brighton trying to prove he can create a solid but free scoring team as he had at Newcastle and Birmingham.  The jury is out whether he will succeed or not.   I hope he does. [/quote]
1) Liked throughout football, probably because he doesn''t say what needs to be said, but instead what people like to here.
2) Free-scoring. Newcastle with that squad in the championship would be free-scoring under me.
3) No evidence he''d have sorted it in 3 seasons.
4) Those players were capable of attacking. See previous seasons under Lambert for proof.
5) Average / Below Average at Brighton so far.

[quote user="lake district canary"]with key players being injured - E.Bennett - yes - would have given Snodgrass competition.........and constantly giving the ball away or to Snodgrass - which unless he scored amounted to the same thing......[/quote]Did Snoddy run off with your wife Lakey?How can you blame just one player for the incompetence of the manager?If Snoddy was as bad as you make out.....why didn''t Hughton drop him? If he couldn''t see what you profess to see, surely that makes him woefully incompetent.You make no sense. 

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="lake district canary"]with key players being injured - E.Bennett - yes - would have given Snodgrass competition.........and constantly giving the ball away or to Snodgrass - which unless he scored amounted to the same thing......[/quote]Did Snoddy run off with your wife Lakey?How can you blame just one player for the incompetence of the manager?If Snoddy was as bad as you make out.....why didn''t Hughton drop him? If he couldn''t see what you profess to see, surely that makes him woefully incompetent.You make no sense.  [/quote]Running in to dead ends, the histrionics and complaining, the falling over a feather, lobbed crosses delivered when the defence had had loads of time to get back while he dithered on the ball, the occasional good goal.  Did Snodgrass getting on the ball ever make you stand up in anticipation like Huckerby did or Ruel Fox or Dale Gordon?  I wouldn''t have thought so, because no-one expected him to actually deliver anything. He did score some good goals - but to me - and I saw nearly every minute of every game that season - he was a domineering player and an occasional hero in a poor team - and that isn''t saying much.  Hughton wasn''t strong enough to do anything about him or the team in the end, but Snodgrass''s attitude and decsion making was often self-centred and not condusive to team play.  Its only my opinion - and I''ll only re-assess it if Snodgrass proves me wrong at another club when fully fit - but he was a central part of how that season went after Bennett''s injury.  Hughton takes the blame and responsibility, but Snodgrass didn''t help the cause enough either through his trying to do everything himself - and that hasn''t even taken into account that penalty.........

Houghton knew how to spell his name.He also knew the difference between are and our.He never once said could of, should of or would of.And he feckin hates those clapper thingies.

Houghton once took a priceless Rembrandt to auction. It sold for 3 quid.

Negative, backward looking purveyor of dinosaur football who hoovered up most of our players self-confidence and gave them all the look you will see in the eyes of men diagnosed with shellshock in war photographs.

Had no attacking plan, and couldn''t organise us defensively. We parked the bus in some home games. It was dour, uninspiring, tedious. For the first time in a long time, I started taking the cryptic crossword to games with me knowing I would get more enjoyment from that than the match in front of me, and more challenge than the opposition typically found from our emasculated first team.

A failure.

Well, if Snodgrass wasn''t doing what Houghton wanted then any strong and decisive manager would have taken steps to resolve the way Snodgrass was performing - either by dropping him (extreme) or telling him to cut out the playacting and the "moaning" and focusing on his game. I saw no change in the way Snodgrass conducted himself that season which either suggests Houghton was happy with his performances, or Houghton was too weak to challenge Snodgrass and change his behaviour for the better. Either way, it smacks of weak management.

Uninspiring, over cautious and ultimately the poison that killed the patient.

The 2nd half of his 1st season gave us all the signs of what was to come and yet he was allowed to stay for a fatal amount of time.

... But let''s move on!

I work near Brighton with a dozen or so Seagulls fans. They were really happy when they got him - I did try to warn them but they wouldn''t have it.

No, they are not so sure. Negative and boring football they say. Told you so, I say.

I''ll give him until Christmas before he is on his bike again.

Clearly a nice man. Equally clearly, a very negative football manager and until he wises up he won''t hold a job down because he will always p**s off the fans.