Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Kent

What did we learn from last night???

Having travelled down to Colchester last night, with my extended family(who are Col U fans), I feel I needed to post to explain what I learnt from watching our boys for the first time since the Fulham debacle.

1st-Gary Doherty has lost weight,but NOT gained the ability to head,tackle,pass or control. Yes,that''s right folks, he''s still as inept as he was last season

2nd-At some point this season, Andy Hughes will break someone''s leg or seriously injure them. As he was jumping into tackles left right and centre last night!

3rd-Jason Shackell should be captain(think we already knew that but anyway)

4th-Ian Henderson still cannot take people on

5th-Greg Halford should def 110% be on Worthy''s shopping list as he looked quality last night

6th-That we need the following; centre back, centre mid, poss striker and a right winger

All this as well as refreshing our memories on the following;Deano is quality,Hucks'' pace scared them senseless,we''re still rubbish at set-pieces,our fans are still awesome and sing their hearts out.

So to some up,we need to improve our defence and the attack will take care of itself.

Rant over

Kenty!

Thanks for the report Kenty

How did the youngsters do in central midfield?  Fisk and Jarvis had a good twenty minutes together and given every other central midfield is currently unfit (either physically or mentally:blink one could start on Sat week!

Wide right remains a problem spot for city and needs filling and if Doc is not up to the mark then we should get someone else in or play charlie with shacks on Friday (no over rated Primus signings please...)

I felt fairly comfortable with Leon, Deano, Thorne, Hux and Jarvis and then you say we need another - what make you say that and what type of striker do we need?

What impressed about Halford?  I would like to see us make a bid given the reports I have heard but know little about him.

OTBC  

[quote]Thanks for the report Kenty How did the youngsters do in central midfield? Fisk and Jarvis had a good twenty minutes together and given every other central midfield is currently unfit (either physic...[/quote]

Right then Zipper lets see if I can help you out.

Fisk

Looked a little lost, neat and tidy and that''s about it.

Jarvis

Different kettle of fish altogether. Looked calm and assured on the ball, played some quality passes, and nearly put Ashton through on two occasions with quite astute passes just a shame they were intercepted but at least it showed good vision. Not afraid to get stuck in either, just needs to fill out a little. Imo looks more promising than his brother.

Doherty

Absolute pants last night, got skinned over and over again by their No 11 Iwelumo (good job he went off otherwise it would have been 3 or 4 nil by halftime).

Hughes

Put himself about quite well probably our 2nd best player after Mckenzie in the 1st half. Should have been red carded last night to be honest, but I would hope he will settle down before the season starts or he''ll be suspended more than he plays. Looks a good acquisition though.

Charlton

He''s not a central midfielder Worthy sort it out! Did the same thing all through the game. Controlled the ball, did a little drag back with his left foot, looked up, and then passed it to a Colchester player every time!

Colin

Looks a damn good defender

Louis-Jean

Same as above

Shackell

Not as assured as normal, but still did well. Unlucky with the deflection for the 2nd goal.

Drury

Solid as always got stuck in.

Thorne

Not as good as against Dereham, not sure on him yet.

Ashton/Hucks

Changed the game, both gave everything. Tended to go into the same places though, but this will change once Hucks is pushed back left.

Brennan

Didn''t do a lot, don''t think he''ll be good enough for us.

Mckenzie

Best player in the 1st half, anything we created came from him, run his socks off.

Overall

It wasn''t a good performance, lots of hoooofs up from the back from both sides. All the full backs did was hit hopeful balls up the line for people to run onto. Let''s hope the midfield will be fit for Coventry as their wasn''t much creativity last night.

Sorry it''s gone on a bit, but you did ask!!

I think Halford could be a great buy Zipper.  He scores goals from midfield although he has also played up front and in defence (right back I think).  Scored a hat-trick against Rushden last year.  He is in the England U20 team/squad.

Long term could be a Francis replacement but perhaps not in his first season but also could be a wide right player.

August 64

We learnt that we are woefully short of quality all over the pitch. City''s magnificent 25,000+ fans deserve much better than this. Still, you never know, things could be looking much brighter come Aug 6th. It''s a certainty that the problematic midfield area will need to be sorted out by then, otherwise I can see no more than 3 points from the 1st 3 fixtures.

[quote]Thanks for the report Kenty How did the youngsters do in central midfield? Fisk and Jarvis had a good twenty minutes together and given every other central midfield is currently unfit (either physic...[/quote]

"I felt fairly comfortable with Leon, Deano, Thorne, Hux and Jarvis and then you say we need another - what make you say that and what type of striker do we need?"

Just think that a 4th proven striker would make the others improve their game(wouldn''t get complacent)

but obviously midfield and defence should be a priority.I was very impressed with Jarvis jnr,looked very comfortable on the ball.

Please Worthy,never play Doc again-my mum''s better than him........and she''s dead!

Regarding last nights "match" I too went to the game with some relatives from the Colchester Area. 

I agree with the comments about young Andrew Fisk seemed a little lost.

Rossi Jarvis was very comfortable on the ball, and was quite assured, but I think he looked slow (more so than his borther) and I dont think he would be ready for the championship for a while.

I was dissappointed that Andrew Cave Brown did not play as he is a youngster who has impressed me on the few occasions I have seen him play always consistant.