Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Debt Free The new Norwich Way

The majority on this board where singing Delia''s praises not so long ago, claiming that the Stowmarket 2 had secured our long term future by clearing our debts

What the majority of you have failed to realise is that she also stated that as majority shareholders they would also not be prepared to invest any funds into the club in the future - we all know outside investment is shunned if it means that the pair have to give up 100% control of the club by diluting there shareholding below the magic 50%

A rough estimate of the surplus funds we have available to spend is around £40M  (wages last season £30M doubled on promotion to Prem to £60M - a year in Prem worth £100M)

What do the board intend to do with this money, I am assuming a substantial amount has been put to one side into a rainy day fund for hard times in the future leaving Neil with probably less to work with than Adams wasted last summer

One can only hope Neil can continue his magic and we take the prem by storm but without investment in the defence and reinforcement down the left flank I feel we will struggle

The Boards financial policies scared off Lambert a few years ago and I sincerely hope Neil will not go the same way

I genuinely believe we need knew owners who have a football and business brain if we are to progress, we will go absolutely no where under the current ownership

Fingers crossed for this season - what a wasted opportunity if we go straight back down

As I posted elsewhere calculated risk is one thing but if the players don''t want to come what chance does the club have? To negate our image of a small club a cast amount of cash will be required to attract top class players to come here. The simple fact is we don''t have the cash or the big club draw, so the player pool to chiose from is limited.

Our wage bill will no doubt be pushing 50 million + this season already, to sign any half decent player you need to look at paying a starting point is 20k a week + so that''s another 1 million for each player in on wages alone!

I''m pretty sure the club have enquired about target A players and probably been knocked back on first choice players.

We gave to accept what we have, who we are and what is success for our club.

Pie in the sky dreams of signing 5 players for 30 or 40 million are a long way off for our club for the time being.

It''s too easy to point fingers because we have to make do with cheap options because bigger and richer clubs can buy expensive options.

The only way this will ever change is with big money investment, we can attract that either, so chill and enjoy being back in the big time......

[quote user="Newton"]I genuinely believe we need knew owners who have a football and business brain if we are to progress, we will go absolutely no where under the current ownership[/quote]Who should these new owners be Newton. Name names.

[quote user="Newton"]

The majority on this board where singing Delia''s praises not so long ago, claiming that the Stowmarket 2 had secured our long term future by clearing our debts

What the majority of you have failed to realise is that she also stated that as majority shareholders they would also not be prepared to invest any funds into the club in the future - we all know outside investment is shunned if it means that the pair have to give up 100% control of the club by diluting there shareholding below the magic 50%

A rough estimate of the surplus funds we have available to spend is around £40M  (wages last season £30M doubled on promotion to Prem to £60M - a year in Prem worth £100M)

What do the board intend to do with this money, I am assuming a substantial amount has been put to one side into a rainy day fund for hard times in the future leaving Neil with probably less to work with than Adams wasted last summer

One can only hope Neil can continue his magic and we take the prem by storm but without investment in the defence and reinforcement down the left flank I feel we will struggle

The Boards financial policies scared off Lambert a few years ago and I sincerely hope Neil will not go the same way

I genuinely believe we need knew owners who have a football and business brain if we are to progress, we will go absolutely no where under the current ownership

Fingers crossed for this season - what a wasted opportunity if we go straight back down

[/quote]

I can''t take anyone seriously who doesn''t know the difference between "where" and "were" or "there" and "their".

[quote user="Newton"]if we are to progress, we will go absolutely no where under the current ownership [/quote]

It is statements like this that are just so hard to believe that you are genuine.   Running a football club is no picnic - but look at the facts and you will see one of the best run clubs in the country.  Name similar sized clubs that have had four out of five seasons in the premiership, have been down and almost out financially and league position wise and yet find themselves in the top flight with essetially no debt. 

Yes, we want to progress, but you want to throw away everything that has got us in such a great position in the hope that someone with vast millions to spend will come in and somehow rescue us.  But rescue us from what?  A rich investor to have any real effect would have to have so much money that it would change the club out of all recognition - and not necessarily in a good way.   Even with a mythical financial saviour, there are no guarantees of being a top half premiership club year after year. 

There are no guarantees!!!  Get used to it, enjoy the brilliant success that this club has - and appreciate that as well as all the ups there will be a few downs too. That''s life - enjoy it.

[quote user="Newton"]

Fingers crossed for this season - what a wasted opportunity if we go straight back down [/quote]

A well deserved ''Huzzar'' from me Newton. [Y]

Agree with Newton.

Long overdue change at the top and what better time to do it as we are in the Prem looking attractive to buyers.

As it stands the fans are paying more and the club is spending less and stagnating.

And who gave the green light on that hideous third kit, Delia!

For once I do kind of agree with Newton (kind of).

I agree that they have taken us as far as we can go financially, every season the investment in running a premier league team seems to get bigger and bigger and if you want to survive it seems as though a large amount of money is needed (seems) which they haven''t got.

However, I think the first thing we need to do is cull the current squad, 25 have gone to Germany, there are another 4 in Austria that would be deemed as ''first team squad members'' being Murphy, Thompson, McGrandles and Miquel, and then we have 2 injured in Lafferty and Olsson.

This equates to 31 in the squad and we can only name 25 as a premier league squad plus those that achieve the Under 21 rule.

I would imagine we need to move in at least 6 and this will maybe allow us to bring in a couple of ''needed'' players.

Make the squad manageable, move on those that will never get near the first team squad and let''s replace with less that will.

Unlike Watford and Bournemouth we don''t need drastic reform of a squad, just a tweak here and there.

I suspect the problem with getting in is the fact that we need some out first.

The fact is that the financial reward for being in the PL in 2016/17 are massive. If we are relegated this coming season it will be a catastrophe from which NCFC may not recover for a very long time. This is why the board''s refusal to spend and our apparent reliance on ''team spirit'' and an undistinguished manager who, this time last year, was employed by Hamilton Academicals is jaw droppingly stupid.

Now here''s a post/poster I can''t agree with.

Who said the board have refused to spend and who has said we will rely on team spirit?

And if you can''t see the positive impact AN has had on the team since he arrived and his record since he has been here, then you clearly are either stupid or on a wind up.

Come on, you can''t seriously believe the drivel you come up with.

I sometimes wonder whether people would prefer us to spend a fortune in the hope of success and end up like Ipswich and Leeds etc etc.

Spending a fortune doesn''t guarantee success as QPR have proven time and time again.

I see the depressive anti-Norwich Wiz is back for his umpteenth year of bemoaning anything and everything Norwich do. I thought you had sodded off once and for all!?  But heck, love heckling your deluded opinions of grudges against the club and not being able to support them like a fan or supporter should.

[quote user="Newton"]

1) What the majority of you have failed to realise is that she also stated that as majority shareholders they would also not be prepared to invest any funds into the club in the future.2) We all know outside investment is shunned if it means that the pair have to give up 100% control of the club by diluting there shareholding below the magic 50%

3)  A rough estimate of the surplus funds we have available to spend is around £40M  (wages last season £30M doubled on promotion to Prem to £60M - a year in Prem worth £100M). What do the board intend to do with this money, I am assuming a substantial amount has been put to one side into a rainy day fund for hard times in the future leaving Neil with probably less to work with than Adams wasted last summer

[/quote]1) Delia may have said that. It is perfectly possible, and believable. They are not rich. But as it has passed me by I would like to see the quote, for my records.2) We don''t all know that. And I do not believe it.3) This year in the Premier League is worth about £65m rather than £100m. Our overall turnover will probably get close to £100m, but that includes income we would have got back in the Championship. But in any event even if wages return close to the £60m mark (a reasonable guess) that doesn''t mean we have £40m to spend, with the ability to put millions aside for a rainy day. There are other expenses besides player wages. In the comparable season two years ago, with the same TV deal in place, we only made a profit of £6m because relegation meant we didn''t have to pay various bonuses.

[quote user="dibbler"]Agree with Newton.

Long overdue change at the top and what better time to do it as we are in the Prem looking attractive to buyers.[/quote]But who are these buyers?For all the whingeing ''n whining  ''n wailing ''n whimpering about new owners, not one of you can come up with any suggestions of who this should be.C''mon, name a few names........

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="dibbler"]Agree with Newton.

Long overdue change at the top and what better time to do it as we are in the Prem looking attractive to buyers.[/quote]But who are these buyers?For all the whingeing ''n whining  ''n wailing ''n whimpering about new owners, not one of you can come up with any suggestions of who this should be.C''mon, name a few names........[/quote]Also agree with Newton that they have taken the club as far as they can.Surely it''s the current owners responsibility to market the club to find new owners not the fans.It''s all about the current incumbents admitting to themselves they can take the club no further and letting it be known they want to sell.

To be fair to those saying about selling the club, none of us know the exact restraint and clauses that the current board have in place for any potential buyer or investor and to that means I can understand the moaning.

But not many businesses types been keen or linked to our club, so like the players we appear not to be such a good proposition to any investors, being little old Norwich.

We just need to build on what we have for the time being, we are a little yellow minnow in a huge pond of European big fish all looking for that next Messi, just ours is always going to Wessi!

Rather than asking who the buyers are Newton has in mind, I''d rather ask him where they are. There don''t seem to be many out there keen to put in even the relatively modest amount of money it would take. Does Newton really think there''s been a queue of people over the last few years (since the well-publicised interest of  Peter C and T Fernandes) itching to buy the club, all of whom have been sent packing by the current owners? His usual answer is "There must have been, but it''s all kept under the carpet". If people believe that, they''ll believe anything.

Even if it''s true that Delia''s reign has on some measures made progress and been better than her predecessor, the standard of football hasn''t improved. In fact it''s got worse.There are positive signs emerging from Alex Neil''s appointment and McNally''s recent reforms, but we''re still no better off in footballing terms than we were in say the 1990-91 or 1991-92 seasons.It seems in many ways that going from Chase to Delia has been like jumping from the frying pan into the fire. But I''d rather still be sat in the frying pan watching us play the Norwich way, than sat in the fire groaning at players who can''t get the basics right.I just hope that Alex Neil kickstarts something good at Norwich like John Bond did a couple of generations ago. We''ve seen before that a good boot room can overcome a questionable owner.

Norwich City Football Club is in a better place now than at any time in our history. Sure, there have been times in the past when we have a a few good seasons here and there but many more average/poor ones. Our owners must be credited with the success we now enjoy.Many clubs have paraded shiny new owners who have promised the earth and certainly, some have been successful. However when you look at clubs like Leeds, Coventry, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Cardiff etc, you realise these "investors" can be very hit or miss.I think the club is in very good hands and long may it remain so. In the words of the old song.......[8] You don'' know what you''ve got, until you lose it....[8] 

[quote user="lappinitup"]Norwich City Football Club is in a better place now than at any time in our history. Sure, there have been times in the past when we have a a few good seasons here and there but many more average/poor ones. Our owners must be credited with the success we now enjoy.Many clubs have paraded shiny new owners who have promised the earth and certainly, some have been successful. However when you look at clubs like Leeds, Coventry, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Cardiff etc, you realise these "investors" can be very hit or miss.I think the club is in very good hands and long may it remain so. In the words of the old song.......[8] You don'' know what you''ve got, until you lose it....[8] [/quote]

Agree totally.  Some people just seem to want to permanently try and rock the boat, or they appear to have some obessive dislike of anything the club does.   The club isn''t immune to criticism, but there is a limit to it - and to continually complain about lack of progress is frankly ridiculous.   Football is a series of ups and downs, always has been, always will be - we''ve had more ups than downs over the years - last season being one of the best for goals, excitement and drama we have ever seen.  There is a saying in football that you are only as good as your last performance - well in our case - that has to be the best ever.   So if that isn''t progress, I don''t know what is.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="lappinitup"]Norwich City Football Club is in a better place now than at any time in our history. Sure, there have been times in the past when we have a a few good seasons here and there but many more average/poor ones. Our owners must be credited with the success we now enjoy.Many clubs have paraded shiny new owners who have promised the earth and certainly, some have been successful. However when you look at clubs like Leeds, Coventry, Portsmouth, Blackpool, Cardiff etc, you realise these "investors" can be very hit or miss.I think the club is in very good hands and long may it remain so. In the words of the old song.......[8] You don'' know what you''ve got, until you lose it....[8] [/quote]

Agree totally.  Some people just seem to want to permanently try and rock the boat, or they appear to have some obessive dislike of anything the club does.   The club isn''t immune to criticism, but there is a limit to it - and to continually complain about lack of progress is frankly ridiculous.   Football is a series of ups and downs, always has been, always will be - we''ve had more ups than downs over the years - last season being one of the best for goals, excitement and drama we have ever seen.  There is a saying in football that you are only as good as your last performance - well in our case - that has to be the best ever.   So if that isn''t progress, I don''t know what is.

[/quote]
Pretty much all of this. Even Vintage''s new angle of criticism (the style of play) is pretty mute when we''ve changed styles throughout different manager just like 99% of clubs over the past 20 years have.

Progress would be if Norwich can establish themselves as a Premier League team.

If we stay in the premier league for the next 5 / 10 years that would be progress - getting relegated in 2 / 3 years time would not be progress - because we have done that already. We need try and build a team that can finish in the top 10 of the premier league like Palace & Swansea & Southampton have done.

We need to move beyond being a club that just fights relegation - we need to push for European football - which we haven''t had since 1993-94...

Real progress would be if we won the League Cup or FA Cup. Yes we have had promotions in recent years - but we haven''t won the FA Cup in our history and we haven''t won the League Cup since 1985.

We certainly aren''t making much progress in signing a left back / right back / left winger / striker / centre back the transfer market and if we continue to refuse to offer clubs enough money for their players then we won''t sign anyone like has been the case with Brady...

I''ve been hoping for a few years that Delia''s plan is ultimately to leave the club to the fans so that it can be run similarly to the Green Bay Packers. Probably unrealistic but the stated goal of running a self sustaining, debt free club would fit this well.

Yes let''s get one of the finest business brains in to run our club. That lot down the road have one and look at the success they are having. We can only dream!!!

Either the op isn''t old enough to remember how bad things can get or has very selective memory. IMO our club is one of the best run currently in the country, yet some would gamble in the desire to see a QPResque spunking of the cash.

Spot on Newton.

Time for a change of owners if we are to move forward.

Chronic lack of transfer activity shows Smith & Jones'' old oxy-moron strategy ''prudence with ambition'' is still alive and kicking, unlike our survival prospects under them.

[quote user="ruthers1"]Spot on Newton.

Time for a change of owners if we are to move forward.

Chronic lack of transfer activity shows Smith & Jones'' old oxy-moron strategy ''prudence with ambition'' is still alive and kicking, unlike our survival prospects under them.[/quote]

There''s not a lot wrong with the way the club is run and the sooner you realise this the better it will be for us all. Go to other parts of the country and talk to supporters, they would give thier right arms to be in our position.