Sign in to follow this  
Katie Borkins

Robert Chase

What a guy, lead us to the best of times, great managers, Europe and a real gent. What a model owner and a sham the current cook can''t follow such philosophy.

Light the fuse sit back and queue Nutty and his merry men 😀😉

Big Bob

Big Bob

Big bad bob

Ev''ry mornin'' down Trowse you could see him arrive

He stood five foot six and weighed two forty five

Kinda broad at the shoulder and broader at the hip

And everybody knew, ya didn''t give no lip to Big Bob

(Big Bob, Big Bob)

Big Bad Bob

(Big Bob)

Why is it when one person starts a stupid $hit post on here, the effect is imitation rather than derision? 
Starting more threads that are almost identical isn''t witty, or funny, it''s just irritating.
This poor form of "wit" is below you Bor, you''re better than this.

Boooo your just moaning for the sake of moaning.....this is a great thread City related, well done Bor.😛

I''ve taken my computer game "Forum Manager" off the market in the hopes that SDP will auction a days moderating duties each week with the proceeds going to EACH. Could be a money spinner.....

[quote user="lappinitup"]

Big Bob

Big Bob

Big bad bob

Ev''ry mornin'' down Trowse you could see him arrive

He stood five foot six and weighed two forty five

Kinda broad at the shoulder and broader at the hip

And everybody knew, ya didn''t give no lip to Big Bob

(Big Bob, Big Bob)

Big Bad Bob

(Big Bob)

[/quote]To be fair the last time I saw him one evening outside the Theatre Royal a couple of years ago he cut a decidedly svelte figure.Still bad maybe but not so big.....

5th, 4th, and 3rd in the top flight... 2 FA cup Semi Finals, a league cup quarter final.
Paid for and constructed Colney, purchased all the land around the ground the club now makes money from (Carrow park, the flats, etc)
Redeveloped the Barclay... 
was chairman during the clubs greatest moments in Europe... 1 single relegation...
Delia on the other hand...
*wait for it...*

And a jolly old fellow too Jas 😊, bleeds yellow and was hounded out by the minority''s who couldn''t see the bigger picture. Just needed a little more time.

I was young at the time, and it''s hard to get any info using google - but what exactly happened Autumn 1985 when the entire board resigned and Chase came in?

Was it part of his doing? I know it''s related to the rebuilding of the City Stand, and i know he''s a buildings man - so guessing there may have been some ploy to get himself in to power?

I really don''t know the facts though - anyone shed any light? It seems such a pivotal moment in our history, but doesn''t seem to be any details on it.

[quote user="Google Bot"]I was young at the time, and it''s hard to get any info using google - but what exactly happened Autumn 1985 when the entire board resigned and Chase came in?

Was it part of his doing? I know it''s related to the rebuilding of the City Stand, and i know he''s a buildings man - so guessing there may have been some ploy to get himself in to power?

I really don''t know the facts though - anyone shed any light? It seems such a pivotal moment in our history, but doesn''t seem to be any details on it.[/quote]
I''m sure one of the posters around back then can shed some light.
Nutty? Lapps?

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how old Robert Chase is now? He must be getting on a bit...

I doubt you''ll find too many real facts, it will all be opinions, as with the end of his regime.

You can''t doubt that we had a decent spell with him as chairman, but IMO that was far more to do with those managing the playing side - it was certainly a lot easier for ''smaller'' clubs to break through for a short period in those days, and our idea of buying cheap, bringing on and selling for a profit worked for a while: we had a good series of managers who coped well with it, and the big clubs didn''t have the power they now have.

We certainly got relegated at a point that, at the time, was the worst ever season to go down in terms of missing the £ boat, and the whole ethos of buying and selling at a profit kind of ran out of steam/the luck that you inevitably need.

Top bloke - misunderstood by thickos - did some sterling business for the club - ended in tears like it always does.

We''ve made no more progress than we would have otherwise made since Chase left. Like the fall of communism it''s replacement is something worse.Fans are perhaps more out of the loop than back then. We''re represented by an apolitical, uncritical fan group that doesn''t want to protest or rock the boat.The local media are somewhat less critical now since the club has them in their pocket. Can we expect Mike Liggins to grill Delia on TV like he did Chase? Never in a month of Sundays.The truth is the fans are just consumers serving the owners. All of what is done could be done by the fans.

I''m not sure that I will ever forgive him for the Wimbledon at home game. we had Rob Newman up front, while Efan Ekoku was allowed to play against us and scored their winner.

We never recovered from that defeat and the rest, as they say , is history.

I''m sure he thought he was doing things in the best interests of the club, but I feel that he understood buildings and land better than the need for a strong squad.

It really was the worst time to get relegated.

John Deehan was a great servant to this club, but he looked like a startled rabbit when he moved to the back of the main stand towards the end of the match.

"I''m sure he thought he was doing things in the best interests of the club, but I feel that he understood buildings and land better than the need for a strong squad."

Very true.

He seemed so utterly clueless about footballers and sold of some of the best players that we have ever had and reduced us to a position of weakness.

Result, demotion.

Consequences: even more financial pressure in the end and missing out on the start of the big bucks.

I felt very sorry for John Deehan, he never had a chance.

Blimey there is some ill informed guff on this thread. What is needed is Crafty and The Butler with FACTS !  [:P]

Hounded out by the minority should read Barclays Bank causing the fire sale of Newsome and Ward for starters.

The City Stand fire happened before he was even on the board.

Need I go on ?

Hounded out by a minority? I''d not read that bit - that''s clearly either someone who wasn''t there or has re-written things in their head. I''m in my 40s and have been a regular since the early 80s and it was the worst atmosphere/time I ever recall, including Worthy et al, and was in the days before the internet where these things can be far more orchestrated.

[quote user="Google Bot"]I was young at the time, and it''s hard to get any info using google - but what exactly happened Autumn 1985 when the entire board resigned and Chase came in?

I really don''t know the facts though - anyone shed any light? It seems such a pivotal moment in our history, but doesn''t seem to be any details on it.[/quote]Other may know better, but as I understand it there was a dispute over the awarding of the rebuilding contract to RG Carter, because Arthur South, the chairman, was (I think) married to a Carter. The implication was that either the contract had never been put out to open tender or in any event it was all a foregone conclusion. There was, from memory, at least some kind of bureaucratic error that could be - and was- seized upon.Either way Chase''s company (which may or may not have had a cat in hell''s chance) didn''t get the contract, and - justified or not - there was the perception of nepotism. How much Chase parlayed that perception I don''t know, but the end result was that South and the rest of the board resigned and Chase took over. If it was a coup by Chase then the irony was that he fell victim himself to what some here regard as an unscrupulous manoeuvre years later.