Sign in to follow this  
NWC

Barry Banan

According to the telegraph and Mirror, we are rivaling Derby and Bolton with attempts to buy Barry Banan from palace. He didn''t travel with the rest of the palace team for their tour of south africa.Another average midfielder - surely no better than we have already, and not much better than their squad replacements.

Yes this would be a pointless signing - Barry Bannan plays as a central midfielder according to wiki. We certainly don''t need any more central midfielders as we have enough already. More of a priority is signing a left back & right back & centre back & striker - but at the minute we doesn''t like anybody will have signed by Saturday August 8th at the rate we are bloody going at!!! Its so pathetic that we have only signed two players!! You need more than two new signings to improve a team!!

Hope this is just paper talk, really not going to add to the quality.

Still as said we aren''t Liverpool or Arsenal, so the players we can attract might just be the Banan''s out there.

We''ve got Mulumbu, Dorrans, Wes, Howson, Johnson, Tettey, Oneil, Vadis and Thompson all competing for a place in central midfield.

Just lazy journalism.

I''m fairly sure Bannan has been known to play left mid and left back in recent times.

god help us, if we announce Barry Bannan as our next signing the Pinkun Forum will need to be placed on suicide watch.

Already 2x West Brom cast-offs, and now a Crystal Palace cast-off? I sincerely hope not.

Mark my words, Peter Grant MkII, too much Scottish influence, and in danger of becoming an ''old boys club''.

quite young at 25 and maybe he''ll like Norwich as they have a 50/50 kit much like Crystal Palace''s dual colour kit

Not suggesting Bannan would be good or bad, I don''t know, but signing players from PL sides is hardly getting ''cast offs''....particularly when on another thread you suggest signing Borini, who would fall under the same category as Dorrans.

Unwanted by lower Premier League sides. Mulumbu was let go (unwanted). They were happy to let Dorrans go out on loan, with the initial plan to sell him in January (unwanted). Now Banan has been left off the CP plane to their pre-season tour, i.e.(unwanted).

Borini did well last season, it''s just a case of L''pools sudden spending spree, and that they are competing at the top of the league, that he will not see much game time this season. I would rate him as a solid mid-table forward, which is the player standard we should be aiming at (not cast offs from directly competing lower table teams).

WB CP and NC will all be scrapping at the bottom.

Just my opinion. Obviously I hope Dorrans and Mulumbu prove to be an asset, but so far what I''ve seen of Dorrans doesn''t excite.

if westbrom resigned mulumbu for the extra years it would have cost them about 3m in wages plus any contract addons

seems like a lot of money to pay out if you only plan to use him from the bench now and then

Mulumbu scored more Premier League goals than Borini last season.

Would you rather have the 1 in 12 of "mid-table forward" Borini, who played for a top team ahead of exquisite players, or the 15 in 36 of "lower league non-hoper" Grant Holt?

Anyone who bases their opinion on who a player has played for rather than what they can do should probably open their eyes a little.

According to a WBA season ticket holder I know, Mulumbu was their best midfielder for the first half of last season, then Pulis rocks up and doenst fancy him.

His view was he was in the running for player of the year upto that point.  WBA fans loved him so he was certainly no washed up cast off and has plenty to offer us.  A top signing imho.

Bannan however is no upgrade on anything we already have, I just dont see where he fits in.

Champs is probably his level, hence two clubs being linked with him.  Seems strange we are thrown in the mix tho''

Midfield is the strongest part of our squad. To bring anyone else in here they would have to be a first choice starter so underwhelmed if not amazed by this speculation. I agree championship is probably his most probable stop

If this is the kind of player we are linked with now, I''d rather have us not signing anyone at all... :-(

Jeez what a frustrating window it is becoming

I don''t quite get the ''hate-in'' for this guy - it is odd how people take against a certain player, when I would have thought we generally don''t know a great deal about him: that''s certainly the case for me!

I certainly don''t think we need any more bodies in central m/f, but I thought he played (or can play) on the left? I''d probably agree that I''d hope for better (whatever that is), but if he was what AN thinks we need then who are we to argue? There''s any number of players we''ve signed to little fanfare who have turned out pretty well - Grant Holt was derided as a ''lower league journeyman'' by many and came off ok.

I think it''s just frustration Branston, I''ve seen Branan a few times and looks a poor player at this level and not a player to add quality, our youngsters are better!

But we are now looking at the Z list after all priority targets appear to have been missed for whatever reasons.