Sign in to follow this  
Haggerdoo

Boro bid £14m for Jordan Rhodes

I''m not saying he''s worth it but...

If his goals help them out of the league, which his stats back up he will get 15+ then he''s worth every penny.

Prices seem to be going up, using the mings transfer as a measure. I don''t agree with it but it''s fact. New TV deal next year so expect even more then. Agents have already came out saying that they will be going for the same uplift in players wages.

Either conform or get left behind. Bargains? Gone are the days of getting an Ian Crook for £80k or a Holt for £500k.

Boro doing better business than us. Downing & Rhodes would be amazing signings at that level. Would be amazing signings for us. But we won''t be spending that sort of money.

Hahahaha! £14m indeed... Utter madness! I believe Alex''s training fitness drills, in military style organised fashion will have a far greater impact on the season ahead than any silly £14m purchase likes this. AN''s thoroughness with preparation, tactics is really impressive. We are very fortunate. Such a ludicrous transfer surely inflates the rest of the market. I resign myself that £7-8m will be necessary to achieve any transfer of value to our squad this pre-season, if we decide to contribute to a remarkable transfer window.

Exactly Oh Cameron they can spend that money in the championship and still comply with financial fair play.

Makes our dealings even more suspicious.

McNally Out Falkner in

I know that you could say this is an investment, but spending such amounts, whether in the Championship to go up, or the EPL to stay up is a risk, and looks pretty silly if you fail.

There will be a crash one day, when Sky tire of screening so much of the fourth best league in Europe.

Well his goals did get Blackburn out of that league didn''t they... Oh wait. £14m is absolutely absurd for Rhodes. I hope we don''t try jump on this one. Charlie Austin is available for that and proven in the premiership.

Can''t just expect his goals to get blackburn up. Daryl Murphy was top scorer in the champ and they didn''t get promoted. So ludricous point.

[quote user="Sir Anthony Blunt"]Exactly Oh Cameron they can spend that money in the championship and still comply with financial fair play. Makes our dealings even more suspicious. McNally Out Falkner in[/quote]

How Sir can they spend £19mil on two players and still comply with FFP? I would suggest that something very dodgy is going on if that is the case, it''snot like they have parachute payments or have sold anyone for a lot of money. In fact I would go so far as to say if they can afford that we should have kept our gate receipts from the playoff final instead of helping them over inflate the transfer market like this!

[quote user="Oh Cameron Jeroooooooome"]Boro doing better business than us. Downing & Rhodes would be amazing signings at that level. Would be amazing signings for us. But we won''t be spending that sort of money.[/quote]19 million on these two players is good business? If we wanted Downing he would be here right now, staying in the Premiership is a huge card to play. Is transfer business successful if you spend loads? so Liverpool were really successful when spending 35 million on Carroll? They spent loads so it must have been successful right?

[quote user="Oh Cameron Jeroooooooome"]Haven''t ffp rules been relaxed a little bit.[/quote]

Unless the situation has changed since November (when they voted to relax them initially) then the current rules are in place until the start of the 2016/17 season. Even then:

"Championship clubs will have their financial performance continuously monitored over a three season timeframe and will be permitted to lose up to £15m during that period without having to be prescriptive over how that loss will be funded.  In addition, they will be permitted to lose more than £15m, but not more than an aggregate of £39m (compared to an equivalent figure of £105m in the Premier League) but will be subject to additional regulation when doing so.  This will include providing evidence of Secure Owner Funding and Future Financial Information for the two seasons ahead. "

I suspect that Middlesborough are making a two fold gamble, that they will get promoted next year and that QPR''s legal challenge over the FFP rules is succesful...

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Gone are the days of getting an Ian Crook for £80k or a Holt for £500k.[/quote]What would Holt be worth in today''s money?

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Gone are the days of getting an Ian Crook for £80k or a Holt for £500k.[/quote]What would Holt be worth in today''s money?[/quote]Makes you wonder , thing is in the here and now 2 or 3 million does not come close to buying a top Champs player yet we are trying to get in top flight players for around that price .If we want Brady and it seems we do £8 million is nothing in todays market .

[quote user="93vintage"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Gone are the days of getting an Ian Crook for £80k or a Holt for £500k.[/quote]What would Holt be worth in today''s money?[/quote]

A similar price in the same situation when a league 1 club is buying from a league 2 club. Although the Prem is a wash with money its not filtered down to leagues 1 & 2.

My main thought is that if they have this sort of ££ to splash, perhaps we shouldn''t have given them our share of the play-off loot - seems we need it more!

According to the Middlesbrough Gazette the asking price is £12m, and Middlesbrough are trying to talk Blackburn down from that figure.

[quote user="mre2"][quote user="93vintage"][quote user="can u sit down please"]Gone are the days of getting an Ian Crook for £80k or a Holt for £500k.[/quote]What would Holt be worth in today''s money?[/quote]

A similar price in the same situation when a league 1 club is buying from a league 2 club. Although the Prem is a wash with money its not filtered down to leagues 1 & 2.[/quote]I think you''re right there, at least to an extent, so I''d say it''s still worth buying from the lower leagues because you''re avoiding the froth in prices.Premier League transfer price inflation over the last 5 years ought to approximately follow the TV revenues, assuming a relatively static supply of players. There are two 70% increases between each period and a 190% increase over two periods.If a new TV deal is known a year in advance, then prices will tend to respond upon announcement and filter through fairly quickly. But Maybe you can use the above percentages to assess what equivalent fees for certain players would have been in the past, a rough fag packet way to assess value.Jordan Rhodes at £14m today is theoretically ''worth'' £8.25m in say 2014 and £4.8m in 2011. For Robbie Brady, £9m would be equivalent to sums of £5.3m and £3.1m, but remember that he''s only got a year left on his Hull contract.[img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/10/258B5BAE00000578-2947293-image-a-1_1423593931594.jpg[/img]

Sky sports saying £12m got rejected due to them being in the same division.

£12m would be accepted from a prem side.

Is a bit high but what you would expect from someone who has scored plenty of goals consistently. Reminds me a bit of ashton (not his style) but how he scored goals at a lower level and got linked to much bigger/premier league clubs for a few years but no one seemed to take the gamble. Until we took that risk for what now is such a small fee.

How much would have ashton been worth in this day and age I wonder.

£12m for the player not eventhe best striker at his club is ludicrous.    Boro have signed quality in Downing for £5m and could easily be their hux;  as a club they are clearly splashing the cash based on next years premier bonanza windfall - and given the strength of the league and their solid defence its a reasonable calculated gamble to take I guess.     

Does it fit with FFP otherwise the lot down the road will be quick to have a bleat.. 

........plus, Zipper, the smugness they showed at times at Wembley will have been a bit chastening and I would reckon that getting that close will mean Gibson will throw everything at it while he can and sort out their powder puff attack to match a decent backline and midfield. But not sure why Blackburn would sell to a major rival, they will want promotion just as much

[quote user="93vintage"]I think you''re right there, at least to an extent, so I''d say it''s still worth buying from the lower leagues because you''re avoiding the froth in prices.Premier League transfer price inflation over the last 5 years ought to approximately follow the TV revenues, assuming a relatively static supply of players. There are two 70% increases between each period and a 190% increase over two periods.If a new TV deal is known a year in advance, then prices will tend to respond upon announcement and filter through fairly quickly. But Maybe you can use the above percentages to assess what equivalent fees for certain players would have been in the past, a rough fag packet way to assess value.Jordan Rhodes at £14m today is theoretically ''worth'' £8.25m in say 2014 and £4.8m in 2011. For Robbie Brady, £9m would be equivalent to sums of £5.3m and £3.1m, but remember that he''s only got a year left on his Hull contract.[img]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/02/10/258B5BAE00000578-2947293-image-a-1_1423593931594.jpg[/img][/quote]

If a prem club goes in for a lower league player then the selling club is going to jack up the price as they know the buying club has money to burn, or at least in comparison to most L1&2 clubs. I think this is fine why shouldn''t they benefit a little from the riches of the premiership.

I''m sure there are players in the lower leagues that can step up like Holt, Lambert, Austin etc have done. The fact that there are so many foreign players in the premiership means the British talent have to ply their trade lower down the pyramid. The problem they have is they don''t get long to get established before fans start turning on them as they are viewed as cheap options and can''t be any good as they have come from a lower league club.

Imagine the comments from fans if the clubs goes out and buys a 27 year old striker from Shrewsbury now!

Whilst Holt, Lambert and Austin were successes in the Premier League - it isn''t like they were signed from League 2 clubs straight into the top flight. They all worked their way through the leagues beforehand.

If Norwich signed a 27 year old Holt tomorrow I would feel it was a waste of money, as the 27 year old Holt wasn''t good enough for the Premier League. He became good enough after a couple of seasons building up to it with Norwich and much higher quality of coaching and fitness.

It''s rare that a player can go straight from a League 1 or 2 club and have an impact in the Premier League.