Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Some credit to Neil Adams time.

Great to see Thompson coming on so well. Real bargain and allowing him to stay at Swindon last season did him the world of good. Might just be a little gem.

same with Cameron Jerome - a greta purchase.

Seems he was just inexperienced really as a manager for the kind of role needed for Norwich to push for promotion at the high end of the league.

I wonder if he will push onwards in his managerial career with lower clubs and work up or if he''ll stop there because he obviously has some talent with his FA Cup victory with the u21''s and early results with the senior side.

Agree, I think first appointment to take charge here with 5 games to go and then a high pressure assignment was too much for Adams, might do a great job lower league like Lambert started.

I think he will be a very good manager in time.

But yes some of his signings were good others well didn''t work out too well.

Lafferty was a difficult one to judge as he was never played in the position he did so well for Northern Ireland in... STRIKER.

Seems Adams needed a Left winger and for some reason bought him. Did Lafferty know this when he was bought?

Let''s hope Newton doesn''t see this, or it''ll quickly go pear-shaped!

I think there were various things Adams did ok - his transfer hit-rate wasn''t bad and he bought a few for the future - he wasn''t exactly lucky though and wasn''t to know VOO''s season would be such a write-off (when Lambert bought injured players, he seemed to drop lucky!) to the extent that he is as good a new player.

I would imagine they both had Medicaid/we took the same advice on both - can''t really blame Adams for that, it just didn''t work out for us and VOO last season.

more importantly than him being signed under adams tenure is who identified him and are they still with us?

The manager says yay or nay; its the scouting team that places the profiles and the strength of their recommendation under their noses...

That''s true Zipper and I assume given Adams was youth team manager he would have been aware of Thompson prior to him being manager, just an assumption on my behalf.

Still he made that call as manager and Thompson is developing into a heck of a player....early days yet.

Sorry but a "good" transfer record is not something i''d credit Adams with.

He bought in 3 defenders, Cuellar, Miquel and Hoiveld. None of which really featured despite Ryan Bennett spending 3/4 of the season injured and Bassong spending 1/2 the season out on loan. Hoiveld''s loan was cancelled, Cuellars been released, and Miquel still looks very much a dud.

In midfield he bought in Vadis, Oneil, Mcgrandles, Thompson and ultimately Lafferty. Oneil done the job when called upon, not bad for a free transfer I guess. Vadis spent the whole season injured and/or unfit, a trend in his career so far. Mcgrandles and Thompson are both with development squad, so I guess neither have shown enough to Neil. Lafferty was hit and miss, sent out loan by Neil and looks likely to depart in the not to distant future.

Upfront is the only real success story, Jerome and Grabban. Although not everybody seems to class Grabban as a "success".

So out of 10 signings we ended up with 2 players who really performed in Jerome and Grabban, and one decent squad player in Oneil. And maybe (just maybe) one for the future in the Swindon lad.

Who said anything about a good transfer record? Just that some of his signings were good!

Don''t get all upset, we''re not talking about the overall performance as it''s been discussed to death. Just making the point that Thompson looks to be a gem.

A gem? Bit early to call that one after a couple of pre season games isn''t it?

If he''s been impressing that much he''d be with the first team surely?

I think it was a good move as this means the youngsters get more game time. If he was with the first team he might not have had the impact he has, Swindon.

I believe he and the other youngsters don''t have to be included in the 25 man squad as they are under 21?

AN has already said about Thompson making a big impact this season.

Adams did much to encourage the club back into encouraging the development of young players. You only have to look at Southampton to see the benefits that can bring. Fortunately, AN has a similar attitude about bringing on young players. The Under21s had a good 2-1 win over Gaziantepspor, a top league Turkish side.

http://www.canaries.co.uk/news/article/gaziantepspor-norwich-city-under-21s-match-report-2568044.aspx

You''re right it probably is a good move.

But if he was currently in Neil''s first team plans he''d be with the first team. Just saying it''s bit a early to call him a gem.

Mcgheean said different.

The young players went from training with the first team under Hughton, to never being involved with the first team under Adams.

Stan, just said, might be a gem, given his performances and impact on AN, I think he''s right up there in AN plans.

Just seeing a positive and thankful Adams got him in.

Adams started excellently, but when things started going wrong I don''t think he had the experience to pull through.

Ultimately, the responsibility lays with those who put a talented rookie in a no-win situation. People expected us to get promoted and walk the league, so the expectation was enormous.

Some credit to Neil Adams time.

FFS I bet you were sad when Crossroads ended?!

The guy will never make it as a manager, at least not while I''ve got a hole in my ar*e and like Bryan Gunn should never have thought he was up to the job.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]Makes me wonder why Thompson was left behind to play in the U21''s he should have traveled with the first team.[/quote]

he was with the first team squad but has been sent over to the under 21 so more people can get game time

as for being left behind they are only a few miles down the road from each other

[quote user="ruthers1"]Some credit to Neil Adams time.

FFS I bet you were sad when Crossroads ended?!

The guy will never make it as a manager, at least not while I''ve got a hole in my ar*e and like Bryan Gunn should never have thought he was up to the job.[/quote]

That''s so funny, there were a number of Livingston fans saying the same about a certain manager a few years back.....couldn''t win a game to save his life at his first time of charge, what was his name? Paul Lambert I think, another manager you probably would have written off had you been a Livinston fan at the time. 😉

I thought Adams was coming back to the club in July?  Well its nearly the end of July....have I missed an announcement on him?

Neil Adams had a squad totally bereft of confidence following relegation and turned them into a confident looking side again, especially in them excellent few opening weeks of the season. He also managed to retain many key players. We also had the beginning of Johnson''s renaissance under Adams don''t forget, as well as the reintegration of Wes Hoolahan into the squad. Unfortunately it was his lack of experience that saw us struggle when things got tough.

Grabban and Jerome both proved excellent buys. Every manager, even the good ones make poor signings. Just look at the likes of Vaughan under Lambert.

While it didn''t work out, we have some things to be thankful for from Neil Adams. And the fact is he''s Nowich City through-and-through, thoroughly passionate about the Club and was in no way deserving of some of the nasty vitriol directed at him by some of our fans.

Regarding NA...

Too much too soon with a massive weight of expectation on his shoulders. Very few managers have managed to make that step up from managing the kids to a prem league team.

I hope he does well.

Where is he now, I thought he was due to return in a different role at the end of the season?

Regarding Thompson...

Looking like an inspired purchase, have a gut feeling that he will be important for us come the end of the season.

[quote user="clarkey1972"]

I thought Adams was coming back to the club in July?  Well its nearly the end of July....have I missed an announcement on him?

[/quote]

I''ve been wondering about his scheduled re-appointment too - where is he?...