Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Back four for Crystal Palace match?

As it stands and with Olsson not quite ready, it will likely to beE. Bennett Martin Bassong Whittaker                        or Whittaker Martin Bassong Toffolo

Unless there is another way of doing it......

for the umpteenth million time elliot bennett is not suitable to be a right back in the championship let alone the premier league, he might have done the job in some friendlies but in reality hes probably not going to even make the bench more than a dozen times this season. Hes an average winger at bestif olsson''s not fit Martin R.Bennett Bassong Whittaker

ideallyMartin Van Dijk Bassong Olsson

heres hoping olsson is fit, because if martin and whittaker are our best options then we are going to be up 5h1t creek when zaha and bolassie start running at them

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]So you''re saying Elliott Bennett isn''t good enough at right back based on what?[/quote]on that no ones ever played him there for any length of time! hes not a right back, if he was he would he would have played there regularly,  he doesnt have the physicality to do the job eitherlets think about this, the only time he had any sort of run in the first team was under lambert, and he sure as hell didnt score that goal at spurs as a full back, his biggest asset was his pace and im not even sure hes got that anymore because hes rubbish and cant get in the team.if hes not shipped out on loan or sold by january ill be very surprised

Ryan Bennett at this level you''re asking for trouble !

With what we''ve got it''ll have to be one of LDC''s options

Probably based on the fact that he''s been a winger his whole career and has only played there a few times as experiments,

The Bennett as starting right back right back meme should end.

Will probably have singed 1 or 2 defenders before the season starts. Wouldn''t be surprised to see..

Brady - Bassong - Martin - Whittaker

Or perhaps Whittaker out with a new CB in.

As things stand Lakey, I also see us lining up in one of those two ways.

Only defenders we have who will be any good at this level is Olsson and Bassong. Need right back and centre half.

Brady''s a left sided midfielder/winger rather than a fullback Keiran.

Would rather have Tuffolo there - at least we''d be playing a proper fullback.

We are going based on who we have at this current point.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Iron Stan will be proved completely wrong this season.[/quote]

No he won''t. Bassong and Martin Premier League quality? Yeh, right!

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"][quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Iron Stan will be proved completely wrong this season.[/quote]

No he won''t. Bassong and Martin Premier League quality? Yeh, right![/quote]Why are they not premier league quality? They have many PL games under their belt, would that not suggest that they have the ability at this level? Some player from the Scottish league with no PL experience but looks good on Championship Manager is a better option right now? I would suggest not

Whittaker and Martin , makes you shudder , our easier games are at the start of the season and we still have a defence that got opened up with ease in the Champs .

AN does not have defenders of the required quality at his disposal

Very thin at left back.

Needs sorting.

As much as I would like Elliott Bennett to be good enough at right back I''m afraid he won''t be.

He does not think like a defender and he does not see danger.

A quick look at the Maccabi Haifa goal will show this. He was only a yard away from being able to block the shot ........... but a yard away will be severely punished in the Premiership.

It''s a great shame because he is such a genuine person but, sadly, sentiment cannot come into it!

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Whittaker and Martin , makes you shudder , our easier games are at the start of the season and we still have a defence that got opened up with ease in the Champs .[/quote]

Not under AN it didn''t.  We let in very few goals once he got the team sorted out and got the players functioning properly.

Oh dear Bethnal, I think that''s the most depressing thing I''ve read on here all summer.

Crystal palace play with a lot of pace on each winger and strength in the middle of the park. Based on this logic I would play Elliott Bennett at Right Back and maybe even Toffolo at Left Back. Both of these players are fast and good at tracking back in a hurry when need be.

I can see why people are wetting themselves of EB at RB, but there really aren''t many better options. He is fast, he works hard and he actually has a good tackle in him.

We are not signing many players, and will likely have to start the season with what we have got.

I''m looking forward to the challenge.

Whittaker is a Scottish international and played a blinder or two in our run up to eventual promotion.

Martin is the current centre back in the Scotland team and Strachan has consistently preferred him to Berra, to the constant chagrin of those down the road. Martin has been prominent in the team under our last four managers and was eventually to be selected in the Championship player''s PoS team, no mean feat.

Those two form half of the recent Scotland back line which has consistently out-performed Scottish defences of recent years and contributed to the gradual improvement of the team on the international stage.

Bassong, at his best, is the pinnacle of our level, like it or not, and Michael Turner (who?) has his strengths.

YES, we do urgently need some class input in defence, but let''s not deride what we have because of this.

We can always improve upon what we have but that does not mean that our current bunch are as bad as some are now making out.

Also, Toffolo could well become a revelation this season. He is far the most advanced of our "Golden Generation," IMO, and some of the others are genuinely coming along nicely.

Lewis Esquire wrote the following post at 23/07/2015 1:45 PM:

Crystal palace play with a lot of pace on each winger and strength in the middle of the park. Based on this logic I would play Elliott Bennett at Right Back and maybe even Toffolo at Left Back. Both of these players are fast and good at tracking back in a hurry when need be.

I can see why people are wetting themselves of EB at RB, but there really aren''t many better options. He is fast, he works hard and he actually has a good tackle in him.

We are not signing many players, and will likely have to start the season with what we have got.

I''m looking forward to the challenge.

We shouldn''t be making do with players like EB at right back Lewis, we should be fully prepared entering into the first game with a back four we are confident can do the job, the time for makeshift has gone, we will be found out!

"...Ryan Bennett at this level you''re asking for trouble

With what we''ve got it''ll have to be one of LDC''s options..." - Six Pack

Couldn''t agree more with Six Pack when was the last time Ryan Bennett played in defence for Norwich and we kept a clean sheet? Same can be said for Michael Turner - he played a lot for us last season and made stupid mistakes which led to us conceding goals.

If either Turner or Ryan Bennett play for us in defence - Premier League teams will destroy us which is why Alex Neill needs to sign a quality centre back - because if Russell Martin or Bassong gets injured - our defence will be very vulnerable.