Sign in to follow this  
chicken

The Answer to the Francis Question

Damian Francis should he stay or should he go?

This is the question the club and the player are faced with at the moment. However as is usual in footballing situations like these it is not as simple as that.

The players agent and interested parties are trying to do all that they can to do what is best for them and not nessisarily the player or his club.

Worthington is doing the right thing and testing more than just Portsmouth. The last time we were in a situation similar to this was when the board said that there was no need to sell Craig Bellamy and that we did not need the money that desperately.

By the end of that summer Bellamy had been moved on for a very favourable fee. This time round a price has been staked out and it seems that neither the board or Worthington are prepared to reduce the demand.

Francis is a very good player, there is no doubt about that, but he is not nessisarily the best. If one of the squads better players was sold for less than he was valued at what message does that send to other clubs?

As of yet no bids have been recieved for Green, Huckerby and Ashton but should Francis be sold for a sum less than that first issued by the club it is likely other clubs will start throwing in offers for other players bellow our valuation. The result of which would be a great many players being unsettled rather than just one.

So far it seems the club has taken the best path of action and is standing firm against unacceptable bids that fall short of the price tag.

The only problem that the board may have to face now is what effect the whole saga will have on Francis. If it unsettles him it may be some time before we see a ready and focused Francis back to the player we loved a year ago.

The biggest barrier in a proposed route back to greatness would be the fans. So many posters on this site have come on to say that they are looking forward to seeing the player leave, or that he should not be allowed to wear yellow and green anymore.

Although this sage is incredibly frustrating, the last thing it needs is the fans getting involved in this way. The more people that voice their frustration during matches and other oppertunities, especially directing their attentions to the player himself, will only help Portsmouth by heaping on the pressure to sell him onto the board and Worthington.

The best thing that can be done is to support the player. That way should he stay the club will get the most out of him and we all know that could mean keeping one of the squads more promising players on the books especially one that is capable of scoring goals from deep. Should he leave under such circumstances the club is also more likely to secure a price more realistic to their valuation.

Again I think this is a test for the fans trust. Do the fans trust in Worthington and the board enough to support a player that needs support what-ever the outcome may be?

I for one fully trust Worthington and the board to deal with this situation in a proper manner. Worthington is not a man to give up easily and the board are in a position not to sell a player for silly prices especially when they are a key to re-gaining promotion.

At the same time Worthington has always maintained that he is not interested in keeping players at the club that do not want to be here. This is the most relevent comment at the moment as Worthington has not indicated that the player wants to leave and I am sure that he would not hide it if they did. Worthington it seems does not mince his words.

So in a summery get behind the player and the club as fans should do and help the squad prepare for the season ahead!

OTBC!

p.s. "Lets be ''aving you!"

chicken, you write a good note and I agree with the overall thrust of your note which is to trust Norwich management to do the right thing as far as the best interests of the club are concerned. However, I believe the weakness in your note is what you are asking the fans to do in supporting Francis. He''s not a child, he''s being paid good money to act like a professional and play to his potential whenever he puts on the Norwich shirt. A lot of people are of the opinion that he has not done that for the back part of last season and in the outings so far. With respect to whether it''s Francis or his agent that agitates the situation picked up on by the media, or that Francis would like to play Premiership football this coming season, these points are irrelevant. The man signed a 3 year contract last year, he is being paid good wages to play to his potential when he steps on the football pitch until our club receives a proposal that meets their need. In the view of a lot of fans, Francis is not living up to his end of that bargain. 

I find it amazing that players in their mid-twenties seem incapable of actually speaking themselves and can''t run their own careers. If I was a professional of sound mind then it would be common sense for me to negotiate the deal I was happy with rather than paying someone to do it for me.

There is one very important point here which I don''t think anyone else has raised.

This situation does not reflect well on the management of NCFC. It was clear to all and sundry that for the last third of last season Damien Francis was not motivated to play for the club. I know he wasn''t alone on THAT day at Craven Cottage but he was probably the worst culprit.

How on earth then do we find ourselves in a situation just over a week away from the start of the new season when the whole club should be focusing their efforts on ensuring a swift return to the Premiership yet, judging by the number of posts appearing on this subject, the club''s eye is being taken off the ball sorting out this mess. Who knows the effect this situation is having on the rest of the squad. 

The problem should have been resolved to a conclusion one way or the other within a week of the end of last season. It''s a type of discussion I have had many times with various members of my teams during years of management experience in industry. Some of those discussions have not been easy but that''s what I was paid a pittance to do and what the management at NCFC are paid very well to do. These problems very rarely magically disappear unless you sort them out and usually it is better done sooner rather than later. Sorry, but I''m afraid that in this world grown up men sometimes need to have grown up conversations with each other rather. 

These situations generally end in some common ground being reached. Obviously portsmouth are potless, and cant afford the extra few hundred k we want. In spite of selling Diomansy kamara. They are working in conjunction with the players agent to break our will and make us accept a low bid just to get the situation resolved. In all probability a deal will be struck with add ons and caveats pertaining to appearances, performances etc. So that Doncaster can quote the WHOLE sum after all considerations, and portmouth can claim the smaller, first down payment. He wants to go, he has to go. Unfortunately for him and for us, portsmouth appear the only club interested. Francis conduct is appalling and he is stinking out the club. But we must hold out for the remuneration that we require and not be bullied by the south coast giant that is portsmouth football club.

I think its very difficult to equate football management issues with industry management issues. In what other industry do you get uneducated and unintelligent individuals earning so much money, with agents able to wield so much power? Francis is acting in a childish manner because of his lack of education, his agent is manipulating him for his own gain. His agent is telling Francis that he can get Premiership footie this season, but unfortunately nobody is telling him that you should work for things in life they don''t get handed to you on a plate. If he had worked a bit harder earlier in the year, perhaps he would still be a Premiersip player, wit us.

How can Francis speak for himself when he can''t construct a sentance?  

I can''t see any way that the fans will support Francis now. Most fans would love to be in Francis'' position, earning so much for doing what you love, and won''t forgive his petulant and lazy displays. And why should they? Fans spend a small fortune following their club, they deserve better than the effort Francis puts in. Its always the fans that suffer most, asking them for forgive this latest insult is too much.

Whilst I would love to see Francis rot in the reserves, the best route for the club is to off-load him ASAP for as much cash as possible. He is now a poison in the club and must be removed - I partly blame the situation for our bad pre-season form. However, getting money near our valuation is a difficult balancing act. However much we trust Worthy and the board, we aren''t holding the trump cards and I expect he will go cheaper than we would like. But at least he will be gone. I can''t see what the club could have done earlier to prevent this situation.

Its high time that FIFA/UEFA/FA started to properly control agents. This situation happens way too often in modern football.

[quote]These situations generally end in some common ground being reached. Obviously portsmouth are potless, and cant afford the extra few hundred k we want. In spite of selling Diomansy kamara. They are wor...[/quote]

Kamara was still owned by Modena so the small fee for him did not arrive at Pompey and their lack of cash may explain why they have not yet come up with a half decent bid for him...

I am sure he will go - but current rumours of a £750k -> £1.2m offer are almost insulting.

OTBC