Sign in to follow this  
Thetford Yellow

British players

Robbie Brady £8m.

Steven Berghuis £4.6m.

Nothing says more about why our obsession with UK players will be our undoing - both in the short and long term.

Well considered and literate responses only please

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Nothing says more about why our obsession with UK players will be our undoing[/quote]I thought you had several Irish players binboy.......

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Robbie Brady £8m.

Steven Berghuis £4.6m.

Nothing says more about why our obsession with UK players will be our undoing - both in the short and long term.

Well considered and literate responses only please[/quote]Robbie Brady is a well considered purchase, fits in with the work ethic and the kind of player AN obviously wants - and in a particular position that we need cover/competition for. 

Couldn''t care less what other clubs do.

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Robbie Brady £8m.

Steven Berghuis £4.6m.

Well considered and literate responses only please[/quote]The difference in price might be something to do with having decent Premiership experience already. Steven Berghuis has never left Holland, he might find it hard to settle here, many have had that issue.  Steven Berghuis may be brilliant and take this division by storm, then again how many ''good value'' players from the lesser leagues in Europe have flopped and we''ve just forgotten about? It''s not an obsession it''s in my mind limiting the risk of failure. When we''ve diverted from this British core we''ve not done so well have we?

[quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Robbie Brady £8m. Steven Berghuis £4.6m. Nothing says more about why our obsession with UK players will be our undoing - both in the short and long term. Well considered and literate responses only please[/quote]

£8 million for a current full international with 13 caps and two years Premier League experience.

£4.6 million for someone with 3 Under 21 caps in 2012 and nothing since who has no Premier League experience.

How do you come to the opinion Watford have the better deal ?

I have seen Brady play on only the odd occasion albeit mostly on the TV and have never seen Berghuis even on the telly. I take it you have followed the Dutchman''s career and watched him in action to make your considered judgement ?

The OP has a good point. We''re doing a lot of work and spending a lot of

money on buying average British-based players, but not enough time or

money is being spent on recruiting more talented Europeans. Having PL experience could even be seen as problem.We''re told that British-based players fit in better with the style we play. But if we played a more continent style of football then that situation would be reversed, ie players coming from Europe would fit in more easily.

by your logic RVW would be world class and we would be silly to get rid

agree with the rest of the people above might be proven wrong but Fer has scared me off dutch league players for a little while

and why did you need two threads the same

[quote user="93vintage"]The OP has a good point. We''re doing a lot of work and spending a lot of

money is being spent on recruiting more talented Europeans. Having PL experience could even be seen as problem.We''re told that British-based players fit in better with the style we play. But if we played a more continent style of football then that situation would be reversed, ie players coming from Europe would fit in more easily.[/quote]

I''m not sure if you mean continence or continental style of football (whatever that is).. Either way, having read your words of wisdom, I nearly pi***d myself.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Thetford Yellow"]Nothing says more about why our obsession with UK players will be our undoing[/quote]I thought you had several Irish players binboy.......

[/quote]

Yea Binboy....Chuckle

Brady solves a problem position for us with some options too.

Berghuis is a prospect but a different type of player who can play either flank and in the wessi role too;   whether he is up to the prem is another matter.   

With Olsson recovering from injury and only BJ on the left brady provides us with a little more certainty of performance,  especially in the early games than Berghuis,  who may have been more attractive to us if we had half a season to allow him to bed in.     I think he will be the best of watfords buys in time.

As for Fer, he would not put me off Dutch players at all,  he was out most influential central midfielder and we only won one game without him that season.  He was inconsistent, as he came to terms with the faster pace of english football,  but he was an effective box to box player who did not recover post injury to the same level and the season was already lost.     Not all players from the dutch league are of his quality,  some are better (suarez for example) and most,  like berghuis,  are not quite his level;   but my fer experience would encourage us to continue to find the right player.     

[quote user="93vintage"]The OP has a good point. We''re doing a lot of work and spending a lot of

money is being spent on recruiting more talented Europeans. Having PL experience could even be seen as problem.We''re told that British-based players fit in better with the style we play. But if we played a more continent style of football then that situation would be reversed, ie players coming from Europe would fit in more easily.[/quote]
He doesn''t have a point, and neither do you. Of course, if we played a more European style of football of course they''d stand a better chance of fitting in (albeit still less likely than someone who''s just spent a couple seasons in the Prem). The fact is, we don''t, and therefore your point is irrelevant.
Watford hardly play in a different way to us.

It''s £7m isn''t it but perhaps the best plan would be to see how they both perform this season (and beyond) before judging which is the better business. Yes you pay a premium for British and Irish players but Brady could well be fantastic and Berghuis completely ineffective.

Wise words from the OP we clearly are clueless in the scouting department and the furthest we looked was Lincolnshire

Very concerning

It doesn''t matter what a players nationality is. It''s about quality and price.

As has been pointed out we will know what we will get from Brady as he has already produced in the Premier league where as Berghuis is an unknown quantity. Nobody really knows if he will replicate his form over here or not. RVW is a perfect case in point.

That''s why there is a premium on young British players and it''s up to the buying club if they feel that certainty is worth the extra.

Also the highest fee I''ve heard reported for Brady is £7m. Upping the fee to try and prove a non-existent point proves you''re on a wind up and not to be taken seriously.

McNally should be congratulated on another superb piece of business, if other clubs want to waste money sending scouts on jolly boys trips around Europe then more fool them.

Our scouting department demonstrates that these days you can travel the world without leaving your sofa and still get excellent results.

All of our acquisition this summer have quality.