Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Best centre back pairing we've ever had?

Since they were brought together under AN - only 17 goals conceded  - in 24 matches  (RM was RB v Brentford)Over a whole season, that would have been maybe only 33-34 goals conceded.  Bn''mth let in 45, Watford 48. To have been that mean as a defence, they must be doing something very right. 

So, a top pairing for us, both with good premiership experience, under a manager who gets the best out of his players.

What''s not to like? 

The problem is if one of them gets long term injured we are screwed.

Another example of McNasty not investing is threatening our season

When I first started going it was Dave Stringer & Duncan Forbes.Later it was Dave Watson & Steve Bruce although I seem to remember that anyone who played along side Mike Phelan also did well.

Sorry ldc but that pairing is not ideal.

Russell Martin is still learning the position, he will learn a lot if he plays centre half in the prem as he will be turned a lot

Bad songs record in the prem speaks for itself yet he is our best centre half even admitted by senior players so you have to go better than what you have.

For me in an ideal world I would have a new starter in place of RM and another to compete with bassong who is equal to the levels of bassong.

As mentioned if injuries or suspensions come in having bassong or another at his level to step in will help our survival status. If not our defence will be weak in this division

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]When I first started going it was Dave Stringer & Duncan Forbes.Later it was Dave Watson & Steve Bruce although I seem to remember that anyone who played along side Mike Phelan also did well.[/quote]

Me too.  I wasn''t trying to dis any of our other great players, but I was talking really about statistics and the fact that RM and SB let in so few goals once they were put together last season.  

Watson and Bruce, at the highest level.

Conceding goals as a measure of CB success is not a reliable measure. The defensive midfielder deserves equal credit and the full backs must also be considered. Oh, and Ruddy.

Another good subject to discuss.

I like both Bass and Martin as players and they do form a decent partnership.

However, the secret of the recent success is I feel down to the management getting the players to work harder across the team on their defensive duties. Previously our back four was left exposed a lot and even the best CB''s will get turned when they have fast players running at them more often than they should.

AS for going back in time, I remember Phelan as a midfield player, but was always impressed by Stringer and Forbes and we have had many good CB''s since.

Always a fan of Polston so a Polston and Butterworth partnership for me, would not claim they were the best but always a pairing I liked.

Watson and Bruce both went on to have very successful careers at much bigger clubs, so I would agree they were the best we had that I''m aware of.

Maybe some of the even older posters could put me right though.

We''ve had some excellent CB pairings over the years but the best without a doubt was the Doc and Nelson. [Y]

The league one relegation season was a prime example of this. Our centre back pairing was cut hopelessly adrift by Otsemobor and Fotheringham and Russell, leaving us brutally exposed time and time again. I rated the Doc and thought he was a decent CB but all his flaws were horribly exposed when repeatedly one on one wih pacy attackers.

Although neither were amongst my favourites I think Butterworth and Linighan were the best pairing I''ve ever known.

Watson and Bruce only played together in the top division once in a season in which we were relegated...so that would slightly blot that partnership''s copybook for me.

Linighan and Butterworth were as good as anything around in the late 80''s /early 90''s

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Although neither were amongst my favourites I think Butterworth and Linighan were the best pairing I''ve ever known.[/quote]

Good shout Nigel, looks like I''m going to be compiling a very long list. [:)]

[quote user="Bor Bor Bor"]Watson and Bruce, at the highest level.

Conceding goals as a measure of CB success is not a reliable measure. The defensive midfielder deserves equal credit and the full backs must also be considered. Oh, and Ruddy.[/quote]

No doubt Watson & Bruce, what a great pairing.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Watson and Bruce only played together in the top division once in a season in which we were relegated...so that would slightly blot that partnership''s copybook for me.

Linighan and Butterworth were as good as anything around in the late 80''s /early 90''s[/quote]Though both Watson and Bruce were both out injured for quite a few games at the end of that season which was a primary reason we got relegated.I seem to remember Greg Downs having to fill in at centre half.

[quote user="whoareyou"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]Watson and Bruce only played together in the top division once in a season in which we were relegated...so that would slightly blot that partnership''s copybook for me.

Linighan and Butterworth were as good as anything around in the late 80''s /early 90''s[/quote]Though both Watson and Bruce were both out injured for quite a few games at the end of that season which was a primary reason we got relegated.I seem to remember Greg Downs having to fill in at centre half.[/quote]

not as far as I recall??.....and stats would appear to back that up....in a 42 game season, both Bruce and Watson started 39 games.

I afraid everyone was just caught up in the generally complacency that surrounded the club after winning the Milk Cup

as I said they only played together for 2 seasons at Norwich, this one and the one that followed when we won Division 2 where both those two together with Chris Woods spent most games with a cigar on....and all 3 of them would probably recount that season as the easiest in their careers.

as indiuviduals , they were probably the best central defenders we''ve had, Watson for mostly before and up to ''85, and Bruce 85'' and afterwards, after Watson left......but as a pairing ,the stats dont back that up?.

Butterworth and Linighan still for me.

Mackay and Fleming deserve a mention. I still rate bassong as the best in my lifetime though. Really relieved AN brought him out of exile. We went from 11th in the prem to 11th in the champs in his absence.

RM at CB is growing on me as well.

In my lifetime it was Mackay and Fleming but appreciate they never played together at the top level.

The problem I have with the current duo is both are prone to switching off at least once a game, particularly when it comes to clearing the ball. Both the goal and the great double save from Ruddy in the play-off first leg came from poor clearances by Martin and the Boro effort off the bar (great strike though it was) came from Bassong trying to clear the ball with no idea who was behind him. These mistakes get punished more in the top league.

Bassong and Turner worked well together in the first season under Hughton due to the fact they complemented each other- Turner played well on instinct and was positionally smart while Bassong was able to cover for Turners lack of pace and poor distribution. I think Turner is now too slow and Bennett is so injury prone (and also quite slow) that Martin and Seb is the best pairing right now but it could be improved on. Someone with positional instinct and brains to cut down on the errors.

[quote user="A Load of Squit"]When I first started going it was Dave Stringer & Duncan Forbes.Later it was Dave Watson & Steve Bruce although I seem to remember that anyone who played along side Mike Phelan also did well.

[/quote]

Mike phelan didn''t play centre half? I may have read what you have written incorrectly but phelan was a midfielder, may have played centre half on very odd occasions?

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]Malky and Flem are best in recent years, unfortunately Malky was let go when we won promotion and we didn''t get to see him at the top level.[/quote]

I thought Matt Jackson offered more as a player than Malky, he certainly used the ball better but something happened behind the scenes and he departed to Wigan.

What Malky lacked in pace and skill he made up for in blood and guts as well as organising. Definite heart on your sleeve type of player but I very much doubt he would have done well in the prem really. Anyone with a tad of pace would expose him and his distribution was no more than average.

That whole period from 85-93 was very strong for us in term sof centre backs.   For me Polston & Butterworth just edge it ahead of butterworth Lineghan and  Bruce & Watson  - but there is very little between them - the first two edge it for top flight excellence.

I would have all three ahead of Mackay and Flem.  That partnership was really struggling in our promotion season (conceeding more goals than the 2 previous seasons as we languished mid table by the international break) until we made the signings of crouch and esp hux,  who transformed a shaky back 4 into a solid unit,  moving our defence forward 10 yards and our opponents back 20.