Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

Hooper to Forest...

Looks like a fast growing rumour...

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/29/nottingham-forest-fans-react-on-twitter-to-news-of-potential-gar/

Hope he stays with us though...

Interesting that some of their fans don''t believe it will happen-I guess it''s not just Norwich fans that are pessimistic!

Think he is someone that needs to be playing football week in, week out.

Too good to be our 4th choice striker, but can''t see him being suited to the Alex Neil brand of football and playing much here.

A move away would be the best option for all parties, IMO.

I like Hooper but even though this is just made up I actually agree he is probably best being moved on (presuming we get someone else better in). It''s a shame because he is a good player but I can''t see him playing more than a cameo role this season.

He seems to be at least 3rd choice before we bring in another striker. Is he likely to want to sit on the bench? and I''m not sure it''s good for us either as he doesn''t always look that sharp when he hasn''t played for a while.

If we can''t move on RVW, Hooper seems the obvious guy to move on to free up wages and a squad place for a new striker.

Still reckon he could do a job as AMC. If Wes were to get injured, he''s the best option I reckon. He likes coming deeper to show for the ball anyway, has good awareness and vision, and is also a better striker of the ball and a better finisher than Wes. If he stays, I''d look to groom him as a backup/rotation for Wes. Obviously he''s lacking fitness and could do with six weeks without carbs, but he''s a great finisher who is rarely-to-never going to get a game as a lone striker.

In the same way I dont get the RvW hatred I dont get the hooper love in either.

He is a finisher but his record since joining us is patchy at best;   no player over those two seasons has got a starting spot and then been dropped more often than him (by all three managers) - in spite of his "fantastic" goals per minute played ratio.    To me his contribution appears to be based upon his mood and more often that not he underwhelms;  his team play is poor, creativity weak and his defensive contribution weak - that for me is why he is so regularly dropped and why other strikers are rightly prefered.    Add in an inability to score against capable defences (all bar two of his goals came against teams in the bottom 8,  just one against a top 10 side).   The highest place side he provided an assist against was Huddersfield - in 16th.   I struggle to see how he is seen as a key player for us.

RvWs movement and work ethic is much better than Hoopers,  hoopers finishing is better;   neither will get many games for us this season & if possible both should be moved on & replaced;   if I had to have one of the two I would marginally plump for RvW.   Confidence can return,  hoopers is unlikely to improve or change his style. 

The telling, and disappointing, thing for me is his attitude.

If he was really wanting to prove himself as a Norwich City player and a Premier League performer, you would have expected to see him come back this summer in really good shape. But he''s clearly unfit and overweight. He needed a good pre-season to really give AN something to think about, but from what I''ve gathered he''s not really busted a gut and his performances have been average.

Hooper is a very decent finisher, his link-up play is pretty good but he doesn''t seem particularly a rsed to me.

If a decent offer comes in I''d like to see it accepted. Good player, but we need our strikers to be offering a bit more this season.

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

In the same way I dont get the RvW hatred I dont get the hooper love in either.

He is a finisher but his record since joining us is patchy at best;   no player over those two seasons has got a starting spot and then been dropped more often than him (by all three managers) - in spite of his "fantastic" goals per minute played ratio.    To me his contribution appears to be based upon his mood and more often that not he underwhelms;  his team play is poor, creativity weak and his defensive contribution weak - that for me is why he is so regularly dropped and why other strikers are rightly prefered.    Add in an inability to score against capable defences (all bar two of his goals came against teams in the bottom 8,  just one against a top 10 side).   The highest place side he provided an assist against was Huddersfield - in 16th.   I struggle to see how he is seen as a key player for us.

RvWs movement and work ethic is much better than Hoopers,  hoopers finishing is better;   neither will get many games for us this season & if possible both should be moved on & replaced;   if I had to have one of the two I would marginally plump for RvW.   Confidence can return,  hoopers is unlikely to improve or change his style. 

[/quote]

So strange how two people can see such different things. I would say his team play and creativity are two of his strongest assets – he almost always comes deep, facing away from goal, to show for the ball and lay it off first time with excellent first touches, thus bringing other people into the attack. He often tries intelligent slide-rule or reverse passes that other players might not even see, let alone attempt. Obviously when it doesn''t come off, people will naturally think "Play it simple!", but that''s what you get with ''creative'' forward players, it''s the same with Wes. I just think it would be madness to offload our most natural finisher – get him fit, get him on the bench, give him a chance to score. I would be very confident that he''d score with a higher percentage of his shots than RvW or Grabban (and probably Jerome too).

Obviously if someone wants to come in and offer him top dollar for regular first-team football, sell him and reinvest, but I don''t see him as a lost cause by any stretch of the imagination.

Perhaps AN doesn''t want to upset him about his weight. He''s literally the elephant in the room.

Careful ZLF, you''re beginning to sound a bit like Jaemae, I''ll get really worried if you start talking about Fußball 😉

Why is it every season a Norwich player gets accused of being overweight?

Hooper is just stocky and well built, probably not an ounce of fat on his body.

Holt had the same sort of figure, always got accused of being fat, pulled his top up and he was just ripped!

Agree with Hooper in the Wes role in the future, watching his link up play is fantastic. Watching him and Wes link up at times last season gave me a hard on

I think people underestimate how good Hooper can be. His passing is good and I see him as a more ''Rooney'' style player than an out and out striker. Yes at times his work rate has been poor compared to Grabban and towards the end of the season even Jerome but his playing style is similar to Chris Martin''s and it does come across ''lazy'' to some.

The most disappointing thing about last night though was his clear lack of pace. He certainly isn''t going to be able to speed past any of the Premier League defenses anytime soon. If Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel combined to become Van Hoopwinkeler there''d be the finishing and the pace all rolled into one!

His touch & link up play is superb, if he was just a little quicker he''d be one hell of a player. And I too thought he had a good game last night.

I''d be sad to see him leave, even on loan, I still think he has a part to play in our season. Right now I feel we need all strike power we have.

I''d say he''s vital.

Certain games will require 2 forwards, others will require a player to come off the bench to have an impact.

12 goals and 6 assists people seem to just forget about how much he really did contribute and Although he isn''t suited to the loan striker role, a player with his finishing ability would be a massive loss and a replacement wouldn''t come cheap.

We do need a new striker. But I''d rather see Lafferty and RVW moved on before Hooper is allowed to leave.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"] But he''s clearly unfit and overweight.

[/quote]

Do you honestly think if that was the case Alex Neil and his regime would have him anywhere near the first team squad ?

Average Championship striker who can score a beautiful goal to persuade people he is more. Average pace, average touch, average work rate, scores the odd screamer. Sell, sell, sell.

Average Championship striker who can score a beautiful goal to persuade people he is more. Average pace, average touch, average work rate, scores the odd screamer. Sell, sell, sell.

Even I don''t think you mean that.

Below average comment Boring Boring Boring

^ What Tilly said

It''s clear Hoops has quite a compact solid frame, that''s just his build but to seriously suggest that he''s some sort of obese fatty is absolutely ridiculous! I sometimes wonder what planet people are on if they really think Alex Neil would play such a grossly unfit player that he''d be risking a heart attack!

I didn''t think he had a bad game at all last night, some superb passes from good vision, and considering he made his name being a finisher around the box alá Gary Lineker (and let''s not forget that that''s Hooper''s strength) then he''s not doing too bad in that role all things considering - after all, how would Lineker have faired in that position? My feeling is that he wouldn''t be quite the goal scoring legend he is today. Imho Hooper really need''s to be playing in a team set up for a 6 or 12 yard poacher.

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 29/07/2015 7:32 PM:

"Below average comment Boring Boring Boring"

It''s my opinion, knobcheese. Like it or don''t like it, that''s your choice.

What an unpleasant little troll you are!

I preferred Chopsy.

How many accounts do you have by the way?

Bor Bor Bor wrote the following post at 29/07/2015 8:12 PM:

One for every time you''ve done anything worthwhile with your life.

Oh, that''s one account.

I rounded up.

Toys in the attic!

Hooper is streets better than Lafferty, RvW or, for that matter, Grabban. If he is indeed ''only an average championship striker'', I shudder to think how these three might be described.

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 29/07/2015 8:27 PM:

Hooper is streets better than Lafferty, RvW or, for that matter, Grabban. If he is indeed ''only an average championship striker'', I shudder to think how these three might be described.

Next to Jerome Hoops is our best goal scorer IMO, a bit disappointed that he is behind Grabban in the pecking order.