Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Ruel Fox, Dale Gordon, Ian Crook...

All players who could deliver the ball on a sixpence.   Some of the goals scored while these players were in the team were purely down to their accuracy of crosses/long passes - not occasionally, but consistently.   We have lacked this kind of player - imo - for quite some time.   Redmond ought to be the player for that - and to be fair, his accuracy of crossing is improving - but the levels of consistency the above players reached was quite special.  

Wes has the ability, but he sometimes tries too difficult passes and they don''t come off.  The joy of watching messrs Crook, Gordon and Fox were that as soon as they got the ball you sensed that something wopuld happen.  Hucks of course was like that, but was a scorer rather than a provider.   Holt was a great passer as well as scorer. 

We''ve had other players who had the ability - but not the consistent accuracy that RF, DG and IC had.   Watching RVW  on Tuesday, he consistently got into good positions that if a player like Crook had beeen on the pitch, he would have been put through a lot more than the once he did get through.   The same against Augsburg, but all our strikers would benefit from a player who can reach the same standard as the three I mention.

Am I being unfair to our present players or can anyone add to that list? 

mulryne would have been that player if it was not for that injury a very gifted player.

I believe notman and McVeigh would be in the same boat.

Easton and Rivers, Pilks... I agree that there has not been a great player and I agree that has been a shame, but we have had players along the way.

As always it is great to look back and see some of the great players we have had. Right now we have some good players and I hope we add to these in the upcoming days with two or three great seasons.

For me, Chippy was the best passer of a footballer I have ever seen playing for Norwich.

That said, the game has changed so much that I don''t think a player like him would get a look in these days.

Modern game much more about being athletic - something Chippy certainly wasn''t!

[quote user="Vanwink"]Andy Hughes[/quote]

Did i read somewhere he conceeded more throws in than any city player in one season,  with many going out of touch without bouncing after leaving his foot?   I recall a particularly spectacular cross field pass that landed in the directors box. 

Fond memories.

hogesar wrote the following post at 30/07/2015 11:08 AM:

Don''t think any of these players would help RVW hit the target.

Would probably only add to the poor lads embarrassment.

Lakey my memories of Hucks was he made more goals than he scored, and got as much enjoyment out getting those around him scoring (Crouch / Iwan) stand testament to that, the great provider !