Sign in to follow this  
TIL 1010

Moderation.

Seems funny to me how ruthers got jumped on within a few minutes the other day by Peter The Deleter the moment he criticised Archant for the Mustard TV farce yet we have this fake passport,driving licence $hite that is allowed to infest this messageboard for yonks before it disappears. We currently have two on the front page. Don''t get me started on the likes of Waveney or that other buffoon who pretends to be a Dundee supporting Jock. [:@]

This messageboard has the most traffic of any site but just think how much better it could be with half decent moderation. [:(]

"Whatever it is, you should clean up this city here, because this city

here is like an open sewer you know. It''s full of filth and scum. And

sometimes I can hardly take it."

[quote user="Talented Canary"]Here here damn that Waveney Canary[/quote]

As I suspected looks like another one to add to the list Lapps.

Sorry, didn''t spot this thread Til, but you''re spot on with your analysis.

Although you and I don''t normally see eye to eye on pretty much anything I''m right behind you on this one and the well overdue update of this third world forum.

One thing with the spammer posts is that the situation is similar to when people reply to spam emails.Anyone posting a reply will cause an email notification to be sent to the spammer, who then automatically picks this board to post yet more spam messages. The messageboard''s web address could also be passed on to other spammers based on this apparent interest.Quicker deletion and moderators warnings for people who reply to spam posts would help prevent the problem. As would upgrading to a newer forum.

Wading through the shit on this board is a pain in the arse sometimes.

You''re right it''s ironic whenever anything criticising archant or linking to other boards gets posted it''s swiftly deleted yet spam accounts just infest everywhere. I''m actually just impressed with (or more realistically a bit sad for) the guy or guys that can keep up with the level of bullshit peddling required to ruin this place.

Trouble is it is where the most supporters hang out and where in between the crap where the widest debate is usually.

I don''t think Archant have any interest in forums, I believe there is only this one and an Ipswich one left.

Forums are a dying medium, its all about Facebook and Twitter.

I don''t think its Pete''s actual job to moderate this forum, I believe he just does it on a kind of ad-hoc good will basis, and most of the moderation stems from someone hitting the report button.

And I doubt very much they are going to spend any money on upgrading it.

Surely the way they papped themselves when Norwich Talk appeared must mean that this forum is a bit important to them??

Maybe so Herman, but this forum was outdated when they started it in 2003, so whatever they are planning, they are in no rush to do it lol.

But presumably the more people on this forum and the pink un pages generally the more they can sell those ad spaces for so there must be an interest in keeping it healthy to keep that revenue stream?

If I was cynical then I would suggest the biggest pulls are the online punch up threads and those are exactly the ones a moderator would stamp on.