Sign in to follow this  
andyc24_uk

Why is a 3rd GK a priority?!

I''m impressed with the signings so far (even if we overpaid for Brady) but a little worried about what''s next... why on earth are we focusing on signing a third-rate goalkeeper who realistically will never play?! I''m far from convinced we even need another ''keeper (the chances of both Ruddy and Rudd being injured at the same time are tiny) but more importantly, shouldnt we be focusing on the positions we KNOW we need to strengthen - Central defence and arguably up front? Why can''t we just stick our U21s or U18s keeper on the bench in the extremely unlikely event it becomes necessary? Otherwise, surely we could wait til deadline day and pretty much any ''keeper from league 1 or 2 (or indeed most of the smaller European leagues) would jump at the chance to sign for a Premier League team?

I think we do, Rudd is capable and will have his time, but unless you want an emergency loan option. Which does not sound ideal.

We all remember that happened to Andy Marshall and it is hard for a young keeper to get their chance. It is a position that is very valuable and can gain you points and save you points.

Critical to get it right and a signing here I think is a good idea

Certainly need a 3rd GK - particularly now that Remi Matthews has gone out on loan.

I seem to remember not so long ago that Ruddy got injured, and then Bunn sent off, and we had to play our then 3rd choice - Lee Camp.

Too big a risk not to have a 3rd GK in the squad who is capable of "doing a job" in an emergency.

Andy - don''t panic! I am sure they (AN and the Board) are juggling many balls,a nd not just one job at a time. I would also wager that a 3rd choice keeper''s signing/contract would be a lot quicker and easier to handle, than a potential 1st team outfield player. AN has alluded to a possible 2 more signings to help the team

We do need a new keeper Ruddy is a good keeper and will probaly play every game, except maybe some cup games or if he is injured or sent off then we only have Rudd, Rudd is a good keeper but young and still developing, we require a player who can push for a start as much as possilbe with Ruddy to get the best out of him and also in case of a dip in form.

Ruddy in good form this season could make a massive difference.

I had hoped that we''d keep Remi Matthews as the 3rd keeper as he still counts as under 21 and wouldn''t take a squad place. It sounds like we''ll bring in a new one before the window closes, which will mean losing one of our present players, which is a shame. As Wisdom can also play at CB, AN may want to look at that possibility before bringing in a new one. A for the strikers, one will have to leave if another comes in.

As a prem team there is no such thing as an emergency loan - we can only use players signed by 1st Sept or players who dont have a club.

It is very easy for a keeper to be injured or sent off;   as such we would have to start with rudd,  which is fine.   But with Matthews on loan for the season that would leave us with an extremely inexperienced keeper on the bench;  which is far from ideal.

There isnt a club that runs with just two keeper options,   a third is needed just for those freak situations.   We sign one they are not used and it seems over cautious,  we dont and the inevitable will happen and we have an injury then a sending off and we have to start with a young player.

As others have said we will look to sign an older end of career keeper happy to take a wage for little effort;  and it wont distract from other the hunt for players in other positions

I''m still not sure someone like Kean who''s always looked pretty average at a pretty weak Blackburn team in the Championship is that much of an upgrade on one of our academy keepers. Certainly not enough to warrant taking up one of our limited squad spaces.

I suppose what could benefit us is if we could get someone along the lines of Friedel or Given, basically retired but sign them primarily as a goalkeeping coach but knowing they still had the ability to come of the bench for 45 minutes if absolutely necessary and do a job.

All sides need to have decent back-up at g/k, one isn''t enough. It is odd that Remi went out before we got our third guy in, but I''d hope that we have someone lined up. IMO it would be ideal if one keeper is ''under age'' so not having to take up a squad place, but that obviously depends what pressure we''re under to comply with the rules. The odd thing is Bunn''s move to Villa, as he swapped 3rd choice here for 3rd choice there in a supposed quest for more first team action.

Once upon a time there was an established 1st division club. In the first seasons of the premier league they finished an astonishing 3rd, having also had a decent run in Europe.

But during the close season they did not think reserve goalkeeper an important position. Then a certain Brian Gunn broke his leg and an inexperienced Andy Marshall went between the posts.

The club shifted from top ten to relegation. The season bEFORE the big money came into the league. It began a period of stagnation and economic decline which they didn''t shake off until the Lambert years....

The moral of the story: It is completely unimportant if Ruddy stays injury free. But nothing in life is certain...