Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

Striker Search

With two reported City targets, Ricky Lambert and Rudy Getstede, close to joining West Brom and Villa, who do we think we should be targeting?

Norwich currently have five senior strikers in the squad - Jerome, Grabban, Lafferty, Hooper and RVW. With the latter two''s futures uncertain and Lafferty seemingly on his way out, there could be more than one new arrival in this department.

Assuming we will stick with one up top, I believe we will need players who are physical, hard working and who has proven that he is capable of scoring around 15 goals in the premier league (I''m basically describing Grant Holt in his prime!).

So, over to you guys.... Any realistic ideas?

I think we may end up sticking with what we''ve got. Not ideal but there isn''t a lot available by the looks of it, certainly nobody that would drastically improve what we already have.

The only one I can really think of right now is Dwight Gayle.

I still think Mbokani looks like he could be a great signing. Hopefully the problems that (reportedly) arose last time with a third party wanting a % of the transfer fee is no longer a problem, or as much of a problem.

Nicko - I really rate Dwight Gayle, but not sure he would be the right man to fit into our current system. He will score goals if you give him chances in the 18 yard box, but is he physical enough to play as a lone striker? Not so sure.

Of the names we''ve been linked with, the stand out for me is Mbokani from Kiev. Think he is the type of player that would suit the system.

Can we consider Charlie Austin realistic?

If so, him. By a mile.

I don''t think Austin is a viable option IMO - far too expensive.

I wouldn''t say Gayle is the answer, just can''t think of another striker that''s got a decent prem record and is available.

That set of strikers looks way short of what we will need imo  , still think the defence could do with some class added to it as well , no doubt Wisdom will be seen as to inexperienced to replace Martin so we will still be stuck with him in the side .Just don''t think we have used this window very well at all , we don''t look much stronger than last season and this league is much stronger .As for a striker , Mbokani is probably the only one left of the names we have been linked with , it will almost certainly be a foreigner if we bother to bring anybody in at all and with Ricky looking set to stay Nobody could well be the favourite .

lafferty is a bizarre one. Watching him in the lone striker role for Northern Ireland he looks absolutely ideal for what we want and need in a big man. We all know what Neil thinks about attitude and I imagine that''s the major factor.

I''m glad that Neil has come out in the press and said he was happy with RvW and what he offers. ultimately if we aren''t signing genuine proven quality I''d rather we keep him and see how he gets on in a more fluid attack. Was our number 1 striker in the negative tactics, now he''s our number 3/4th choice?

My choice would be Assamabolonga (however you spell it) Young, so will be driven and wanting to improve. Re-sellable asset, can run the channels, is pacey and physical and good scoring record.

Only question mark is his fitness and where he''s up to after his injury!!

Only other one who I think is realistic and in our price range - Chris Martin - much improved since he left, and is used to and good at playing as a loan striker!! Whether he would come back or not is different story

Too much risk I think with a foreign striker and we don''t have time for someone to get used to the premier league pace. Jerome and grabban will be useful with their pace and movement but don''t see either getting enough goals as front line striker. If they can chip in with 4 or 5 and we have a 10-15 goal striker it wil give us a chance

I''ve had a quick look and it is tricky to find the right player who is A) Available B) Good enough and C) Willing to come.

The latter stages could be interesting, as clubs make signings - making suitable players available.

Here is a list of players who, whilst many may not deem good enough, may fall into the ''possible'' category:

Gayle, Murray, Chamakh (All Palace), Fletcher, Wickham, Graham (All Sunderland), Naismith (Everton), Borini (Liverpool), Anichebe (Everton), Kozak (Villa), Akpom (Arsenal), Crouch (Stoke), Emnes (Swansea).

Some wouldn''t come and some not good enough, I''m sure, but just some names to ponder...!

We could''ve almost secured promotion with Lambert though, he''s perfect - yet we didn''t seem willing to push the boat out for him.

We should''ve made things a lot harder for West Brom if you want my honest opinion - if they get him for £3m (I know wages could be the bigger issue), but that''s peanuts compared to the financial gain we get for surviving this season.

I''m really praying that a star striker is some way back in the pipe line. I''m not convinced that our current group will be prolific enough and we must have funds left to burn ... No debt and under £10m spent thus far.

Mbokani looks worth a punt ...

Claudio Beauvue plays for Guingamp

Bas Dost plays for Wolfsburg

Charlie Austin plays for QPR

Gregoire Defrel plays for Cesena who we have been linked with dont know anything about him

Dieumerci Mbokani who we have been linked with at Kiev

would''nt any of these dont know anything about Defrel but any of these would give us an better options upfront, i would love Bas Dost here but not sure it would happen.

Crouch would be great. Last couple of seasons we have really missed a good headerer (is that a word?). The lack of goals from corners was also apparent compared with some sides. Also imagine seeing Abbey Clancy about town? She would bring in thousands more people alone, without the long fellow in tow.

Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 30/07/2015 2:58 PM:Gayle, Murray, Chamakh (All Palace), Fletcher, Wickham, Graham (All Sunderland), Naismith (Everton), Borini (Liverpool), Anichebe (Everton), Kozak (Villa), Akpom (Arsenal), Crouch (Stoke), Emnes (Swansea).

----------------------

I think thats the most depressing thing I''ve seen

We still have a month and only one more transfer to really make. I firmly believe we will get another striker in if we need to. The advantage we have of doing business later is that we can give people like RVW one more go. If we get to deadline day still searching but with Jerome, RVW and grabban all in form, will we still bother look?

[quote user="mrs miggins"]Yellow and Green wrote the following post at 30/07/2015 2:58 PM:Gayle, Murray, Chamakh (All Palace), Fletcher, Wickham, Graham (All Sunderland), Naismith (Everton), Borini (Liverpool), Anichebe (Everton), Kozak (Villa), Akpom (Arsenal), Crouch (Stoke), Emnes (Swansea).

----------------------

I think thats the most depressing thing I''ve seen[/quote]

Strihavka, maric, Mooney, sibierski, lupoli

Have you noticed there''s no mention of spending every penny on the squad?!

Perhaps something else is in the pipeline. ...like a new stand?

I think we should go back to Ipswich with our tails between our legs and ask for Daryl Murphy.

[quote user="tricky974"]i would love Bas Dost here but not sure it would happen.[/quote]He scored 16 Bundesliga goals last season, and Wolfsburg finished second so qualify automatically for the group stages of the Champions League. Not a hope in hell of him coming here!