Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

I was quite hopeful for RVW tonight...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]QPR and Burnley both tried 81 long balls per game, the joint highest of any teams in the Premier League. They tried 283 short passes per game each, the joint 18th lowest.

People don''t think of them as classic long ball teams a la Big Sam or early Pulis - but they would try the back to front ball regularly as they didn''t have the ability to create in any other way.

Burnley were credited with being a decent football team, but that was mainly built on their reputation whilst in the Championship.[/quote]Would be genuinely interested in your thoughts on my reply, Bethnal – I enjoy reading your posts.Purple – Vadis looked very lively to me. Like Hooper he appears very bulky, but he''s as strong as an ox and has a good first touch, always looking to beat a man with pace and strength and move into available forward spaces. Got stuck in and won the ball back quite a lot too – at full fitness, I think he could be a beast. Quite where his best position is, is anybody''s guess – although anywhere in midfield I think he''d do a job (except possibly the ''Tettey role'' – although if we play 4-2-3-1 I think he''d be a good foil for Tettey or Mulumbu in a deeper role).

I think he will stay but only come on from the bench initially hope it works out but we cannot be too patient the first half of the season at home represents a very good opportunity to get decent points on the board

Really frustrating with RVW - he makes some really intelligent well timed moves but his confidence with shooting appears really low.

I think Grabban can be a big player for us this season - quick player can hold ball up well and can spring offside trap albeit needs to work on his run timings as was caught offside quite a few times last season.

Would someone like Papis Cisse be an option? Or would wages prevent a move?

[quote user="Tommo"]Really frustrating with RVW - he makes some really intelligent well timed moves but his confidence with shooting appears really low. [/quote]

Exactly this, the movement for his chance last night was spot on. He made the run without thinking about it and timed it perfectly. It''s when he actually came to the shot and the fact Adrian stayed up instead of going down he seemed to panic and waste the chance. Also, his head just dropped instantly after the shot.

Something tells me if he puts away a chance like that then he may be a completely different player

Agree and to be fair even second half he was hunting down the goal for scraps when shots were going in by Redmond etc

Can''t doubt the lads application just hope Neil can have a few encouraging words in his ear and work on one on ones in training with him now that match fitness is getting there. Still could be an important player for us

Completely agree Baboon - and I couldn''t agree more with previous posters re: Torres similarities!

He is a good player; people don''t lose the ability to score goals forever. You could see what he was thinking just before the one-on-one: pressure and the consequences of missing.

A couple of goals and he will be a million times better!

please please please alex neil - dont give RVW a chance to prove himself this season... he had a most the season last time and scored ONE goal.

I like the guy and feel sorry for him but Norwich cannot sacrifice a single moment in a single game waiting for his confidence to come... the loan move was meant to help him, he didnt do good. get rid of him for any price and save on his wages.

:-/

i really wish he would come good but he wont.

Needs to be left out of the 25, would struggle to get in a L1 line up

Only staying for the cash - not bothered about playing as he must know wont even make the bench

At least San Miquel agreed to cancel his contract & move on but Wolf loves his pay check too much

I wasn''t at the game last night but I think it''s pretty shoddy that the Youtube highlights the club posted last night totally omit any of RVW''s chances. I know the lad is low on confidence but just pretending things didn''t happen isn''t the way forward.

KC what is there to show

shot straight at the keeper when one on one

failed to connect properly in 6 yard box twice and then fell over his own feet when 25 yards out with only one defender ahead of him - when laying on the ground the fool tried to pick the ball up

Not a great deal to show - oh and he was booed off when substituted

I agree with Canary - it was very strange that the three goal chances by Ricky were omitted from the West Ham youtube highlights... Is it a good thing or bad?

We can go round and round and round in circles, like a one footed irish player ( [;)] ) all we want.The end result is still lack of goals, which is what he is employed to do.If you were to transport Ricky back several years when everyone played 4-4-2, and played him off a big striker he may be good for 10 goals.Sorry, still, as much as I''d like to see this end happily for Ricky, I won''t be putting any money on it.

Watching Wolfsdinkel and Hooper is like watching Bambi and Thumper. It''s mainly the kids that enjoy this sort of stuff but we''re going to get relegated again.

The fact that he had chances in the game shows he is putting himself in the right places to score - he''s just got to start putting one or two away.   The West Ham strikers were poor all evening too on a poor night for goals and finishing.  It happens.  

I still have the feeling he will feature this season - and will score one or two - and if he does get his confidence up and go on a goal scoring run,  the respect he will get for overcoming his goal drought will propel him to the status of super hero in no time at all.   His ability is there - he just has to start doing the business.   

[quote user="lake district canary"]The fact that he had chances in the game shows he is putting himself in the right places to score - he''s just got to start putting one or two away.   The West Ham strikers were poor all evening too on a poor night for goals and finishing.  It happens.  

I still have the feeling he will feature this season - and will score one or two - and if he does get his confidence up and go on a goal scoring run,  the respect he will get for overcoming his goal drought will propel him to the status of super hero in no time at all.   His ability is there - he just has to start doing the business.  [/quote]Wishful thinking I''m afraid. Steve Morison was better than him and cost far less. Face facts, Wolfswinkel is a millstone round the clubs neck and should be training with the youth team instead of playing in friendlies.

[quote user="Newton"]KC what is there to show

Not a great deal to show - oh and he was booed off when substituted[/quote]

What about the looping header that the goalie had to put over the bar?

He needed to "start putting one or two away" two seasons ago.

Am pretty sure that when we paid the money for him that we did, we presumed to be buying something pretty close to a finished article, not gambling or hoping he was "one for the future"

However you spin it, he hasn''t performed for two seasons, if he was ruined by Hughton''s negative tactics then last season was his chance to regain his confidence, and show the world he was worth the pricetag. And he was bang average, in a bang average league.

[quote user="morty"]He needed to "start putting one or two away" two seasons ago.

Am pretty sure that when we paid the money for him that we did, we presumed to be buying something pretty close to a finished article, not gambling or hoping he was "one for the future"

However you spin it, he hasn''t performed for two seasons, if he was ruined by Hughton''s negative tactics then last season was his chance to regain his confidence, and show the world he was worth the pricetag. And he was bang average, in a bang average league.[/quote]Thats exactly why he should not still be here, of course its also why he is hard to sell

[quote user="Feedthewolf"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]QPR and Burnley both tried 81 long balls per game, the joint highest of any teams in the Premier League. They tried 283 short passes per game each, the joint 18th lowest.

People don''t think of them as classic long ball teams a la Big Sam or early Pulis - but they would try the back to front ball regularly as they didn''t have the ability to create in any other way.

Burnley were credited with being a decent football team, but that was mainly built on their reputation whilst in the Championship.[/quote]Would be genuinely interested in your thoughts on my reply, Bethnal – I enjoy reading your posts.Purple – Vadis looked very lively to me. Like Hooper he appears very bulky, but he''s as strong as an ox and has a good first touch, always looking to beat a man with pace and strength and move into available forward spaces. Got stuck in and won the ball back quite a lot too – at full fitness, I think he could be a beast. Quite where his best position is, is anybody''s guess – although anywhere in midfield I think he''d do a job (except possibly the ''Tettey role'' – although if we play 4-2-3-1 I think he''d be a good foil for Tettey or Mulumbu in a deeper role).[/quote]

Thanks.

Seems our manager sees something in him. ''RVW in the striking mix'' according to Pink Un. Neil saying he offers something different. Surely he won''t be in the 25!

RVW is different from our other striking options, in that unlike them he doesn''t score goals. Which could be regarded as sub optimal.

I''m surprised the club are wasting any meaningful time on the guy, but AN must have seen something useful somewhere as he doesn''t seem like the sort of manager to flog a dead horse. Weird.

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"]If AN thinks he offers something different and is worthy of a place in the 25 then I will trust his judgement.[/quote]All guesswork of course, but I reckon AN is thinking something along the lines of "if nobody will come in and take him off my hands, I''ll have to include him in the 25 because I won''t be able to free up the wages to bring in another striker". The problem is he''s short of suitors, high on the wage bill and low on confidence - the (im)perfect combination for a player deemed surplus to requirements. Would imagine Lafferty is in a similar situation, although you''d expect that a Championship club on a season-long loan might be a possibility?

Personally, I think it''s too easy to knock a man when he is already down.   The player hasn''t lost his ability - actually I don''t think he''s lost anything but a bit of confidence in front of goal.   He needs a good clear chance where he doesn''t have to think too much to get him going - the one on one was one of those where he had too much time to think. To get his confidence up he needs a bit of luck, or a chance that he can instinctively put away.    He''s always had ability - and we''ve seen he gets in good positions - I''m sure I''m not the only one willing him to get the monkey off his back, score a goal and get some confidence going in front of goal. It seems like the rest of his play is ok, just needs a spark to get him going.

The question we should ask ourselves is if a chance fell to RvW, Grabban, Lafferty or Hooper which is the most likely to score. I suspect Hooper is the most likely and RvW the least. We need to move on.

Agreed, if we have to keep him then he ought to be given the chance to earn his salary I guess. Maybe Neil sees it''s a question of confidence and that he can help him regain it. If anyone can I would think it would be our manager. Is a lack of confidence ever permanent? Is it possible to get so low that you never recover or is there always a way back? Not sure. Torres at Chelsea as mentioned above is a good comparison. It took him a long time to get his confidence back but even then was it ever up to previous levels. Neil maybe thinks Ricky has the technical ability and the promise of bringing something to the table if he can get him to believe in himself.

[quote user="Jim Moriarty"]If AN thinks he offers something different and is worthy of a place in the 25 then I will trust his judgement.[/quote]

Huzzah!  [Y]

I don''t think Alex Neil is the type to carry passengers, FeedTheWolf. I think you''ve, and most other people, hit the nail on the head with ''low on confidence''. I believe this is his issue, not he can''t kick a football straight etc - not possible to work your way up through the ranks if that was the case, though I suspect some people do believe he''s somehow managed it. I''m on the fence with how things will pan out for him, but if he (with the Carrow Rd faithful''s help) gets that feeling of being wanted plus confidence back, then I in turn will be confident he''ll come through this, but if not then...

Yes, he went through one on one with the keeper and he saved it, but it was on target, as was the acute angled drive that could easily have ended up in the net. And many have forgotten, or chose to ignore, he produced a fairly late sublime header which the Hammer''s keeper did very well to keep out. Plenty of pluses in that game, there really were, just a shame the people who were near me chose to deride him before he''d even kicked a ball - you''d have been forgiven for thinking he was an Ipshite player. Shame.

It''s interesting to see whart AN had to say about RvW, Odjidja-Ofoe and Andreu:

“I thought his movement off the front was good,” said the Norwich boss. “I don’t think he is ever going to be a big, strapping centre forward who is going to bash people about, however, if we can get the ball around the middle of the park the one thing he is good at is running off defenders’ shoulders and creating angles and creating space for himself. He was unfortunate in the game, he had two or three opportunities when he could have scored, particularly the one he ran through and had the goalkeeper to beat. I thought he worked extremely hard and the biggest thing for strikers is you want to make sure they get opportunities. It is important you have variety to choose from. Not just the strikers but you look at Vadis (Odjidja) and Tony Andreu as well and perhaps people haven’t seen a lot of them. It is vital to let people see what they are capable of and certainly in the first half or even 60 minutes they both equipped themselves well.”

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]It''s interesting to see whart AN had to say about RvW, Odjidja-Ofoe and Andreu:

“I thought his movement off the front was good,” said the Norwich boss. “I don’t think he is ever going to be a big, strapping centre forward who is going to bash people about, however, if we can get the ball around the middle of the park the one thing he is good at is running off defenders’ shoulders and creating angles and creating space for himself. He was unfortunate in the game, he had two or three opportunities when he could have scored, particularly the one he ran through and had the goalkeeper to beat. I thought he worked extremely hard and the biggest thing for strikers is you want to make sure they get opportunities. It is important you have variety to choose from. Not just the strikers but you look at Vadis (Odjidja) and Tony Andreu as well and perhaps people haven’t seen a lot of them. It is vital to let people see what they are capable of and certainly in the first half or even 60 minutes they both equipped themselves well.”[/quote]

A lot must be decided in training.  Assessing players every day as to their fitrness, form and attitude.  Every player deserves equal consideration - and if these three look amongst the best in training they will be in the squads on match days.   I would echo the same thoughts about fans too - give RWW a break - if he''s picked it''s because he has shown the manager he is worth it - and who are we to doubt the manager?