Sign in to follow this  
unique

Gestede/Lambert

Were NCFC ever genuinely interested in either of these two players when it''s clear that the current forward line-up is a concern?

Villa and West Brom, two clubs that will hopefully be battling at the bottom of the PL, seem to have pushed both these transfers through with relative ease and speed.

An early injury to Jerome does not bare thinking about whilst the forward line remains unstrengthened.

Gestede is a big risk in view of the fact that he has little Premiership experience and i suspect he may have cost Villa big money.Lambert i would have liked to see here but again i suspect he might want a 3 year contract but probably has at best a season and a half at the top level.

Striker needed urgently, together with CH, don''t let''s make it even harder for ourselves!

To be honest, I''m not fussed.

As AN says in his latest interview with the Pink''Un - they have got to be better or different.

I don''t see Lambert offering more than Jerome does or different. Some will argue and point towards him being an England international - I would point to the fact that it just highlights how short we are nationally, for genuine top class players.

He''s 34 in Feb. They have given him a two year contract, I suspect that was the deciding factor in his transfer. It''s risky if you ask me.

Lambert is also never going to be the sort of player that scores 15+ goals a season in the premier league unless you build a team designed to deliver the ball to him in such a way that he will. He''s an old fashioned centre forward, he lacks pace. He''s a good player, but better than what we have? Not convinced, at least, not any more.

As for Gestede - I wonder how much game time he will get? Agbonlahor, Ayew and possibly Adebeyor to compete with.

He''s also 26, and in terms of stats, he''s arguably behind Grabban in that last season was his most prolific of his career to date. Grabban has had two solid seasons in the Championship and has scored where he has been before as well, despite being employed as a winger as well.

So are either of those a drastic improvement on or offer anything different to the likes of Jerome, Grabban or Hooper? Arguably on Lafferty/RVW perhaps. But do we really want to be spending £3million+ on at best a benchwarmer when it is easier just to go with what we have?

That is the dilemma we are in. It''s also why I prefer us being linked with younger strikers, players that want to come here and push on to the next level, how Benteke has progressed at Villa etc.

Excellent, well reasoned, response chicken - and bang on the money for me.

Alex has also stressed the importance of team spirit and working hard for the team, he would have known the availability of these two, but chose not to compete.

hard to be jealous over an old man and an untested riski can see either of them being any more effective than hooper or jerome, who we know can actually score goals in this division, and lamberts career is winding down, wouldnt be shocked to see him at bolton or somewhere similar within 12 monthswe do kind of need a big signing though, someone with that little extra quality over what we already have, but they need to be a cut above either lambert or gestede

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We seem not able to compete with the likes of WBA, Palace or for that matter Bournemouth let alone Villa.[/quote]Yes it''s shocking that we can''t compete with three established Premiership teams and one with loads of cash. [:|]

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="Highland Canary"]We seem not able to compete with the likes of WBA, Palace or for that matter Bournemouth let alone Villa.[/quote]Yes it''s shocking that we can''t compete with three established Premiership teams and one with loads of cash. [:|][/quote]

That is if we were ever really interested in Gestede.

In all likelihood it was agent/paper gossip to try and get a better move Chicken, and as you mentioned, neither would have been a team-changing addition.

I find that a little strange. If other clubs were interested Bruce would have used the fact to drive the price up, unless he was told not to reveal it . Actually, not so strange. Maybe why we paid a bit more than expected, but I bet old motor mouth was changing at the bit.

[quote user="star_manic"]I find that a little strange. If other clubs were interested Bruce would have used the fact to drive the price up, unless he was told not to reveal it . Actually, not so strange. Maybe why we paid a bit more than expected, but I bet old motor mouth was changing at the bit.[/quote]

Bruce is a wisened veteran of management. He knew what he was saying and why.

I should imagine it was to alert other interested parties that bids were going in and that they were not acceptable to the club. This gets rid of the posers and the properly interested parties then have to act. It also means that we were played into a bid more or risk not getting him position.