Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

If our team is to stand any chance in the Premiership, Martin has to go!

We need better than him in pairing in centre of midfield. A central defender is a MUST signing. Please bring R Bennett on 2nd half along side Bassong.

[quote user="firststeps"]We need better than him in pairing in centre of midfield. A central defender is a MUST signing. Please bring R Bennett on 2nd half along side Bassong.[/quote] defence, I meant defence 😳

Defenders and strikers are what we have needed all summer , what we have now are nowhere near the quality needed to survive . Can only see us being relegated there are not 3 teams weaker than Norwich .

[quote user="firststeps"]Ryan Bennett may not be the answer but surely deserves a chance under the command of Bassong.[/quote]

Why does he deserve a chance?

He''s never looked convincing.

I agree we need another striker, but I think the 3 we have (Loza a long way off) we have a chance. We also have attacking minded midfielders. The defence is a priority, we are a week away from playing the best strikers in the world!

GJP, he looked okay in his last small spell, if he isn''t good enough I''m sure the manager would have seen that, if he gets a injury free spell then who knows what he''s capable of. We won''t know unless he gets a chance?

[quote user="firststeps"]I agree we need another striker, but I think the 3 we have (Loza a long way off) we have a chance. We also have attacking minded midfielders. The defence is a priority, we are a week away from playing the best strikers in the world![/quote]

I think this is your problem.  Overawed by an overhyped premier league.  Yes, the players are better, but it''s a team game and we will be up for the challenge with what we''ve got, throughout the team, Martin included.

Okay LDC, fair enough, this isn''t a Martin bashing thread, it''s an observation (my personal one), I think we need better, I''ll say no more about it.

[quote user="firststeps"]  if he isn''t good enough I''m sure the manager would have seen that,  [/quote]

Hence why he isn''t in the team.

Said so for 4-5 years. Martin is never good enough as CB, and barely as RB. Our weak spot alongside Whitts.

He was wrongly made captain, and is now untouchable, despite being rather poor in most matches, espescially when challenged in the air, but also against forwards with a bit of pace. He is just too slow, and makes too many unforced errors, espescially poor clearances which puts us under pressure again and again.

Must be replaced, and Van Dijk is the man.

[quote user="firststeps"]GJP, did you see his performance against West Spam?[/quote]

He was his usual average self.

Or did you see something to get excited about in his hoofs forward?

Harsh GJP, you haven''t even answered my question? Did YOU see him play against West Spam?

Eitherway, he had a very accomplished game.

Martin is our club captain, he has been picked by his COUNTRY on multiple occasions for playing in this position. Clearly everyone else knows nothing about football but you do...

Anyway, there''s at least two of us, Iwan Roberts was asked during the game (on Mustard TV) about the central defence, he politely suggested Mr Martin shouldn''t be there.

[quote user="firststeps"]Crap response AJ![/quote]Calling it a cr@p response is in itself a cr@p response. The point that several managers with enough experience and skill to have been given jobs managing PL teams have consistently picked him for years is, IMHO, significant.

Martin is not the best but neither is he the worst. I still think RB is his best position and he has played a lot of PL games. Our midfield is the best part of the squad and quality in defence or forward play will help significantly but the same goes for about 10 teams and those type of players either cost shedloads or have to be a gamble that comes off

If Martin was half as defensive as you Nuff Said and AJ he''d be a half decent defender.

Anyway, I see yet another Martin thread has sprung up since watching the match this afternoon, I am not alone!

firststeps wrote the following post at 01/08/2015 4:59 PM:

Anyway, there''s at least two of us, Iwan Roberts was asked during the game (on Mustard TV) about the central defence, he politely suggested Mr Martin shouldn''t be there.

You may find he isn''t there next Saturday.

Who won''t be there? Iwan Roberts? Iwan Roberts who was working for an independent company, Iwan Roberts who had an opinion that differed from yours!? Iwan Roberts a true Norwich legend!

That''s right Vanwink, of course he won''t.

Martin is captain and I believe a very good captain. Consecutive managers have had him as captain and he was brought in by Lambert partly as a role model.

He is handles himself very well in all aspects of captaincy and it is a very difficult position right now that he is one of the clubs most successful captains ever yet one of the weaker members of our team.

I would rather see him at right back than in the center but that is not where either he or the management see him playing.

I expect to see him phased out of the center of defense and probably moving on next summer but to drop or change the captain of last seasons team would be reminiscent of the changes made by Worthington in 04 that with hindsight it is easy to see were disruptive.

In summery... Yes he is a weaker member of the starting 11 but a very valuable and important leader of the squad.

[quote user="firststeps"]Harsh GJP, you haven''t even answered my question? Did YOU see him play against West Spam? Eitherway, he had a very accomplished game.[/quote]

I did. It wasn''t what I''d consider "accomplished" it was just the usual RyBen average stuff.

He''s never going to be more than backup/squad player here.

[quote user="firststeps"]If Martin was half as defensive as you Nuff Said and AJ he''d be a half decent defender.

Anyway, I see yet another Martin thread has sprung up since watching the match this afternoon, I am not alone![/quote]

Certain "supporters" find it very difficult to resist jumping on the scapegoat bandwagon. It is usually full of binners, trolls and people who haven''t got a scooby.