Sign in to follow this  
Luton canary

Lewis grabbin and Ricky van wolfswinkle.

Grabbin is no better than van Wolf has so many chances about 10 shots to 1 goal... So why does Ricky get so much stick from are fans and grabbin not so much? Van wolf would have scored 20 goals last season in the championship with the amount of chances grabbin had!!!

Agree , i thought Grabban looked a poor signing at Championship level never going to cut it in the top flight . Although he is in good company because you could say the same about every striker on our books apart from Hooper .

I to think hooper is are Best finisher just need to stay fit and get into shape.

With Ricky and Lewis we can''t afford these luxuries of missing 4-5 chances before you score one in the Premier League. The good thing is they create these chances bad thing they don''t have Hoopers finishing.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Agree , i thought Grabban looked a poor signing at Championship level never going to cut it in the top flight . Although he is in good company because you could say the same about every striker on our books apart from Hooper .[/quote]What an absolute load of horseshit. Grabban got us a lot of points last season and is a very good Championship striker. Not sure if he will be strong enough in the Prem but I''m not going to write him off just yet. And Jerome is as good, if not better than Hooper.

Different strikers for different games is what it will be.

Jerome will most likely start for Palace with Grabhan as sub.

RVW will be useful against other team styles in the PL over Jerome & Grabhan

After watching the game yesterday I actually thought the same!! Grabs had a one on one missed and also had a good opportunity when redmonds shot was saved failed to control the ball where a 1st time shot was possibly the best choice!! Problems is Rvw is our record signing not his fault we paid alot for him but as fans we expect something back!! I like grabs work rate and the way he stretches the back for but he''s not a good finisher!! Rvw came to the club with a reputation as a goal scorer but has failed miserable!! hooper yes great finisher but it''s not going to happen for him here if we continue with one up top!!

Oh joy. Another thread about van Wolfswinkel. Who has generated more sentimental twaddle than any Norwich City player in the last seven decades. Often it has been more like reading about some pet hamster than a highly-paid professional footballer. Who is no good. At the level of the top five European leagues he is no good. Two seasons and two failures. Hence our manager''s post-promotion decision to try to offload him, apparently only thwarted by the player''s wage demands. Who will only end up being (reluctantly) placed the 25-man squad if he continues to turn down such offers.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Who will only end up being (reluctantly) placed the 25-man squad if he continues to turn down such offers.[/quote]It ''aint necessarily so Purps......The 25-man squad can be named without him, meaning his only chance of regular football would be by going out on loan. At least we would recoup part of his wages.

I''m sure AN will have the balls not to include him, I hope the club backs up his decision.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We desperately need another striker. None of RvW, Lafferty or indeed Grabban provide the answer to our woes.[/quote]

We have woes?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]Who will only end up being (reluctantly) placed the 25-man squad if he continues to turn down such offers.[/quote]It ''aint necessarily so Purps......The 25-man squad can be named without him, meaning his only chance of regular football would be by going out on loan. At least we would recoup part of his wages.[/quote]I fully understood that, lapps. I would hope that if he does continue to turn down reasonable offers then he is told he won''t be named in the 25-man squad and will end up playing for the U-17s or whatever. Because he simply is not good enough for Premier League football.But one possible reality/dilemma (on which he may be counting) is that if he goes on rejecting offers then we may feel we have no choice but to name him in the squad, because otherwise we are paying a vast amount (whether £40,000 a week is true I don''t know) for a non-player. That is why I used the word "reluctantly", because all the indications are Neil doesn''t want him. But van Wolfswinkel may care more about the money than playing.

Its amazing how we have "woes"

free scoring going up which can translate into the same thing in the premier league

on the other hand we might flounder but unlike last time the strikers might get the odd ball passed to them or chance created

the best example of this was adams playing RVW he had 8 chances in one game before that he only had 7 shots on target all season and hooper wasn''t far of the same figure

Difficult to see the logic of linking these two. Grabban did very well for us last season and finished the season form wise better than he started it. He has not had the opportunity to be tested at the top level and deserves a chance. RVW on the other hand is a big big problem and dilema. He had a well documented terrible first season albeit certain elements of how we were set up contributed to this. He is on a fat contract to be expected as our most expensive ever signing. he would have probably had a relegation clause in his contract and as such would have had a hefty pay cut last season. The dilema of promotion is that he will have gone back onto his original salary with still another 2 years to run. His loan period was not a success and though Lisbon wanted him back for half of what we paid for him then he would not accept a hefty pay cut and can you blame him. cambridge apart he has not really shown any indication that he will fight his way into the side and turn around his fortunes. It is getting to the point where it is almost worth our while to try and resurrect the Lisbon deal and match the gap in wages for those 2 years he has left on his contract. There is as much chance of us getting our money back on this one as there is the EU from Greece. This certainly has exposed and clouded our transfer policy and shown our nativity in the foreign market

Yorkshire Canary wrote the following post at 03/08/2015 8:48 AM:

Difficult to see the logic of linking these two. Grabban did very well for us last season and finished the season form wise better than he started it. He has not had the opportunity to be tested at the top level and deserves a chance. RVW on the other hand is a big big problem and dilema. He had a well documented terrible first season albeit certain elements of how we were set up contributed to this. He is on a fat contract to be expected as our most expensive ever signing. he would have probably had a relegation clause in his contract and as such would have had a hefty pay cut last season. The dilema of promotion is that he will have gone back onto his original salary with still another 2 years to run. His loan period was not a success and though Lisbon wanted him back for half of what we paid for him then he would not accept a hefty pay cut and can you blame him. cambridge apart he has not really shown any indication that he will fight his way into the side and turn around his fortunes. It is getting to the point where it is almost worth our while to try and resurrect the Lisbon deal and match the gap in wages for those 2 years he has left on his contract. There is as much chance of us getting our money back on this one as there is the EU from Greece. This certainly has exposed and clouded our transfer policy and shown our nativity in the foreign market

It has been a disaster for us Yorkshire, and I don''t think too many will disagree with that.

I am interested in your final sentence, do you mean that we signed a dud and therefore it was our scouting that let us down or are you suggesting that there may have been some other way of drafting his contract to have avoided our present predicament.

Would be interested to know if there was a way we could have done this better?

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]This certainly has exposed and clouded our transfer policy and shown our nativity in the foreign market[/quote]

Is that because we thought we''d got Jesus but it turned out to be the donkey. [:)]

Forget about RvW and Lafferty

Grabban however is potentially our first or second choice striker as things stand. Him and Jerome are currently the two that are fighting for the one up top spot. Then Hopper to join whichever one misses out on the bench to provide another option.

Indeed Iwan and Drury said they thought Grabban would start against palace because his movement was so good and he worked defenders.

"Indeed Iwan and Drury said they thought Grabban would start against palace because his movement was so good and he worked defenders. "

Well who can argue with those two, but I guess I will, I agree that Grabban does work defenders better and Jeromes'' propensity to be caught off side continues to be a worry for me, but when he came on on Saturday I just knew he would score, and he did.

It''s about getting the ball in the net Iwan, you will remember that well you legend.

Further to earlier discussion i could not comment on RVW contract it is logical that he would be a top earner and on a long contract, when it was done it was hoped he would be a success and our investment be protected. We do appear to be stuck with an asset worth a fraction of what we paid and probably £2m a season on the wage bill. He does need to be offloaded asap but it will be a painful process financially. I feel our scouting was at fault and it was and is a great shame when we had the bottle to fork out a really big fee by our standards it proved to be such a dud. He never looked like a striker who could play up front on his own and given the then managers philosophy why did we not go for a Holt type striker at the time. what is done is done now but i suspect it will have shattered our confidence to spend big over seas for a long time to come

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Further to earlier discussion i could not comment on RVW contract it is logical that he would be a top earner and on a long contract, when it was done it was hoped he would be a success and our investment be protected. We do appear to be stuck with an asset worth a fraction of what we paid and probably £2m a season on the wage bill. He does need to be offloaded asap but it will be a painful process financially. I feel our scouting was at fault and it was and is a great shame when we had the bottle to fork out a really big fee by our standards it proved to be such a dud. He never looked like a striker who could play up front on his own and given the then managers philosophy why did we not go for a Holt type striker at the time. what is done is done now but i suspect it will have shattered our confidence to spend big over seas for a long time to come[/quote]

Some would say we didn''t need to ''go for a Holt type striker'' because he was still here at the time! But the management team felt we needed something different.

I agree that any signing from overseas is viewed extremely cautiously - Larrivey is one example, and if Mbokani is on his way for talks, it''ll be interesting to see how that plays out.