Sign in to follow this  
Canary Legend

leroy Fer loan to Sunderland

good business by sunderland but now wishing a relegation hat trick on him ;-)

While I think he is a good player and would improve our already strong midfield there are other areas we need to improve in first.

That''s them down then.It''s only a Sun rumour as of yet, but with big Dick there it could be a good move for him. I would like him to show how good he can be but not at a lower league rival.

They''ve loaned Caulker out as well. Would have preferred him. Could imagine him and Bassong being a good partnership.

Can''t understand a lot of the negativity in regards to Fer.Like almost all our players, he suffered under Hughton''s dire defensive system, had a few niggly injuries and was adapting to life in a new country and a new faster paced league than he was used to, so to perform reasonably well with all that against him shows the quality he has IMHO.Yes, he jumped ship to QPR (wrong side to join tbh), but he''s a dutch international with a very promising future who wants (and should be) to play at the highest level possible, and he wasn''t going to be doing that by staying with us in the Champs.I''d happily have him back here on a sensible deal, as I think he''d be much more effective and focused under AN than he ever was under CH.

I don''t think anyone is questioning his ability. The main problem I have with him is that he is basically lazy. Football fans can forgive bad luck, bad tactics and even a lack of skill - but I don''t think you can forgive a man who plays for your team who just can''t be ar5ed !!

Given the apallingly bad way that Hughton had us setup, I think any decent professional would have got quickly hacked off and perhaps not given 100% every single game, particularly players like Fer who have undoubted talent that was simply not being used to it''s fullest.

Phew yet again Hoooton is the reason for a player''s performance or under performance, get''s tedious. On all accounts he was as inconsistent if not more so at Loftus Road. Sure on his day a cracking player, but a lot of mediocrity in between regardless of who is the manager. I too much prefer Mulumbu.......as I am sure the majority will when looking back on Fer''s few great games for us.

Me and the kids use to laugh at him on motd last season Indy - he hasn''t changed...

Hughton''s tactics are no excuse, especially not when you''re being paid £30k pw to play football.

I get really hacked off when people blame Hughton for every single thing that went wrong that season.  Sure he was limited in his approach and it just didn''t work - but players have to take responsibility too - and if they don''t the relegation was as much down to them collectively as it was the manager.   Holt - for all his criticism and obvious dislike of the tactics in the first season - still proved influential in the season, putting several storming displays both going forwards and going back to help the defence.  In other words he was professional and gave his all - as he always did.  

If other players did not do that in the second season - that is down to them, not the manager.   I repeat - the manager takes responsibility and yes what he tried didn''t work -  but players such as Fer and any other who didn''t give their all (if there were any) take just as much as the blame. 

It''s all your fault LDC and you know it.

When Hughton used to log on here to feel the pulse, he would read your post proclaiming how wonderful he was, and go away emboldened to continue with his appalling negative tactics.

You should really be ashamed of yourself.

In AN we have a manager who strives to get the best out of his players.

Not so with Hughton.

Leroy Fer is basically an attack minded box to box midfielder, that''s the role he plays internationally for the Netherlands.

So how could he play that way for Hughton?

Could he push forward and make runs into the opposition''s box?

No, because of the inverted winger system employed by Hughton the opposition''s box was full, full backs were drawn in there, midfielders were able to get back into defensive positions because of the slowness of the attacks and there was no space to attack.

Could he play the ball wide to promote attacks?

No, because the wingers had come so far inside that he could not play the ball wide to them and the fullbacks were too far back to make attacking runs.

So what could he do?

The only thing players in that team could do .... defend.

And that is not what an attack minded box to box midfielder wants to do all the time. No wonder he looked jarred off so often!

Sorry LDC, the manager must take most of the blame.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]In AN we have a manager who strives to get the best out of his players.

Not so with Hughton.

Leroy Fer is basically an attack minded box to box midfielder, that''s the role he plays internationally for the Netherlands.

So how could he play that way for Hughton?

Could he push forward and make runs into the opposition''s box?

No, because of the inverted winger system employed by Hughton the opposition''s box was full, full backs were drawn in there, midfielders were able to get back into defensive positions because of the slowness of the attacks and there was no space to attack.

Could he play the ball wide to promote attacks?

No, because the wingers had come so far inside that he could not play the ball wide to them and the fullbacks were too far back to make attacking runs.

So what could he do?

The only thing players in that team could do .... defend.

And that is not what an attack minded box to box midfielder wants to do all the time. No wonder he looked jarred off so often!

Sorry LDC, the manager must take most of the blame.[/quote]Spot on YW, exactly my view as well.We''ve all seen how much better Johnson has been this season out on the left side rather than as a defensive mid, and I have every reason to believe that a similar situation would occur with Fer if he was given a bit more free reign and allowed to do what he does best (much like a certain Yaya Toure).

won more points per start than any other midfielder (incl Snodgrass) our most effective central midfielder that season,  both created and scored,  we we only won 1 game when he didnt play,   he had the best win ratio and was injured then came back underpar.

There were gaps in his game but his quality was clear and even if he did,  rather than perceived to, have "lazy" periods in games he remained more influential and a class above  johnson, howson, surman etc that season.

This was inspite of hughton and being a first season prem player.

We didnt get relegated because of him - it was the lack of quality in the rest of the squad that let us down far more. 

I would have loved to have kept him, and think it''s a massive shame we couldn''t persuade him to stay.

He''s a very good player, technically. I think like a lot of others in the squad he was suffocated by Hughton''s tactics that inevitably, along with our lack of quality in other areas, led to our downfall.

He has class and ability, and under the right manager he could definitely shine. He''s been in and around the national squad so clearly has the quality to play against the worlds best. I see Sunderland are also hoping to sign M''villa to play alongside him. What a strong midfield that could be.

Hughton''s tactics may have been a valid excuse for Leroy looking so lazy whilst in a City shirt.However, the fact he looked exactly the same under two different managers at QPR last season too, would suggest the failing is entirely his own.Decent player on his day, but clearly believes he''s better than he actually is and could never be bothered to put in the required effort. We''re much better off without him, and i can''t see him doing much to improve Sunderland. They''ll still go down, and good riddance too.

[quote]Hughton''s tactics may have been a valid excuse for Leroy looking so lazy whilst in a City shirt.However, the fact he looked exactly the same under two different managers at QPR last season too, would suggest the failing is entirely his own.Decent player on his day, but clearly believes he''s better than he actually is and could never be bothered to put in the required effort. We''re much better off without him, and i can''t see him doing much to improve Sunderland. They''ll still go down, and good riddance too.[/quote]
Fer''s attitude stinks... he''s a good player but as said above not as good as he thinks he is...pity but he could play at a much higher level.

Agree with Jas comments totally, nowhere are as near as good as he thinks is.

He let QPR and the fans down massively that day in Burnley, when attacking their own fans after another no show by the team.

I see Wet Spam are also in for him now, which will probably suit Fer better as in London, but would suit us better if he went to Sunderland IMO.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]Fer''s attitude stinks... he''s a good player but as said above not as good as he thinks he is...pity but he could play at a much higher level.[/quote]What a contradiction Jas!For someone who''s "not at good as he thinks he is", he''s already played for two mid/bottom premiership sides as well as the Dutch national team!Yet bizarrely, you yourself agree that he could play at a higher level, and to play at a higher level than he''s already done, he''d need to be at a top 4 club or at other similarly rated Champions League clubs across Europe, so clearly if this was the case he''d easily be as good as he might think he is!!!I didn''t see a bad attitude or laziness, I saw a player who in truth was probably the most technically strong in our entire squad, but who was getting his ability and freedom squashed under a god awful defensive system, and who is simply too good a player for the Champs hence why he chose to move on our relegation.

It''s nearly a year since he left and we''ve not yet replaced him with anyone the same standard let alone better.