Sign in to follow this  
Dicky

Good enough or not?

Just as a diversion to the Francis theme, my ratings on current players, good enough, squad player or no good to club:

Greeno - Good enough / Ward - Squad / Lewis - Squad 

Drury  Good enough / Shacks Good enough / Flemmo Squad player / Charlton Squad player

Docs  No good / Louis Jean  Squad player / Colin  Good enough

Hucks - Good enough / Safs - Good enough / Jarret - Squad player / Brennan - No good

Hendo - Squad player / Jarvis - Squad player /  Mc Veigh - Squad player

Ashton - Good enough / McKenzie - Good enough / Thorne - Squad player

Any I have missed off, sorry but it''s been a long day at work.

If you accept Dicky''s evaluations, and I do almost entirely, and then count up the number of "good enough" players - you find eight only. Each game, without injuries, we shall be compelled to play three players who are only "squad" players.

If there are any injuries, then we could have half the team who are only squad level. It does not fill you with confidence. Come on Worthy, find some quality!

hughes, lewis, Francis

and some how, i think that Jarrett will be a bit more than a squad player

I disagree with only two.

McVeigh has already shown he is EASILY good enough for first team championship football, in pretty much any position he gets put.

And - please people - just give the Doc a chance. He had about 8 games at centrehalf last season, and two pre-season games so far. Let''s not give him the "Svensson" treatment, and write him off before he''s had his chance to show us what he''s really capable of.

Otherwise a fair and honest assessment.

Green - 1
Colin - 1
Drury - 1
Doherty - 2
Shackell - 1
Henderson - 2
Huckerby - 1
Francis - 1
Safri - 1
Ashton - 1
Mckenzie - 1

Ward - 2
Jean - 2
Brennan - 2
Fleming - 2
Charlton - 2

Mcviegh - 2
Jarrett - 2
Hughes - 2
Thorne - 2
Jarvis - 2

1 = First Team
2 = Sqaud Player

When Marney signs he will be a first team player and then we will have cover for every position, until Francis leaves that is. OTBC.

[quote]Just as a diversion to the Francis theme, my ratings on current players, good enough, squad player or no good to club: Greeno - Good enough / Ward - Squad / Lewis - Squad Drury Good enough / Shac...[/quote]

I do broadly agree with your ratings with the following comments, based on playing champs football.

Charlton - is good enough IMO but would not start him as I want to give youth a go.

Doc       - is probably a squad player rather than no good

LJ         - unsure until have seen him; not the same impact as Colin so you are probably right

Jarrett   - has played well with Wigan and so should be good enough, who knows yet?

Hughes  - a late night miss - squad player only for me. 

Brennan - has performed adequately in champs before so is a squad player

Hendo    - as a midfielder - no good, as a striker squad - just.

Thorne   - with his goal record he has to be good enough, especially as 3rd choice.

I am very happy with the players we have and to be honest would swap few  - I would just like a bit more depth in midfield than we currently have... and for the coaching staff to have found a system that makes our defence more solid..

OTBC

I would tend to agree more with Zippers analysis but I would like to know what everyone is basing their assessments of the new players on?  Especially players like Colin, I am not denying he will be good but we have no evidence except a couple of friendlies against lesser opponents and the fact he played for PSV.  That is no grounds for rating a player, Cedric Anselin played in a Uefa Cup final for Bordeaux but he hardly took this league by storm.

I have a question, of the other squads in this league, who''s would you swap for ours?

This the team that took us top of the league at Portman Road in December 2003

Starting XI
 1.Green, Robert
 5.Fleming, Craig
 4.MacKay, Malky
 17.Edworthy, Marc
 3.Drury, Adam
 8.Holt, Gary
 7.Mulryne, Phil
 14.McKenzie, Leon
 19.Svensson, Mathias
 18.McVeigh, Paul
 22.Henderson, Ian
 Substitutes
 12.Crichton, Paul
 11.Brennan, Jim
 20.Francis, Damien
 23.Jarvis, Ryan
 9.Roberts, Iwan

Now ap

[quote]I would tend to agree more with Zippers analysis but I would like to know what everyone is basing their assessments of the new players on? Especially players like Colin, I am not denying he will be g...[/quote]

Personally I would not swap our squad for anyones, as I have posted before if the metal approach and tactis are right we will get promoted with this squad.

As far as assessing new signings for Thorne, Jarrett and Hughes I have seen enough of them over the last three years to know them.  L-J & Colin I have based these on the friendlies in absence of anything else but it is really a case of wait and see how they turn out.

OTBC 

Hi all

Looking at the above posts it seems that people are banking on our premiership stars Huckerby, Ashton, McKenvie, Green, Safri and Drury to help gain us promotion. I admit they certainly seperate us from the rest of the championship. However, I think championship sides this year will have learnt about our star players.

I think alot of the season will depend on the so called fringe squad players. The championship is a long hard season. We all know that Huckerby, Safri and now Ashton suffer regular niggly injures that can potential keep them out for weeks at a time.

The jury is out on the unknown quantities that are our new signings. All of them Colin, Jarrett, Louis-Jean, Thorne and Hughes were not premiership players, and some those that have championship experience hardly set the league on fire last year. How long will it take them to gel with the team and get used to Worthinton''s style of play. Colin looks a bargain but so did Helveg last year. Although Helveg did put in some quality performances these came after a significant time to climatise to pace and aggression of British football.

We have some good youngsters such as Shacknell, Henderson and Jarvis. However, they are inexperienced and lack a strong physical presence. I agree that Shacknell should be in the first team but he will not play every game this season. It is too much to ask of somebody so young and inexperienced.

Then that brings us to those people whom people don''t really like or perhaps think are not good enough for Norwich.
- Francis, he is loathed at the moment but is not beyond redemption. If he puts his head down plays the football we know he''s capable of and dominates the midfield. Then that will make a huge difference to our season.
- McVeigh, a man who nearly dissappeared but has good pace and knows how to find the back of net in this league.
- Brennan, a real unknown quantity! Can score great goals, can play in defence and midfield.
- Doherty a player with all the attibuted to be a rock solid central defender and dangerous on set pieces.
- Simon Charlton, perhaps the perfect captain in the side. Outspoken and intelligent. Another player that can be used in different positions.

Out championship campign is not dependent on those premiership stars but the quality of back-up in the squad. I think most of out fringe players would walk into any other championship side. The omens look good. Though a few more quality signings would certainly help.

Hi all

Looking at the above posts it seems that people are banking on our premiership stars Huckerby, Ashton, McKenvie, Green, Safri and Drury to help gain us promotion. I admit they certainly seperate us from the rest of the championship. However, I think championship sides this year will have learnt about our star players.

I think alot of the season will depend on the so called fringe squad players. The championship is a long hard season. We all know that Huckerby, Safri and now Ashton suffer regular niggly injures that can potential keep them out for weeks at a time.

The jury is out on the unknown quantities that are our new signings. All of them Colin, Jarrett, Louis-Jean, Thorne and Hughes were not premiership players, and some those that have championship experience hardly set the league on fire last year. How long will it take them to gel with the team and get used to Worthinton''s style of play. Colin looks a bargain but so did Helveg last year. Although Helveg did put in some quality performances these came after a significant time to climatise to pace and aggression of British football.

We have some good youngsters such as Shacknell, Henderson and Jarvis. However, they are inexperienced and lack a strong physical presence. I agree that Shacknell should be in the first team but he will not play every game this season. It is too much to ask of somebody so young and inexperienced.

Then that brings us to those people whom people don''t really like or perhaps think are not good enough for Norwich.
- Francis, he is loathed at the moment but is not beyond redemption. If he puts his head down plays the football we know he''s capable of and dominates the midfield. Then that will make a huge difference to our season.
- McVeigh, a man who nearly dissappeared but has good pace and knows how to find the back of net in this league.
- Brennan, a real unknown quantity! Can score great goals, can play in defence and midfield.
-Doherty a player with all the attibuted to be a rock solid central defender and dangerous on set pieces.
-Simon Charlton, perhaps the perfect captain in the side. Outspoken and intelligent. Another player that can be used in different positions.

Out championship campign is not dependent on those premiership stars but the quality of back-up in the squad. I think most of out fringe players would walk into any other championship side. The omens look good. Though a few more quality signings would certainly help.