Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Bournemouth/Watford

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Both signed more new players this week, whilst we struggle to get any, why is this ?[/quote]Because we don''t need as many. The vast majority of our senior squad have plenty of Premier League experience already.

Watford are going to struggle to fit all these players in and get them to gel. They''ve added 10 new players, you can only register 25 in the Premier League and 8 of those have to be considered ''home grown'' by English teams. Lots of players who got them up are going to be pushed out.

I share CanaryKing concern.

I fear we are being left behind in getting the extra two AN has stated he requires. WHY? If the haggle over the price with Hull over weeks, then at the end having to pay them almost what they asked for is any indications of how we try and do everything on the cheap....then we may well miss our targets. For goodness sake we are now a PL club and if we want quality players we have to pay PL prices. Look what''s at stake if we stay up this season......

Other clubs seem to be on the ball more than us. Gradell to Bournemouth today, this is on their 11,000 gates!!

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]I share CanaryKing concern.

I fear we are being left behind in getting the extra two AN has stated he requires. WHY? If the haggle over the price with Hull over weeks, then at the end having to pay them almost what they asked for is any indications of how we try and do everything on the cheap....then we may well miss our targets. For goodness sake we are now a PL club and if we want quality players we have to pay PL prices. Look what''s at stake if we stay up this season......

Other clubs seem to be on the ball more than us. Gradell to Bournemouth today, this is on their 11,000 gates!![/quote]I get the thing about what''s at stake financially if we stay up this season, but look at how much QPR spunked in transfer fees and wages and then got relegated anyway. AN seems largely happy with the balance of the squad, and given the success he had with them in the second half of last season, who are we to doubt him? The players we have already are good enough to be competitive in this division, and if we can supplement them with one or two more quality signings, all the better.

[quote user="Bradwell canary"]Gradell to Bournemouth today, this is on their 11,000 gates!![/quote]

No it''s not, their gates have nothing to do with it.

[quote user="CANARYKING"]Both signed more new players this week, whilst we struggle to get any, why is this ?[/quote]

We are a team they are a group of individuals just as QPR were last year. Had we have beaten Ipswich twice 3 - 0 last year you would have been telling us that they were years behind us. That''s how we demolished Watford so they needed surely loads of new players just to be able to compete.

Let''s see if they don''t stay up how quickly they slide into administration and league 1. I am confident that should we suffer that fate ( not they I expect us to ) we will be straight back.

We were told we were going to sign quality not quantity this window so the number of signings is not a worry .

What is a worry is Imo we have not signed any quality .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]We were told we were going to sign quality not quantity this window so the number of signings is not a worry . What is a worry is Imo we have not signed any quality .[/quote]

When were we told that and by whom?

[quote user="TCCANARY"]

[quote user="CanaryOne"]We were told we were going to sign quality not quantity this window so the number of signings is not a worry . What is a worry is Imo we have not signed any quality .[/quote]

When were we told that and by whom?

[/quote]

From an article on the EDP on the 11th June

" City released the likes of Luciano Becchio,Javier Garrido and Mark Bunn following promotion and McNally confirmed Alex Neil is looking for quality not quantity in his summer recruitment drive " .

[quote user="CanaryOne"]We were told we were going to sign quality not quantity this window so the number of signings is not a worry .

What is a worry is Imo we have not signed any quality .[/quote]Dorrans, Mulumbu, Brady are good quality. Wisdom could be quality given a run of games. Kean unknown.

[quote user="Herman "][quote user="CanaryOne"]We were told we were going to sign quality not quantity this window so the number of signings is not a worry .

What is a worry is Imo we have not signed any quality .[/quote]Dorrans, Mulumbu, Brady are good quality. Wisdom could be quality given a run of games. Kean unknown.[/quote]Afraid we will have to disagree on whats quality and whats not then . Why would WBA a regular in the relegation battles release not one but two quality players ? because they feel they are not good enough for them maybe ? . Wisdom is a Liverpool reserve who as you say may end up being quality but in the here and now he is not and WBA fans thought he was pretty poor . Brady , our standout summer purchase hardly had a queue of top flight clubs chasing his signature did he ? now would you not agree that a quality player at a paltry £7 million fee should have attracted a few more suitors ? .They all to me look slightly better than we had but in terms of the Premiership very very average , and thats why most neutral pundits are tipping us for relegation .

Some players don''t fit in to a new managers way of playing and tend to get moved on. Brady was chased by other teams but we were his first choice. (Hooli to thank?) Most neutral pundits know FA about teams below the top 6 or so, so I don''t tend to listen to their opinions without a tub of salt handy.

Again i will have to disagree.

Dorrans - likes to play the ball on the floor and is not 6ft 3+ plus. Its no secret Stoke fans hated Pulis'' philosophy ala hoofball.

Mulumbu - again fan forums were strongly against his release. With most saying he was a class act and suprised by his release. Especially with Pulis allowing Dorrans on loan in the first place as he had Mulumbu coming back from the African Cup of Nations.

Wisdom - funny how Liverpool gave the lad a 5yr contract. Cant be that great then when they release him on a free next year.

Brady - a lot of Hull fans best player. Gutted that he left. Ok he''s only played one game, albeit a friendly. But looked a class act. In my opinion

Kean - solid enough back up

A key characteristic of an outstanding team is that it''s greater than the sum of its parts.

Nuff Said

Think you''re both right in a way.

We needed a LM because we haven''t got one so this position needed to be filled with quality. Brady shone along with Chester in Hull''s relegation season.

We needed competition for Tettey (who was fantastic last season) which came in the form of Mulumbu. This position isn''t where we should be spending most of our money because of the quality we already have in midfield.

The signing of Wisdom is the only troubling one. Perhaps he''s coming in to just replace Turner who''s likely to go out (imo) because he''s just had a poor season with West Brom in which the fans didn''t like him in the first half of the season, then the manager didn''t like him either in the next part. Strange signing.

The ''quality'' is largely still to come, but as reports suggest (Mbokani) we are on the look out. I''d rather be in our position knowing that we''ve got money to spend on a couple of good players (the latest rumour that a bid has been made for Quintero is very encouraging) than in Watford''s case of spending all their money on largely average foreign players.

[quote user="Hackedoff"]Again i will have to disagree.

Dorrans - likes to play the ball on the floor and is not 6ft 3+ plus. Its no secret Stoke fans hated Pulis'' philosophy ala hoofball.

Mulumbu - again fan forums were strongly against his release. With most saying he was a class act and suprised by his release. Especially with Pulis allowing Dorrans on loan in the first place as he had Mulumbu coming back from the African Cup of Nations.

Wisdom - funny how Liverpool gave the lad a 5yr contract. Cant be that great then when they release him on a free next year.

Brady - a lot of Hull fans best player. Gutted that he left. Ok he''s only played one game, albeit a friendly. But looked a class act. In my opinion

Kean - solid enough back up[/quote]I think it is a four-year contract and he has been loaned to us by Liverpool for the season rather than released on a free transfer.

Purple is right, and the WBA fans may grumble because he fell out with Pullis.

It doesn''t stop him being quality, it means he perhaps isn''t proven quality.

As others have said, I was happy with the 5-6 players we were told we would need at the end of last season.

Dorrans and Mulumbu are fantastic signings, especially when you consider we only paid £3million (rumoured) for Dorrans and Mulumbu on a free. I think I am right in remembering that Dorrans was one of WBA''s highest assists? Mulumbu shone against Brentford, a real cut above Tettey, his distribution is much better and his ability to get involved going forward, damned shame he''s injured now.

Kean has bags of potential, injury has prevented him from realising that up until now but as a back up keeper he is more promising than the one Watford have signed who is 26 and played only a handful of games.

For me, the one that matters is the striker. Mbokani could be the real deal. And if we get him for as little as the rumoured £4.5million he could also prove to be a bargain. It is an ''if'' but staying up, as proven with Dean Ashton not being bought in the summer, requires goals.

Its unfair to judge a player based on fans views at a club he is loaned out at. After all, that Harry Kane was rubbish here wasnt he....

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Afraid we will have to disagree on whats quality and whats not then . Why would WBA a regular in the relegation battles release not one but two quality players ? because they feel they are not good enough for them maybe ? . Wisdom is a Liverpool reserve who as you say may end up being quality but in the here and now he is not and WBA fans thought he was pretty poor . Brady , our standout summer purchase hardly had a queue of top flight clubs chasing his signature did he ? now would you not agree that a quality player at a paltry £7 million fee should have attracted a few more suitors ? .They all to me look slightly better than we had but in terms of the Premiership very very average , and thats why most neutral pundits are tipping us for relegation .[/quote]
You appear to be a glass-half-empty kind of person. Another way of looking at it is that these are two players with several years'' experience of successfully keeping their team in the top flight. As others have pointed out, there are many possible reasons why they are now deemed surplus to requirements; some negative (their performances have been steadily declining), some more positive (they just didn''t suit the new manager''s style or WBA can now afford to replace them with players of even higher quality, having spent several consecutive seasons in the top tier now).
To address one of your other points, if player x has "a queue of top flight clubs chasing his signature" is there any particular reason why you think he would choose a newly-promoted club over a more established team?