Sign in to follow this  
eddie1

Is our new striker on the way here ?

Unless RVW or Hooper moves then we''ll either be getting someone cheap or we''ll gamble on sticking with what we already have.

As Purple Canary points out Indy Bones the main stumbling block isn''t the associated fee, but more the fact the player names you keep mentioning are well beyond Norwich''s pull - they will continue to be beyond Norwich for at least the next 3 or 4 seasons as well, and that is assuming the club remain in the Premier League.

Yes, Norwich will have pots of cash soon and will be able to double the wages players are on at other European clubs, but other Premier League clubs will also be in that position. Players have also consistently shown they aren''t ''just about the money'' - many turn down moves to rich Premier League clubs to stay with more prestigious but poorer teams. If the only thing players cared about was money they''d all be in the Qatari league or China earning massive pots of it.

Norwich will have to pick up rough diamonds, or players that bigger clubs have overlooked for some reason. Mbokani represents that perfectly, often linked with teams in the Premier League, but they have passed for one reason or another - it seems like Norwich will finally give him the chance in England. If it works out then it will be a master stroke and a bargain, if it doesn''t then the ''told you so'' brigade will be out in full force. Won''t certainly won''t be happing is Norwich picking up Aboubakar or Batshuayi as these are some of the most sought after young strikers in Europe right now.

People will say ''Swansea managed to sign Bony, we could have done that!'' but Bony said he turned down other clubs who made him offers as they weren''t playing in Europe and Swansea were (they also paid £12m so it isn''t like they picked him up for a pittance).

I think everyone wants Norwich to have exciting, brilliant young players - but the club just don''t have that appeal right now. Get established in the League, qualify for the Europa League and then there is a chance the club can sign these kinds of names.

Mbokani is strong and technically gifted, I saw him play 4 Anderlecht while I was in Belgium 4 work. A real handfull and two footed. I don''t understand the negativity on here as him and Jerome together would be a real handfull!!! I saw a full 90 mins, which is more than most of the posters on here. He weighs on a defence, ....

Then again, we shouldn,t be paying in excess of the 8m barrier either! He''s good but ... 8m...nah....

There have been lots of different prices mentioned, depending on which source you look at. For me, the most reliable has been RTBF, the Belgian state media, who said Norwich want to pay €6m, whilst Kiev wanted €12m (hence Norwich walking away). It was also reported in Belgium that Kiev would be prepared to take €8m after no one had shown any interest in Mbokani at the higher price (not surprising).

When rumours are being knocked about in Euros people will often just change it to pounds without converting it - €8m = £5.6m at the moment (the Greece crisis has made it a great time to shop on the continent) - although as a Ukrainian club they don''t use the Euro apparently their foreign players are still paid in Euros (the Ukrainian Hryvnia has been too volatile in the past for their agent''s liking).

I doubt whether anyone is really knows for sure how much Norwich are prepared to bid and how much Kiev want - they paid €10m for Mbokani a couple of season ago and still owe Anderlecht a lot of that - so will want enough to cover that cost at least. I imagine the €8m is about right, and £5.6m seems a fair amount for the player to me.

Press in Belgium reported that Dynamo were asking 12 m - 14m Euros...that''s about 8,5-10 million..http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/dmf20150625_01749189

ROBFLECK wrote the following post at 04/08/2015 9:36 AM:

Mbokani is strong and technically gifted, I saw him play 4 Anderlecht while I was in Belgium 4 work. A real handfull and two footed. I don''t understand the negativity on here as him and Jerome together would be a real handfull!!! I saw a full 90 mins, which is more than most of the posters on here. He weighs on a defence, ....

Then again, we shouldn,t be paying in excess of the 8m barrier either! He''s good but ... 8m...nah....

Good to see a post from someone who as actually seen him play, sounds like the sort of striker that could do a good job up front on his own.

My calculations are similar to Bethnal''s here. Early in the window we were said to have bid around £4.5m (6.3m euros) and Kiev wanted £5.7m (8m euros). My guess would be that a deal has been reached somewhere between those figures if it''s true that Mbokani is over here now. That would be a very good deal IMO.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]I hope a new striker is on his way here, and I really hope it''s NOT Mbokani...[/quote]

Really like who? And for around £4million too? Would you have rather had Lambert for £3million at age 33?[/quote]I don''t really want any of the striker options we''ve been linked to for around 4 million (unless we get some wonder deal on a player worth 2/3 times that amount), I''d much rather we put more money into the position and bought a genuinely talented younger player, preferably one who''s performed reasonably well in the top 2-3 leagues if possible.Mitrovic who just signed for Newcastle would have been the sort of player I''d have liked, as would Batshuayi who''s been linked with Spurs, as would Aboubakar from Porto, and there''s a number of other strong options as well.The only stumbling block is that the players I''d like would probably break the transfer record we paid for RvW, and I doubt we''re going to do that anytime soon...[/quote]I am not sure that is true. But it isn''t the only stumbling block. A much more relevant problem is that a talented player from one of the top two or three European leagues won''t come to Norwich City. Or Watford or Bournemouth probably. They will sign for one of the top eight clubs with a chance of European competition, or at least a big-city club they have heard of, such as Newcastle United, or even Aston Villa.[/quote]

Cabaye to Palace?

Cabaye went as he has a very good relationship with Pardew. Also, Purple did mention that the ''big-city club'' will have more pull.

Also, Palace are about to start their third season in the Prem, that is when it is possible to start bringing in slightly bigger names (as Norwich did with RVW and Fer).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Cabaye went as he has a very good relationship with Pardew. Also, Purple did mention that the ''big-city club'' will have more pull.

Also, Palace are about to start their third season in the Prem, that is when it is possible to start bringing in slightly bigger names (as Norwich did with RVW and Fer).[/quote]Thanks, Bethnal - saved me pointing that out! The other factor - not just generally in terms of the quality of player Indy Bones thinks we can attract but perhaps specifically with Cabaye - is wages, of course. Two seasons ago Palace''s wage bill was only £8m below ours, despite it being our third season in a row in the Premier League and it being Palace''s first. It is highly likely their wage bill for this season will be ahead of ours.

Trabzonspor are close to signing Hull''s N''Doye ... They were the club reported to have been rivalling us for Mbokani - have they conceded that he''s destined for Carrow Road?!

New article suggesting the price is £6m for Mbokani:

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/457431/Norwich-City-Dieumerci-Mbokani-Dynamo-Kiev-Alex-Neil

probably just made up (the figure) but it does seem the deal is back on now.

Interesting to now see us being linked with Quintero from Porto (Aboubakar''s teammate), probably another player that many would have laughed off as unrealistic as well........

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Cabaye went as he has a very good relationship with Pardew. Also, Purple did mention that the ''big-city club'' will have more pull.

Also, Palace are about to start their third season in the Prem, that is when it is possible to start bringing in slightly bigger names (as Norwich did with RVW and Fer).[/quote]

RVW is a big name but Fer is a lot shorter.

Also, Palace are about to start their third season in the Prem, that is when it is possible to start bringing in slightly bigger names (as Norwich did with RVW and Fer).[/quote]

A "big-city club" like Watford?

Indy_Bones, I''m not sure if you''re trying to be flippant with your comment or that you truly believe we can compete for the likes of Aboubakar, but the comparison you''ve made is like someone suggesting we go for Berainho as we''ve signed West Brom teammate Graham Dorrans, or bring in Jordan Henderson from Liverpool because Andre Wisdom''s joined us.

[quote user="Legend Iwan"]Indy_Bones, I''m not sure if you''re trying to be flippant with your comment or that you truly believe we can compete for the likes of Aboubakar, but the comparison you''ve made is like someone suggesting we go for Berainho as we''ve signed West Brom teammate Graham Dorrans, or bring in Jordan Henderson from Liverpool because Andre Wisdom''s joined us.[/quote]Actually, in the last post I made ref Quintero, I was merely pointing out that he was a teammate of another player who I''d suggested, and that beforehand, either player would probably have been laughed off as unrealistic, yet here we are supposedly linked with one of them (even if it''s nothing more than paper talk etc).I also put ZERO stock in the ridiculous ''buyout clause'' values attached to players in Spain/Portugal, because they are simply a mandatory inclusion in a contract, and very rarely do clubs pay anywhere near these values except when it''s an outstanding player and the buying club is willing to pay the amount listed to guarantee an offer be accepted. As an example, CR7 apparently has a 1 BILLION euro buyout clause, yet if a team like Man Utd turned up at Real tomorrow offering around 100 million, then chances are that they''d sell and the certainly wouldn''t be demaning an additional 900 million on top to make it happen!

I''d disagree, Indy_Bones, with your assessment that Quintero would be laughed off in the same way as your suggestion of Aboubakar.

While there would be the usual guff about playing FM from those who aren''t interested in football outside of England, the two players are not in same league and, as such, would be considered differently.

Quintero may have been linked to big sides in the past, yet his lack of move to any of those clubs combined with a reduction in playing time and a possible loan to Bologna indicates he''s not a future prospect that Aboubkar is.

I think we''re splitting hairs here LI,I think most fans feel that either player is unrealistic (although it''s pretty fair to argue that Aboubakar is the more unrealistic of the two), but either way, the suggestions generally would be laughed off, and whilst there are concerns that Quintero cannot maintain and acheive the full potential he''s previously shown, I genuinely believe that under the mentorship of a manager like AN, he could get back on track and get pretty damn close to where he could be, which can only be good for us and him if that''s the case.