Sign in to follow this  
eddie1

Is our new striker on the way here ?

Pictures on twitter of mbokani at airport with bags clearly going somewhere. While his team are away at a championship so on the move somewhere. We''ve been heavily linked with him and would be the choice of strikers from who we''ve been linked with fingers crossed

Let''s hope so, we have Jerome and very little else up front on the evidence of this pre-season. It''s him or Andre G for me with the preference on the former.

I find it strange how we have an abundance of options in the midfield area but haven''t addressed the most important two areas on the pitch - certainly as far as the premier league is concerned.

If we''d have won the Championship I wouldn''t be so concerned but we didn''t, letting in some truly awful goals and failing to break down some truly average defences in the process.

[quote user="ruthers1"]Let''s hope so, we have Jerome and very little else up front on the evidence of this pre-season. It''s him or Andre G for me with the preference on the former.

I find it strange how we have an abundance of options in the midfield area but haven''t addressed the most important two areas on the pitch - certainly as far as the premier league is concerned.

If we''d have won the Championship I wouldn''t be so concerned but we didn''t, letting in some truly awful goals and failing to break down some truly average defences in the process.[/quote]
For balance, can you confirm that Bournemouth and Watford didn''t let in any truly awful goals or fail to break down any truly average defences over the course of the season?

There''s this now (as well as DEB''s below):

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieuws/lees/2015-08-03/mbokani-eindelijk-op-weg-naar-zijn-droomcompetitie

Dieumerci Mbokani has been dreaming of for years to go in the English Premier League to work. And that step might just be soon to follow.

Norwich City is in fact interested in the former Congolese striker of Anderlecht. The presidents of his current employer Dinamo Kiev and the English researcher soon sit down together, writes HNB .

An earlier offer of six million of the Canaries was already rejected by the Ukrainians, who want 12 million. A final sum between supply and demand should be given the Golden Boot in 2012 ended in the PL.

Ah, but Watford and Bournemouth have spent the summer buying a series of proven PL defenders....haven''t they?

Fact is, most goals at any level are from ropey defending - we actually let in relatively few goals after AN took over, 19 in 24 games, I think. We could do with improving, obviously, but it is clear that people do only see the bad in some of our players.

Mbokani has a Belgian passport so no work permit problems.

Belgian press (where the story originated) suggest negotiations still ongoing and a very large difference in offer and demands. Could all collapse yet.

Could be a very effective striker in the PL, certainly won''t be pushed around by defenders.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I hope a new striker is on his way here, and I really hope it''s NOT Mbokani...[/quote]

Really like who? And for around £4million too? Would you have rather had Lambert for £3million at age 33?

It''s not just resale, say he turns out to be a hit, say he wants to stay with us for a good three seasons? You can''t say that of Lambert who is into his last couple of years of top flight footy at best.

[quote user="Colourful Canary"]The metro article gives Mbokani''s first name as "Dieudonne"......I thought it was "Dieumerci" [/quote]

So either god gives or thank god?   

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="Colourful Canary"]The metro article gives Mbokani''s first name as "Dieudonne"......I thought it was "Dieumerci" [/quote]

So either god gives or thank god?   

[/quote]That''s right – and his name is definitely Dieumerci. I think the Metro has rather embarrassingly confused him with controversial French comedian Dieudonne M''Bala M''Bala, he of ''quenelle'' infamy...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I hope a new striker is on his way here, and I really hope it''s NOT Mbokani...[/quote]All the more reason to sign him then Indy, you didn''t want Alex Neil either! [;)]

"For balance, can you confirm that Bournemouth and Watford didn''t let in any truly awful goals or fail to break down any truly average defences over the course of the season?"

No. I don''t need to know whether they did or didn''t Chip, & neither do I care much either.

I''m only concerned about us and our preparations. Our sole objective for the forthcoming season is to prove there are THREE worse teams than us because even if we finish above Watford and Bournemouth we may still get relegated.

Let''s be honest he''s a gamble pretty much like any striker outside the premiership.

I don''t hold out much hope that he''ll be a success based on the fact better striker than him find this league hard, but just on the odd occasion one comes in and has a blinding season, we can only hope.

We need a striker and CB we still have 5 strikers who will be on premiership wages without a new boy so our budget and attraction won''t compete for Benzema.

Hopefully this might lead to the departure of a couple in Laffs and Hooper or RVW.

Not really upset nor excited by this one should he come here.

Another translated article backing tyhe Mbokani rumour:

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...govorilsya-s-norvich-siti_152230/&prev=search

Looks like there could be something in it.

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]I hope a new striker is on his way here, and I really hope it''s NOT Mbokani...[/quote]

Really like who? And for around £4million too? Would you have rather had Lambert for £3million at age 33?[/quote]I don''t really want any of the striker options we''ve been linked to for around 4 million (unless we get some wonder deal on a player worth 2/3 times that amount), I''d much rather we put more money into the position and bought a genuinely talented younger player, preferably one who''s performed reasonably well in the top 2-3 leagues if possible.Mitrovic who just signed for Newcastle would have been the sort of player I''d have liked, as would Batshuayi who''s been linked with Spurs, as would Aboubakar from Porto, and there''s a number of other strong options as well.The only stumbling block is that the players I''d like would probably break the transfer record we paid for RvW, and I doubt we''re going to do that anytime soon...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]I hope a new striker is on his way here, and I really hope it''s NOT Mbokani...[/quote]

Really like who? And for around £4million too? Would you have rather had Lambert for £3million at age 33?[/quote]I don''t really want any of the striker options we''ve been linked to for around 4 million (unless we get some wonder deal on a player worth 2/3 times that amount), I''d much rather we put more money into the position and bought a genuinely talented younger player, preferably one who''s performed reasonably well in the top 2-3 leagues if possible.Mitrovic who just signed for Newcastle would have been the sort of player I''d have liked, as would Batshuayi who''s been linked with Spurs, as would Aboubakar from Porto, and there''s a number of other strong options as well.The only stumbling block is that the players I''d like would probably break the transfer record we paid for RvW, and I doubt we''re going to do that anytime soon...[/quote]
And the fact that the first two players you''ve suggested, one has signed for Newcastle (who we''re unlikely to be able to compete with in either finance or club stature) and one is linked with Spurs, where the same applies, but even more so.

First impressions on watching a video of his 13 goals, he is a powerful finisher and has great feet - totally fixed defenders in his runs at goal. Would love to see him do that for us in the Prem

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="chicken"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]I hope a new striker is on his way here, and I really hope it''s NOT Mbokani...[/quote]

Really like who? And for around £4million too? Would you have rather had Lambert for £3million at age 33?[/quote]I don''t really want any of the striker options we''ve been linked to for around 4 million (unless we get some wonder deal on a player worth 2/3 times that amount), I''d much rather we put more money into the position and bought a genuinely talented younger player, preferably one who''s performed reasonably well in the top 2-3 leagues if possible.Mitrovic who just signed for Newcastle would have been the sort of player I''d have liked, as would Batshuayi who''s been linked with Spurs, as would Aboubakar from Porto, and there''s a number of other strong options as well.The only stumbling block is that the players I''d like would probably break the transfer record we paid for RvW, and I doubt we''re going to do that anytime soon...[/quote]I am not sure that is true. But it isn''t the only stumbling block. A much more relevant problem is that a talented player from one of the top two or three European leagues won''t come to Norwich City. Or Watford or Bournemouth probably. They will sign for one of the top eight clubs with a chance of European competition, or at least a big-city club they have heard of, such as Newcastle United, or even Aston Villa.