Sign in to follow this  
James Kent

Ricky still has a future

Well, everybody has a future. It''s just not always necessarily the one you''re hoping for.

Ricky''s toast, we just need a taker.

Had his chances in pre season and didn''t take them. Last in the pecking order I would assume

[quote user="AJ"]Had his chances in pre season and didn''t take them. Last in the pecking order I would assume[/quote]

Sure, but the best thing for him is to take the opportunities as and when they arise.

What else is the manager going to say?

If we are unable to move him (or hooper - both as as surplus to requirements as lafferty) on he will remain at the club & could be called up; you will need both of them to feel motivated if needed.

Last in the pecking order? Probably - but both previous managers have just about had a preference for RvW over Hooper - that could continue.

Whether both get named in the 25 man squad is likely to be the key moment.

If there isn''t space in the 25 then I don''t think AN''s balls have anything to do with it.

If there is space then leaving him out would be stupid.

There is nothing new in the Mirror story, just rehashing some old quotes and a manager being diplomatic - he hardly gives Ricky ringing endorsement.

I don''t want to see him in there because of his cost to the club, if he''s not good enough he should be left out and sent a clear message about where he stands.

I don''t think the message could be any clearer when Norwich accepted an offer from Sporting - leaving him out of the 25 is cutting your nose off to spite your face. Serves no purpose to anyone and everyone loses out. It''s not like the club can stop paying him just because he isn''t in the 25.

There could be an injury crisis and Ricky being left the only fit striker, but AN can''t play him because he ''was sending a clear message''.

On Saturday, we are likely to play one up front. That ''one'' will be either Grabban or Jerome, with the other being a substitute. I would envisage that Hooper would be the other striker we would also put on the bench.

That essentially means that Ricky I doubt will even make the 18 on Saturday. Can a club like Norwich City honestly justify paying a player £35-40k a week when he''s not even making the squad?

Neil isn''t a fool and he isn''t going to hang Ricky out to dry in the press by saying he''s got no future here. But the fact that we accepted a bid from Sporting Lisbon tells you everything we need to know. We''re actively trying to get to him off the books. For many of the reasons outlined above.

The point I''m making Bethnal, not clearly enough, is that AN should not be put in a position by the club where he has to include Ricky in the squad simply because we have invested so much money in him. I hope if he is faced with that situation he has the balls to stand up and refuse to include him.

An alternative striker should be brought in to complete the squad if AN doesn''t believe Ricky is up to the job.Im not suggesting we should just leave a gap, as you say this would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Agree with that Vanwink, but financial realities probably dictate that with RvW still here then other, large wage signings, just aren''t possible.

Things should get moving quicker towards the end of the transfer window, and I wouldn''t be surprised is SCP come back in with another offer - less favourable for Norwich but better for the player. Also when the European Qualification rounds are finished some clubs will find themselves with considerably larger budgets and will look to add a player or two - hopefully one of them fancies Ricky.

Of just as much concern for me is Lafferty, who looks equally hopeless as Ricky and with even less interest in him.

Lafferty is an odd one, based on what he does for his national side you would have expected there to be some interest.

While hooper has interest but not from a club that can afford his wages.   All three need to be gone,  they arae wounds they need cauterizing from a fans perspective.

Not sure about Hooper, think he is one AN will want to keep as he offers something very different to Jerome/Grabban and potentially Mbokani. Norwich aren''t going to make that many changes to squad from here on out, so I suspect Hooper to be around come Sept 1st.

Sadly, watching the West Ham has catapulted me back to my senses. I for some reason thought things may be different.

Any decision to put RVW into your 25 would not be for footballing reasons.

If there was one spot in the 25 left I would choose Andreu (a midfielder) over RVW. Because with Andreu an unknown quality, there''s a chance he could surprise you and make the grade. With RVW you already know there is no chance.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Of just as much concern for me is Lafferty, who looks equally hopeless as Ricky and with even less interest in him.[/quote]Lower wages, one would presume, and Kyle actually offers a different dimension to anyone else on the books. If Mbokani comes in then that would seal his fate, and I''m pretty sure a Championship club would benefit from his size and aggression. Otherwise, he could potentially offer more of a benefit that RVW – even if it''s just for 20 minutes at the end of games, he''d be one hell of a nuisance to opposition centre-halves. Don''t judge him on a handful of games on the left wing – all it takes is a prodigious leap or a smart lay-off, and he could actually play a decent cameo role for us this season.

I''m of the opinion that Lafferty would be the first out the door, he was a walking card magnet and complete liability when played this season (even if you can''t really fault his effort), he would then probably be followed by RvW (who I still rate), but who realistically isn''t going to fit into our current system and truthfully I can''t see AN changing it enough to accomodate him, which then leaves Hooper, who in some ways is in a similar situation to RvW in that we don''t setup in the way that really gets the best from him, but he probably has the best resale value of the three.If it was me in charge, I''d keep RvW and Hooper, look to move on Lafferty and Grabban (controversial I know) and bring in another promising young striker, but I guess that''s why AN''s in charge and not me [;)]

The way I read the article was that AN sounded like he would rather him move on, like someone said before, due to the ''at the moment phrase''. At the moment it''s only RvW deciding to stay here due to his personal terms disagreement with Sporting.

In regards to the 25 man squad, if AN doesn''t want him in it, he won''t put him in it. And I don''t think David McNally, would try and influence him to do differently. You can''t have somebody in your squad just for value for money! (A phrase that has never been used for RvW)

Finally, in the mini RvW v Lafferty debate going on, surely it''s Lafferty every time isn''t it? At least there''s some desire and anger there, height and strength and the absence of a massive human-shaped bung clogging up the wage bill. RvW has no first touch, no dribbling ability, no strength, no pace and falls over his own feet at every given opportunity. Frankly, people are only still believing in him from his price tag, watching videos on YouTube and I''m assuming by not going to the games and watching his performances.

At the end of the day, there is still a good player in there somewhere and he is not one to rock the boat so while he is on the books we should keep him motivated and happy. We might yet need him.

Regardless, he has a value, namely €5m so it would be foolish to sell him short in a nothing interview.