Sign in to follow this  
ruthers1

Which clubs have we ever beaten to a player's signature?!

None, it rarely - if ever happens.

In fact I can''t think of a single player we''ve ever snatched from under the noses of a rival club.

If we sign someone its invariably because we dont''t need to outbid anyone else - ie because we''re the only club in for them.

So stop wasting your time talking about this fancy Dan and that fancy Dan player because fancy Dans have many suitors and we won''t get involved in any of that. No Siree.

It''s always a player with no choices to make for an undisclosed fee.

What a shame nobody else was in for our Ricky at the time eh?!!

We do our business on the quiet, so we don''t know - and most clubs are exactly the same. What goes on behind the scenes should stay there - and there is probably a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between clubs. That said, one we definitely did from under the noses of a rival was Ryan Bennett.

I seem to remember hearing that Ryan Bennett was literally on his way to Swansea before we poached him.

I can imagine that it would be difficult for a newly promoted club to compete with more established teams - especially when we are targeting ''British based players'' who are more in demand.

My point is that if you read/hear that we are in for a certain player and team B and team C are also interested - you can forget it. End of.

Well, we beat Hull to Brady''s signature for a starters.

But then we''d likely beat most Championship clubs to any player at the moment, but not too many Premier League clubs at the moment.

For all sorts of reasons the, Canary need feed off crumbs from the top table.

That''s our lot at the moment, but we are surely on course to improve upon this.

Survival this season is crucial, then Trill will be on the menu every day, or at least Tesco''s own brand.

I see the sticks are coming out to beat the club with before a ball has been kicked this season.

My guess is, that in reality, we will never know the answer to this question.

Why? Because the majority of transfer headlines we read are either made up by the player''s agents, the media or these days even social media.

We will read that five EPL sides were/are interested when in reality only one club was/is, pretty obvious really, which is why I never get excited about transfers until I see those original pictures with our new player either wearing or holding a City shirt.

I wonder which clubs we beat to the signature of....."The Wolf" ???

So basically we have beaten other clubs to player''s signatures. Is the op just moaning for the sake of it?

It''s not about beating other clubs to players who want £££££ it''s about bringing in players who want to be here

Let me find the big stick to beat ourselves with

we must have some of the most depressing fans ever to log onto a forum

I dread to think what twitter is like

[quote user="ruthers1"]None, it rarely - if ever happens. In fact I can''t think of a single player we''ve ever snatched from under the noses of a rival club. If we sign someone its invariably because we dont''t need to outbid anyone else - ie because we''re the only club in for them. So stop wasting your time talking about this fancy Dan and that fancy Dan player because fancy Dans have many suitors and we won''t get involved in any of that. No Siree. It''s always a player with no choices to make for an undisclosed fee. What a shame nobody else was in for our Ricky at the time eh?!![/quote]

I amazed that you feel this way, all your other posts are so positive about the club. [;)]

And its about unicorns, and pixies and rainbows.

I''m sorry AJ, but the players who want to be here, 9 times out of 10, want to be here for the £££££.

Robbie Brady''s schtick about choose the club over others was lovely, but I imagine the main reason was the numbers in his paycheck and the signing on fee up front. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, I have chosen pretty much all my jobs by how much the salary is)

Poor old ruthers just cannot help himself. He tries so hard to disguise his true identity bless him. [;)]

Wasnt Ryan Bennett heading off to swansea when we then bid for him?

It looks like this question will rank along side other classics like "What have the Romans ever done for us?" and "Who had a starter?"

In reality, it is very rare that we''ll know for certain which clubs are in for which players. I think I remember reading that we beat Newcastle to Leroy Fer, but how do we know that Newcastle were ever definitely interested?[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]And its about unicorns, and pixies and rainbows.

I''m sorry AJ, but the players who want to be here, 9 times out of 10, want to be here for the £££££.

Robbie Brady''s schtick about choose the club over others was lovely, but I imagine the main reason was the numbers in his paycheck and the signing on fee up front. (Not that there is anything wrong with that, I have chosen pretty much all my jobs by how much the salary is)[/quote]Indeed, nearly all players will go for the club who offers most money (with some exceptions, of course), but very few admit it.

Brighton beat a champions league club to bobby zamora...certainly doesn''t mean they will get the best deal there just because they beat a tem to his signature!As someone said pick the player that wants to be part of it not the one using us as a barganing tool.

It''s the same with managers too isn''t it? Never get anybody in demand (Roeder, Gunn, Grant, Hughton, Lambert, Adams, Neil, Walker) although that has worked out ok occasionally!

[quote user="ruthers1"]It''s the same with managers too isn''t it? Never get anybody in demand (Roeder, Gunn, Grant, Hughton, Lambert, Adams, Neil, Walker) although that has worked out ok occasionally![/quote]

No it''s not the same as your OP has been shown to be incorrect.