Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Leroy Fer

Ah b0ll0x.

Meanwhile Swansea are reportedly after Van Dijk for £8 million. Don''t know why we don''t just go in with a £8-10 million bid if we mean business. I think everyone can see we need a centre half, of course the man the makes the decision may think otherwise.

The way transfers work, I reckon half the premiership have £8m bids in age and already have a good idea of van dijks preferred destination. Just like hernandez when man u got him. All the big clubs were in for him and £7m was the going rate. His mind was made up as soon as man u were in for him and no £9m bid was going to change anything.

I also think a lot is just paper talk.

Southampton and Everton linked - why? Saints lost out on Alderwireld (sp) to Spurs and Everton could lose Stones to Man Utd/Chelsea so easy as pie to link a young and promising center half with them.

Maybe we could use this to our advantage and look to re-sign him on a cut price deal, where he can then show us what he''s capable of under a quality manager in a more attacking system?

Wasn''t Fer''s failed medical at Everton before we bought him some kind of ruse by them to lower his price?Buying players with injury problems isn''t usually a good idea unless you can sort the problem out. If Fer''s knee problem is due to say an underlying but correctable back problem then he''d be worth another shot at say £3-4m. From memory Dani Ayala had mysterious injury problems which got diagnosed and sorted out after he had moved on, which raises questions about the medical team in place at Norwich.But anyone who''s had serious cartilage or ligament damage is usually not worth bothering with. If Fer''s knee is injured due to repeated ''abnormal'' flexing, as I suspect might be the case from observing his play, then forget it.

[quote user="93vintage"]Wasn''t Fer''s failed medical at Everton before we bought him some kind of ruse by them to lower his price?

[/quote]I remember it being said that Fer didn''t go to Everton because at the time Fellaini was expected to move but didn''t.

Obviously medicals have to be done, but there have been a lot of failed medicals in the past (some of them ridiculous) where the players in question didn''t suffer any ill-effects.Demba Ba failed a medical at Stoke because of his knee, and he''s done very well for himself since. In 2003, Gabriel Milito failed a medical at Real Madrid because of his knee, signed for Zaragoza, missed only 15 games in four years and then signed for Barcelona. George Boyd failed one at Forest because of his eyesight, and Aly Cissokho did likewise at Milan because of his teeth.

As Indy_Bones says, he could be worth another go if we got him at a discount, but only if his knee isn''t a lost cause. If I remember correctly he had a lot of hamstring trouble, which can sometimes be remedied (Ryan Giggs had this but took up yoga). Because of wages we''d almost certainly need to sell or involve a swap.

Don''t understand a lot of the ill feeling towards Fer. For me he was one of our better performers that season - in an otherwise very poor side. Whilst his style of play isn''t as "energetic" as a fan favourite like Johnson, he certainly has a lot more quality.

A fit Leroy Fer would undoubtedly improve our squad and so I would welcome him back if he was available on the cheap.