Sign in to follow this  

I await the avalanche of new signings appearing tomorrow LDC.

With what we have we will be an arm wrestle for 17th.

At least we are 12th at the moment. Enjoy!

Top six is not achievable for some of the biggest clubs in England, let alone us. United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton. 7 into 6 doesn''t go.

For what it''s worth, I think we''ll be Ok and finish anywhere between 12 and 17th. I think we could do with an extra striker, but you never know, Jerome and Grabban might hit the ground running.

Still, LDC has ticked a few things off his checklist.

1. Create an over the top or controversial thread.

2. Get lots of debate going.

3. Get lots of attention.

4. Defend original post.

5. Continue to get challenged by fellow posters.

6. Get lots of attention.

Repeat ad nauseaum

Just hang on a minute and hold those cotton pickin'' horses.

England just bowled Australia out for 60 in 99 minutes with Broad taking 8-15. Heck, LDC, maybe you are right and even top 4 is in reach. Now, anybody got Maria''s number?

The thread might have been better served by asking " can we take points of any of the top 6 this season? "

Then the answer would be yes we can, on a one off game we will always have a chance of a "surprise" result, BUT too finish in the top 6 when the likes of Spurs and Liverpool to name just 2 will struggle to achieve that with their starting point in current squad and financial clout, pure fantasy I''m afraid.

[quote user="Wes Hooly Fan"]Top six is not achievable for some of the biggest clubs in England, let alone us. United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Everton. 7 into 6 doesn''t go.

For what it''s worth, I think we''ll be Ok and finish anywhere between 12 and 17th. I think we could do with an extra striker, but you never know, Jerome and Grabban might hit the ground running.

Still, LDC has ticked a few things off his checklist.

1. Create an over the top or controversial thread.

2. Get lots of debate going.

3. Get lots of attention.

4. Defend original post.

5. Continue to get challenged by fellow posters.

6. Get lots of attention.

Repeat ad nauseaum[/quote]

You''ve had three goes on this thread - all of them derisory.  So for the record -1. It''s not in the least controversial to aim high. 2. Debate is good.3. What are your posts if not attention seeking - after your three derisory posts, you got mine.4. Defending a post is what people do on here.5. If everyone agreed about everything, this place would grind to a stop.6. If you''re that cynical, why do you bother to post at all?

On topic - AN is a manager going to the top.   We are a stepping stone to that and part of his career development will be seen to be the effect he has on Norwich in the next season or two.   That effect will be to see us pushing up the table, not grovelling around at the bottom.  That means we will be in the top ten and on the fringes of the top six, maybe a few points away, but near enough to challenge - like West Ham and Southampton did for times last season.  They dropped away, but to even be near the top six was a good achievement. We surely have to try and emulate that - and if we do, top six will be near enough to challenge for come the end of the season. 

So many people on here appear to want to talk down our chances and see us as grovellers at the foot of the table.  I think we''re made of stronger stuff and have a manager who is going places.  Watch this space.

You sound like one of those Oopswich fans, living on past glories. At the same time, you''ve mastered the little old Norwich, hat in hand sentiment with the stepping stone comment.

Ipswich finished 5th in the 2000-01 season. It can be done... just not by Norwich

Personally, I think Lakey''s being a little pessimistic. At the start of every season I expect us to win the damn thing outright - and this season I feel no different.

Had the OP come from anybody else then that person certainly would have not received some of these responses. Anyway, its a decent OP subject to get reaction and debate from, exactly what message boards are designed to do.

I do get where you are coming from LDC and respect your opinion, and it certainly is not impossible.

BUT.....and its a big BUT, there are definitely more than six clubs with way more resources than us and much stronger squads, even when taking into account that our squad does seem to be under estimated by many, including City fans.

I feel that a Stoke or a Southampton could possibly sneak into the top six with a fair wind and luck on their side, and that if we survive this season and build our squad for two or three more seasons, then and only then could we dream of such a situation, and as the season pass it will probably be a bigger challenge.

Sure, you can do it for a week or two, up to maybe Christmas, but then as we have seen so many times those clubs with squad strength and depth really start to push on as the "surprise package" is found out and the squad doesnt hold up .