Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

norwich make offer for porto's juan quintero

Bethnal, can you think of any comparable, young S or Central American players opting for the PL? Genuine question. There''s always got to be a first.one I guess.

westcoastcanary -

Ha, it is true there aren''t many. Although not sure if that is due to the players not wanting to come or the difficulties there can be in obtaining work permits for them.

There have been a few though, Montaro at Swansea, Ramirez at Southampton, Coates at Sunderland, Yacob at WBA, Zarate to Birmingham (now West Ham), Enner Valencia at West Ham, Antonio Valencia at Wigan (then Man U).

It is certainly a path less well trodden, and the Premier League often hasn''t been kind to South American players. But with the ever increasing wealth and the gradual change of playing style in the Premier League it does seem to be changing that way.

I may be wrong (haven''t checked) but I think all those were at least a couple of years older than Quintero when they came to England, i.e. they''d all got more European club football under their belts before being lured to the PL

Anyway, we shall see in due course whether there is anything in this but I remain hugely sceptical.

Don''t get me wrong, I have no doubt this transfer will not happen. I wouldn''t be amazed if it is even a name mentioned in the halls of Carrow Road. But, theoretically, I don''t think it would be beyond the club at the moment, due to the player seemingly being prepared to drop down to a small Italian team at least for the short term.

Ramirez is probably the most similar of the players mentioned, 22 when he first joined Saints after a couple of years in Italian football. Quintero has been in Europe for 3 years now, 1 in Italy and 2 in Portugal.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Bethnal, can you think of any comparable, young S or Central American players opting for the PL? Genuine question. There''s always got to be a first.one I guess.[/quote]One of the first I can remember had a decent debut... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVdaDkiIOfMUnbelievable scenes Jeff! [:)]

Makes sense if he goes to Bologna. Opposition will give him time there and won''t look to kick him off the ball like in England. Obviously wouldn''t be up to the challenge of coming to a big club.

can see the logic of moving to England its now the most watched league in the world

you have one good season and people will pay silly money to sign you

I don''t think he has joined Bologna, reports of that are almost a month old. He appreantly has attitudinal and even weight problems, and is a little bit selfish on the ball - could be another Adriano (and so many others) or could be the one to keep us up. If he fails, we hardly lack back up.

Juan Quintero’s proposed move to Bologna could be set to collapse, after Porto demanded more money.

It was reported last week that the Rossoblu had agreed to sign the Colombian international on an initial loan basis, with the option of making the deal permanent for €15m.

However, Tuttomercatoweb is now reporting that, following the agreement being made public, Porto have raised the price to €20m.

It does seem that the deals mentioned are an initial loan season - presumably similar to RVW to St Etienne - so such a deal would not be beyond us; the ££ on offer if we survive would give us far more money to fulfil a transfer. It does still seem a tad unlikely, but you never know.

Does look like we might be hijacking his move away. Possibly another McNally masterstroke clincher?

I hate to agree with alartz but he''s right.while I would like nothing more than for this one to be real and correct, I just can''t see it happening.I would very and absolutely loved to be proved wrong though

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]Interesting that Ladbrokes thinks a deal has "been put on the table" with Porto: [url]http://news.ladbrokes.com/football/premier-league/messi-rodriguez-way-norwich-struck-gold.html[url/][/quote]Judging the video he has the Hooli qualities to him, although far better, including frustratingly overplaying it.Do agree with the last two.Not positive of him coming here. It does have the feel of his agent trying to get more interest going

Oh myyyyyy.....a player I have admired (admittedly first starting following him due to Fifa and FM). Seen him a good few times now and although not living up to his hype, he has the ability to become world class. Would never pull this off IMO :(

This farce shows exactly what has been wrong with our transfer strategy this summer. We could have signed David Fox in July for a pittance in plenty of time for the start of the season, but instead we are faffing around apparently trying to buy some expensive multi-capped Colombian World Cup star who will never be on board in time for the Palace game.

I really, really hope there''s something in this. Much as Redders and Wes have moments that make you purr, this guy is something else. If he hadn''t had form and fitness issues we''d not even have a prayer of signing him. Yeah it could backfire, but at least you''d get some crazy sexy football along the way. Let''s face it, we paid a similar amount for you-know-who and all we got was one towering header. Sod it, push the boat out - we can afford it.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]This farce shows exactly what has been wrong with our transfer strategy this summer. We could have signed David Fox in July for a pittance in plenty of time for the start of the season, but instead we are faffing around apparently trying to buy some expensive multi-capped Colombian World Cup star who will never be on board in time for the Palace game.[/quote]Brilliant [:D]

There was a time, some 20-25 yrs ago ,when I would have prided myself on knowing most players accross every top league in European football.......but I must concede, that other than possibly subconciously seeing him playing in the Wold Cup, I gave never heard of this guy??

Part of the thrill of being in the Premier League is being linked to class players like this! Whether it''s little more than agent talk or Chinese whispers the faint hope of this being pulled off is what it''s all about.

It couldn''t happen ... Could it?